Home Technical Talk

Help rigging a Robot

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
herrj5880 polycounter lvl 5
I have recently switch from LW to Maya (tried 3dsmax didn’t like it) i have tried rigging in LW but gave up early on because it was so complicated now that i have switch to Maya i want to rig. I have made a clank model (From Ratchet and clank for those that dont know ) for a project of mine. I have done some basic tutorials on how to rig in Maya and i got the basics but now i have run into a problem on rigging his arms and legs. I want to them retract and have the control curve thing follow and still be able to control the leg with it. I have spent a long time searching Google(weeks) and have had no luck so i thought i would come ask. If its needed i can post some images to try to better explain my problem.

Replies

• Chris Kuhner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chris Kuhner polycounter lvl 6
    First thing- I'm more familiar with 3ds Max rigging than I am with Maya. However, I do have a thought that might be worth exploring. It sounds like you need to create some squash and stretch legs. Instead of stretching the mesh, you could possibly weight the separate pieces at 100% in given areas. That way, when the rig stretches, it looks like they're telescope-legging.

There may definitely be a better way of doing this, but sometimes tossing ideas back and forth can lead to a solution. Good luck!
  • herrj5880
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    herrj5880 polycounter lvl 5
    well i had the same idea. i was using it but when ever i scale the bones the ik control curve did not follow and i couldn't make it work and yea i think there's a better/ efficient way of doing it. Thanks for answering do you have any more ideas ? BTW your art looks really cool:poly142: