Gooner442 polycounter lvl 6
Hey all,

1 x Intel® Core™ i7-3770K € 289,
1 x MSI Z77A-GD65 € 162,90*
1 x Corsair DIMM 16 GB DDR3-1600 Quad-Kit € 99,90
1 x Corsair TX650 € 79,90
graphic card ????

Total = € 631,70

I'm looking for best I can get for the least :-) ...isn't everyone?.. money is a bit of an issue, I don't want to spend as much as €1000. I use 3ds max and photoshop, with the odd bit of zbrush, mari would be nice too for the future though I know that needs a beefy graphic card.

Any advice would be great, if I should or shouldn't go for an i7? if I'm better off getting an i5 and then spending more on a graphic card?

Thanks

Mart

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do go for the I7 3770, its a very good price vs performance CPU in the Intel line. You can pay less and get less, or pay more get less value. At least with US prices, the CPUS past the 3770 get a lot more expensive for the performance, and the cpus under it the price curve is pretty straight, so if you can afford it, do it.

You can go for the Standard 3770 if you're not going to overclock, the 3770K is the "unlocked" version for overclockers. Keep in mind that I7's overclock automatically to keep up with system load.

IMO the CPU should be the most expensive component in your build, as it will be one of the last things you will upgrade. Generally upgrading a CPU means doing a whole system rebuild(New mobo, ram and CPU at min). But upgrading a video card in say, 2 years, is really easy.

I tend to go with mid range(in the US that is $200-ish) video cards, and buy a new one every 2-3 years, rather than go with the $400-500 range high end cards, again the price curve gets out of whack on the high end there. Something like an Nvidia 560Ti, 570, or 660Ti represents a good value these days.

For instance, here are some numbers:

Nvidia 680, $460USD, passmark score: 5,549
    Nvidia 660TI, $270USD, passmark score: 4,652
    Nvidia 560TI, $170USD, passmark score: 3,470

So the 680 is 1.19x faster than the 660TI, and 1.7x more expensive
    The 680 is 1.59x faster than the 560TI, and 2.7x more expensive

All three of these cards will give you very good performance paired with an I7 3770 and 16GB of ram, so its all about price curve/value for money. Now, your prices may be totally different so you'll have to do the research for your local market.

More GPU benchmark crap here: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
  • _DMage_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try out the amd 7970 or 7950 or 6800 series
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Do go for the I7 3770, its a very good price vs performance CPU in the Intel line. You can pay less and get less, or pay more get less value. At least with US prices, the CPUS past the 3770 get a lot more expensive for the performance, and the cpus under it the price curve is pretty straight, so if you can afford it, do it.

You can go for the Standard 3770 if you're not going to overclock, the 3770K is the "unlocked" version for overclockers. Keep in mind that I7's overclock automatically to keep up with system load.

IMO the CPU should be the most expensive component in your build, as it will be one of the last things you will upgrade. Generally upgrading a CPU means doing a whole system rebuild(New mobo, ram and CPU at min). But upgrading a video card in say, 2 years, is really easy.

I tend to go with mid range(in the US that is $200-ish) video cards, and buy a new one every 2-3 years, rather than go with the $400-500 range high end cards, again the price curve gets out of whack on the high end there. Something like an Nvidia 560Ti, 570, or 660Ti represents a good value these days.

All three of these cards will give you very good performance paired with an I7 3770 and 16GB of ram, so its all about price curve/value for money. Now, your prices may be totally different so you'll have to do the research for your local market.

More GPU benchmark crap here: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

What would you recommend CPU wise then?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    What would you recommend CPU wise then?

The 3770 if that wasn't clear.

I would go with a 3770 and a cheaper card like the 560Ti before going down to an I5 or something, because zbrush is really CPU intensive, and anything to do with baking will be faster with the I7. IMO CPU power tends to be a little more important than GPU for general game dev stuff.
  • Gooner442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great info Earthquake!.. thankyou. It makes sense as it would save me money in the future. Regarding the 3770 or 3770k, I understand what overclocking is, just don't understand if it's advised or 'normal' Where you said 'Keep in mind that I7's overclock automatically to keep up with system load', is that regarding both the i7's?... not really sure what it means as I thought you had to manually overclock a CPU.

Do you (or anyone else) have any recommendations for a motherboard or Psu? - would a 650w suffice?

DMage, I'll look into AMD cards.

Whilst on that point, is there a particular difference between nvidia and amd graphic cards for 3D?... is one more reliable etc?
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    Nvidia is so much more reliable than AMD for 3d.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master

i dunno man... i think the better way to look at it is simpler than that... passmark points per dollar spent:
    Nvidia 680, 12.06 points per dollar
    Nvidia 660TI, 17.23 points per dollar
    Nvidia 560TI, 20.41 points per dollar

if you're on a budget, that's all you should really be looking at, especially for a modeling/rendering rig. if 3dsmax/maya are struggling to render high poly stuff before you bake down, try altering your workflow to compensate for that... but on the hardware listed in the original post, i can't see how there would ever be a problem (except didn't the 400 and 500 series of cards have issues with 3dsmax/maya? fermi chipset issues or something?)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Nvidia is so much more reliable than AMD for 3d.

this, is also bullshit in my opinion. for my entire life since the age of 16 (my first build) people have been telling me that, and every nVidia card i've had* has caused rediculous issues, but the machine i had before this one was an AMD 6950 2GB card, which you could swap out the bios so it had all the stats and specs of a 6970... AND it didn't void the warranty. never had a single problem with that card, at all, ever.

*my new machine has a gtx670, and it hasn't had any problems yet. but it's only a week old so...
  • Gooner442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darn, conflicting opinions make choices so much harder! :-) ...no, thanks all. What should I look for in a motherboard, do some function better with nvidia and AMD cards?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    personally i'd go for the 660ti.

the 400 and 500 series cards used the same chipsets and had issues: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79527&highlight=fermi&page=2

unconfirmed as to whether they truly fixed the issues or not.

for gaming the 560TI is great (my kid has one in his machine, can run just about everything on awesome mode), i have a 670 (i chose it because i didn't like the idea of running with 3/4 the memory busses that the 660TI uses). if you're on a budget and can't stretch to the 670 then go for the 660TI the performance difference according to most review sites isn't huge but the price point seems to be very good.
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this, is also bullshit in my opinion. for my entire life since the age of 16 (my first build) people have been telling me that, and every nVidia card i've had* has caused rediculous issues, but the machine i had before this one was an AMD 6950 2GB card, which you could swap out the bios so it had all the stats and specs of a 6970... AND it didn't void the warranty. never had a single problem with that card, at all, ever.

*my new machine has a gtx670, and it hasn't had any problems yet. but it's only a week old so...

I should of noted that I've never experienced using AMD. I just read in the past a lot of articles or more so personal stories between nvidia and amd. Which is likely outdated.

But then few startup programs like I think Mari wasn't compatible in release with AMD. And there's a few phyx sims that prefer nvid which doesn't relate to OP

I was being ignorant because that's also what I hear/heard all the time.
  • Gooner442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The 660ti is €270 and the 670 is €36.. in pounds and euros it seems to cost twice that of dollars!.. is there normally such a difference between the US and europe with computer components?

Intel® Core™ i7-3770K € 289,
    MSI Z77A-GD65 € 162,90
    Corsair DIMM 16 GB DDR3-1600 Quad-Kit € 99,90
    Corsair TX650 € 79,90
    Nvidia 660ti € 270

Total = € 900

...shit, that's pretty much what I'd like, though it's 100-200 more than I wanted to spend. I have to check out some more websites for comparisons, I've been using a German one called alternate.de, it's possibly I can order from the UK if it works out cheaper.
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gooner442 wrote: »
    The 660ti is €270 and the 670 is €36.. in pounds and euros it seems to cost twice that of dollars!.. is there normally such a difference between the US and europe with computer components?

MSI Z77A-GD65 € 162,90
    Corsair TX650 € 79,90
    Nvidia 660ti € 270

Total = € 900

...shit, that's pretty much what I'd like, though it's 100-200 more than I wanted to spend. I have to check out some more websites for comparisons, I've been using a German one called alternate.de, it's possibly I can order from the UK if it works out cheaper.

All I know is that's quite cheap for the quality of machine you're getting :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master

MSI Z77A-GD65 € 162,90
    Corsair TX650 € 79,90
    Nvidia 660ti € 270

Total = € 900

if price is an issue, maybe try finding some 1333 mhz version of your ram? bear in mind that all cpu's out there run at 1333 as standard, and anything above that is overclocked. when manufacturers make "1600 mhz" ram, all they're saying is that it will run stable at that speed, but it's still overclocked, and more often than not you actually have to set it to that speed in your BIOS... most BIOS's will default to 1333 on build!

and seriously, you will never notice the difference, unless you're planning on overclocking your CPU to the 5+ghz mark.
  • jgreasley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I should of noted that I've never experienced using AMD. I just read in the past a lot of articles or more so personal stories between nvidia and amd. Which is likely outdated.

But then few startup programs like I think Mari wasn't compatible in release with AMD. And there's a few phyx sims that prefer nvid which doesn't relate to OP

I was being ignorant because that's also what I hear/heard all the time.

Mari runs on AMD with the latest drivers as of Mari 1.6.
  • Gooner442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just going back to the graphic card debate, on the German website I'm using (alternate.de)the Radeon HD 7870 is going for €179 and the Radeon HD 7850 for €149. I don't know if the radeon are good/bad but the HD 7870 has a passmark of 4,059, so I'm thinking it's good value.... ans saves me 100 over the 660ti
  • HardBaller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HardBaller polycounter lvl 7
    Hey Gooner. Yes eu is a bit more expensive then us. don't know why but that's just how it's always been and prolly will be. As for the card you mentioned. I use the HD7870oc myself (pre-overclocked version). I worked in 3ds max and work with maya, zbrush, photoshop and never (so far) had any issues with it. I also play all my games on max settings without any problems and if what jgreasley said about mari is true then i really think it's best price/value atm to get.

Btw. is the i5 really that much worse then the i7? i use an i5-3570K (ivy bridge) and it works great (highest render so far 1.6mil poly in 3ds max no issues) tbh.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great info Earthquake!.. thankyou. It makes sense as it would save me money in the future. Regarding the 3770 or 3770k, I understand what overclocking is, just don't understand if it's advised or 'normal' Where you said 'Keep in mind that I7's overclock automatically to keep up with system load', is that regarding both the i7's?... not really sure what it means as I thought you had to manually overclock a CPU.

A. All I7 CPUs are designed to automatically overclock when needed, to an extent, they will not OC to an extreme amount like you may see people doing manually.
    B. Go for the 3770 over the 3770K if you don't specifically intend to overclock.
    C. If you don't really know how to overclock, its not something you should be concerned with. IMO its generally better, for a 3d workstation, to leave your system at stock clock speeds. Overclocking can cause heat and stability issues, as well as shorten the lifespan of your hardware. So unless you really know what you're doing, skip it.

Now before 10 people jump in and tell me "OCing is the best bro!" sure, if you're experienced with this sort of thing and know what sort of cooling you need, know how to balance voltages or whatever to get a stable OC rig that is fine, its just not good advice for someone who does not.
    HardBaller wrote: »
    Btw. is the i5 really that much worse then the i7? i use an i5-3570K (ivy bridge) and it works great (highest render so far 1.6mil poly in 3ds max no issues) tbh.

No, the I5 is totally fine, its just that the 3770 isn't much more expensive but is noticeably better. After the 3770, you have to spend a lot of money to get a noticeable improvement.

I5 3570 - 7138 - $214 - VALUE: 33
    I7 3770 - 9607 - $290 - VALUE: 33
    I7 3930K - 12097 - $560 - VALUE: 21
    I7 3970X - 12815 - $1000 - VALUE: 12

Value using Gir's Performance/price metric. You see the I5 and I7 are essentially the same value for the money, so if you can afford the 3770 it makes sense to buy it. The higher end Intel CPUs get into the retarded range value wise though. Once you get past the 3770 you're paying a premium to have the fastest hardware, which is fine if you can afford it, but doesn't make sense on a budget.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i dunno man... i think the better way to look at it is simpler than that... passmark points per dollar spent:
    Nvidia 680, 12.06 points per dollar
    Nvidia 660TI, 17.23 points per dollar
    Nvidia 560TI, 20.41 points per dollar

if you're on a budget, that's all you should really be looking at, especially for a modeling/rendering rig. if 3dsmax/maya are struggling to render high poly stuff before you bake down, try altering your workflow to compensate for that... but on the hardware listed in the original post, i can't see how there would ever be a problem (except didn't the 400 and 500 series of cards have issues with 3dsmax/maya? fermi chipset issues or something?)

I think you may have mis-read my post, as I've come to the same basic conclusions as you have.

A. The 560Ti, 660Ti, etc cards are much better value for money(I just used different math to show it). Even easier is to simply look at the passmark value chart: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_value.html
    B. Differences in view-port performance in most 3d apps(and esp ZB which is very CPU dependent) will be minimal for a $250 card vs a $500 card
    C. The CPU is the most important part, so don't go with a lesser CPU just to get a slightly better GPU. You say he wouldn't have trouble baking etc with this system(I7), and I'm saying that his bakes will be faster with a I7 vs downgrading to an I5. Not really contrary statements.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    yeah sorry EQ. i forgot to plug my brain charger in before i went to sleep last night lol!

but yeah i agree with everything you've said in the last two posts, and again if you want to shave off some of your costs, look at getting 1333mhz ram as you will absolutely not notice any gain from 1600mhz unless you're overclocking.

definitely get the i7. i had a 2600k, and it was fantastic. i now have a 3930k, and it's phenominal... you've seriously never seen AO maps baked so fast lol! the only difference between the standard, and the "k" series of chips is that you can manually set your clock multiplier with "k" series, it's an overclocking tool that is absolutely not necessary for having a solid, stable build that will last you a long time.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh and one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, if you can squeeze it into your budget you should consider a SSD drive for OS/programs/working art files(archive onto a HDD when you're done working on them). SSD prices are getting pretty reasonable these days, esp if you can stand a 120GB drive or so.
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh and one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, if you can squeeze it into your budget you should consider a SSD drive for OS/programs/working art files(archive onto a HDD when you're done working on them). SSD prices are getting pretty reasonable these days, esp if you can stand a 120GB drive or so.

Is it really worth the money for how much time you save? or would you say it's still one of those "extra-y" things. I didn't realize how much they dropped in the past year but I've never experienced one so I don't know where to prioritize a SSD in terms with the gpu/ram when budgeting.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it really worth the money for how much time you save? or would you say it's still one of those "extra-y" things. I didn't realize how much they dropped in the past year but I've never experienced one so I don't know where to prioritize a SSD in terms with the gpu/ram when budgeting.

IMO with a SSD its just a much snappier computing experience. If you want to sit down and record the time it saves you loading files or whatever per day, I'm not sure how big that number would be.
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IMO with a SSD its just a much snappier computing experience. If you want to sit down and record the time it saves you loading files or whatever per day, I'm not sure how big that number would be.

I see. Well it's certainly as you pointed out much more rationally affordable :thumbup:
  • Gooner442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again!.. really helping me save some much needed cash, have a virtual beer on me! :poly142:

CPU - Intel® Core™ i7-3770 € 252,23
    Motherboard - MSI Z77A-GD65 €162,90
    RAM - Corsair DIMM 16 GB DDR3-1600 Quad-Kit €99,90
    PSU - Corsair TX650 €79,90
    Graphic card - 1024MB Gainward GeForce GTX 560 Ti Phantom Aktiv PCIe 2.0 - €208,95

Total = € 804

There was only a difference of only €10-20 between the 1333 or 1600 mhz RAM, unless I'm missing something and someone has a link?

For the graphic card I found this http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/info/p830394_1024MB-Gainward-GeForce-GTX-560-Ti-Phantom-Aktiv-PCIe-2-0-x16--Bulk-.html Is this the correct model as it was €70-80 cheaper than other 560 ti cards?... the cards here http://www.mindfactory.de/search_result.php?search_query=GeForce+GTX+560+Ti&x=0&y=0

I know I'm being a tight arse :) ..but, anything else I can save on here?.. I don't know about the motherboard and not sure what to look for with one, I only now that the one I have here (MSI Z77A-GD65) is fine with a i7 3770, any advice for the motherboard option?
  • Gooner442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...and regarding the SS drive, would be nice... have to see what (if any) change I have
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    looks like the second link you posted has some cheaper ones to choose from.
  • Gooner442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just saw that, gone down in price since yesterday!

...are they all the same cards, don't understand what the difference is between them besides price
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    STOP
    if you go for a extra graphics card anyway you should buy a xeon
    its the same core as the i7 but without graphics
    its alot cheaper, so you can put the money somewhere else

http://www.alternate.de/html/product/Intel(R)/Xeon(R)_Prozessor_E3-1230V2/973312/?

also gigabyte mainboards are cheaper , ive seen some with the same features for 80€
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, motherboard is where I would cut costs here. A lot of the time with motherboards you're paying for extra ports you'll never use, extra overclocking features you'll never use, etc. More expensive doesn't necessarily mean better to the average user. A 2x more expensive mobo isn't going to make your computer run faster, just give you more options, that you may or may not need.

I just built a I7 3770 system here, and went with an inexpensive H77 micro-atx board. Despite being a small MATX board, it has USB 3, Sata 6GB, SLI, 4x ram slots, LAN, Audio, etc. It was about $80 and is super stable.
  • Gooner442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the info arrangemonk. I've looked at the Xeons, looks like they do the same job, and the i7's only advantage is for gaming. I did another search for Xeons on another website http://www.mindfactory.de/search_result.php/search_query/xeon+Prozessor+/Hardware/Prozessoren+(CPU).html and there were all sorts of different ones, am I looking for a particular type?.. there was one from that link 'Intel Xeon DP E5603 4x 1.60GHz So.1366 BOX' which costs € 172.25

This is my revised shopping list, including the Xeon, going only for 8gb RAM (will increase that later) Earthquake, thanks for the motherboard advice, I have gone with that too. This is the link for that motherboard http://www.alternate.de/html/product/ASRock/H77_Pro4-MVP/1000006/? Is that the correct one?... again there were so many others - http://www.alternate.de/html/search.html?searchCriteria=ASRock+H77+Pro4-M+LGA+1155

CPU - Intel® Xeon® Prozessor E3-1230V2 € 197,90
    Graphic Card - 1024MB Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC Aktiv PCIe 2.0 x16 € 191,70
    RAM - Corsair DIMM 8 GB DDR3-1333 Kit € 44,90
    PSU - 1 x Corsair TX650 € 79,90
    Motherboard - ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP (Sound G-LAN SATA3 USB 3.0) € 79,90
    Total = € 594.30

Other possible costs I presume could be a case, I have one, just don't know if it's large enough.. does it depend only on the size of the motherboard?... and do I need some kind of cooling system for the PSU?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You don't need any cooling for the PSU, and the CPU will come with a fan/heatsink as well.

That ASROCK mobo is a standard ATX board, so it will fit in any standard PC case. The only way you would have an issues is if you've got one of those pre-built cases, from dell, HP, etc, then they might not fit a new board. But any standard case will fit that motherboard without any issues.

This was the mobo I ended up with: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157303 Very similar to yours though.
  • kinggambitben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kinggambitben polycounter lvl 4
    Excuse me for dropping in randomly to the conversation. :)
    I'm saving up for a new rig from scratch as well; I want similar specs: 16gb ram, a good i7 chip, (Not sure on PSU, GPU, Mobo, tower, back up HD, a bamboo wacom, a ips screen (is this actually a boon for designing? Size? a cheap 2ndary monitor?)

Are there any reasons why I shouldn't just copy OP's wishlist specs? I honestly don't really have much of a preference since I'm also looking for a budget build (Maya, Zbrush, UDK, & Unity-oriented; I'm planning on buying parts during summer however).
  • Gooner442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Earthquake, more penny saving for me!.. maybe I can get that SS drive too!

kingambitben, I (as you may of noticed) am also no expert but I think I'm right in saying that the Xeon's are not meant for gaming, so when you plan on gaming, better go with the i7 3770.

...and good news for me, I will soon be receiving about €800 back from the very generous German tax-man :-) ....might just have to increase that RAM
  • Gooner442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, it's been a while but that tax money I talked about receiving last year has only just come through!... £850, which I now want to use for this computer.

I wanted to ask again about the xeon processors, on this link http://www.mindfactory.de/search_res...ren+(CPU).html ...there are all sorts of different ones, am I looking for a particular type?

Other than that below is what I had (the prices are from 6 months ago so I need to check them again) ...is there anything that's changed in the past 6 or so months that should make me change any of these components?

CPU - Intel® Xeon® Prozessor E3-1230V2 € 197,90
    Graphic Card - 1024MB Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC Aktiv PCIe 2.0 x16 € 191,70
    RAM - Corsair DIMM 8 GB DDR3-1333 Kit € 44,90
    PSU - 1 x Corsair TX650 € 79,90
    Motherboard - ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP (Sound G-LAN SATA3 USB 3.0) € 79,90
    Total = € 594.30
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Go for 16gb of ram, it's still fairly cheap these days, and probably go for a gtx 760 card, they just came out, and a decent jump over the 560 series.