Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D Robot!

Please check out my project on deviant art and comment/favorite and watch if you like it. I still have a lot to learn so if you can post advice in this thread I will appreciate it. Thanks!

http://johnyboyj.deviantart.com/art/A-Dark-Future-353596862

Replies

• oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    post the image on polycount please.

also.. should we comment on the robot or the darkness. right now there is more blank black space than robot. can't really comment on whats not really there.
  • johnyboyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes because all good artwork is artwork in which every space of the canvas is full of extreme detail... Sometimes simplicity is better and if you couldn't see the simple concept behind that project then maybe I need to explain it. The robot is emerging from the darkness (sorry if I couldn't add a bunch of detail to the obvious pitch black room/area) the darkness represents the dangerous situation he is in. Now please read a book.
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    any specific books in mind?
  • Popolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popolo polycounter lvl 5
    johnyboyj wrote: »
    Yes because all good artwork is artwork in which every space of the canvas is full of extreme detail... Sometimes simplicity is better and if you couldn't see the simple concept behind that project then maybe I need to explain it. The robot is emerging from the darkness (sorry if I couldn't add a bunch of detail to the obvious pitch black room/area) the darkness represents the dangerous situation he is in. Now please read a book.

Just because someone is commenting on your work that you don't agree with (And I have to say that he has a point, what I'm looking at is darkness) doesn't give you a reason to offend that person. Especially here on polycount, the advice you get is great. Sometimes a bit harsh, but that's how you learn. I have myself posted here, gotten good and bad comments, and learned from that experience.
    The people here are professional and talented if you strive to become either one of them, try being a bit more humble.

When it comes to the actual concept, the darkness are way to strong in that image. Even if you want to portray the darkness in the image you have quite some glowing areas (the yellow visor) that would cast light around it and give of more of the shape. Take a look at the classic "creepy" movie poster where you see a face ascending from the darkness. They usually give a strong light concentrated on the head or give a strong backlight to give some interest.

This post isn't meant to offend or upset. If you gotten either one of them you have my excuse.
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    Renders like that are fine, but it would be nice to see the robot in its full context in a separate image.

As it stands, its pretty hard to make out what he even looks like. Images like that work best with iconic figures that have already been established in the viewers mind. But since I've personally never seen this robot before in its entirety, I have no idea what he looks like. It's hard to even let my imagination guess.

More images please!
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Were it not for the title I would have assumed this was a turkey in a welders mask.

If this did indeed take 40+ hours I would suggest you put down 3D for a while and focus on learning artistic fundamentals, especially composition and design. Artistic fundamentals are the root of all successful images and no amount of deep meaning is going to compensate for that.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @johnyboyj: Imgur and similar services provide really easy and fast image hosting that's easily linkable and user friendly.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    ...I still have a lot to learn so if you can post advice in this thread I will appreciate it. Thanks! http://johnyboyj.deviantart.com/art/A-Dark-Future-353596862
    oobersli wrote: »
    right now there is more blank black space than robot. can't really comment on whats not really there.
    Sometimes simplicity is better and if you couldn't see the simple concept behind that project then maybe I need to explain it. The robot is emerging from the darkness (sorry if I couldn't add a bunch of detail to the obvious pitch black room/area) the darkness represents the dangerous situation he is in. Now please read a book.

anchorman_well_that_escalated_quickly_966.jpg

On that note, are you asking for commentary on your modeling and texturing skills, or your rendering and composition skills? I'd assume it's the former, given the nature of polycount, but having the majority of the model obscured is not conducive to criticism and you seem rather defensive of the composition?
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with everything that has been said.

Images like this are hard to understand if we don't know the character in the first place. Posting a separate image with the robot by itself so we can see it would help a lot.

When i first started drawing (2d) i would draw dragons a lot, but i couldn't draw feet, so i would always hide them behind rocks. It feels like you are hiding most of the character behind darkness.
    (This isnt meant to be offensive, just an observation based on my own experiences) Again posting an image on the robot in full light would go a long way to helping here.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Now please read a book.

You will do well here.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    If you want to create a scene where a character is in a pitch black room I suggest you get reference to see what others have done to make it successful and do that for this image. Right now the image does not read how you want it to read. For art to be good the viewer has to understand it without the artist having to explain it. anyway that's what I learned from taking art theory and art history... Right now what you are trying to say with your explanation is not happening with this image.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12

I think its funny you are telling somebody who in an environment artist at Terminal Reality to read a book about art. Learning how to take critiques is the first rule of being an artist, and not being a dick to fellow artists is rule 2.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    qm.gif
    Sorry, I just needed an excuse to make one of these.
    capture.jpg

Love this cat.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    i think you guys scared him away
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11

Is that a problem? :/
  • Jpeppa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm buzzed. That is all.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    dude.. i needed a smile. i wasn't trying to sound like a dick. I was just trying to make a point about your presentation. This isn't deviant art where every wannabe will drool over anything made in photoshop or 3ds max.

I understand if you're trying to sell a theme or idea behind the model, but it didn't come across. To me.. i just see a beginner modeler trying to hide imperfections and lack of skill. I was in the same boat at one time and would try dumb rendering shit to hide my faults. But don't post on polycount expecting praise. people critique stuff here and expect to see more than just a dark image.

If you wanted to do darkness.. don't make it completely dark. brighten it up 20% and add a background. get some reference on movie posters/movies or other illustrations that are trying to sell the same idea you're aiming for and use that as a guide of where to start.

and if I was a dick, you haven't been exposed to the more abrasive people here. I consider myself pretty nice. :P
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and if I was a dick, you haven't been exposed to the more abrasive people here.

hahaha +1
  • johnyboyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Nah I just spend most of each day in school, work, or both.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I appreciate it and will work on each area that I need to fix.. which unfortunately is a lot.

Sorry for the comment earlier, the comment I read just came off as rude and lazy when I first read it. Obviously each forum is different, and the last couple of forums I tried had nothing but dick comments with no actual advice. But I got a good laugh at out of some of these posts as well as very good advice; so a guess this forum is different.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Please check out my project on deviant art and comment/favorite and watch if you like it.
    post the image on polycount please.

I think this comment is very key in getting future crits in other threads you may start. A lot of people including myself at times will just close the thread if the images are not directly visible in the thread itself. I only went to your link because i read a few comments that spark my interest.

Also the please fav/watch you have commented here and under all your deviant art images comes off as annoying/needy to me for some reason, feels like you are aiming for follower rather then helpful critics. Then again that is the nature of DA and a personal opinion of mine.
  • JoshWilkinson