Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Human body

Hey guys ive got a university assignment to create a body from scratch. I will be uploading my progress as i go, any feedback on improvements i can make would be much appreciated. This first upload is the base mesh of the body before i attach the head, then put it in Zbrush.
Reference images
modelingwefewaence_zpsb36d5cc7.jpg
Renders
bothbodies_zps817fda47.jpg
wireframefront_zpsa3bb5879.jpg
wireframeside_zps1305e641.jpg
wireframefront_zpsa3bb5879.jpg.html?sort=6&o=1
wireframeback_zps8536c39b.jpg

foot_zpsdc574758.jpg
hand_zpsd46300b6.jpg

Replies

• DEDE_pig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEDE_pig polycounter lvl 8
    I think you should take a look at arshlevon's basemesh in polycount wiki to have a better understand of how a basemesh should look like.

What I feel is that most of the lines are actually not needed.
    Rmb, you are using this mesh to sculpt in Zbrush.
    So it better to make all evenly squared.
    All the topo for animation is not needed now.

Another abt basemesh is simplicity. your one now look too complicated.

Your arms have this very weird pop out at the joint area, which is weird.
  • MajorTomE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MajorTomE polycounter lvl 7
    http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x456/Tom_Elgon/Untitled-1-6_zps8dc8a3b0.jpg

There are a couple of things I reckon you should change to make this mesh a good candidate for Zbrush.

1. The edges travelling up the back make a dogleg above the buttocks. It would be much better if the lines of edges flow in straighter lines up and down the body.

2. Even out the polygon density if you can. Try not to have lines of edge running too close together in places then far apart in others, otherwise when you sub divide the model in zbrush you'll not be able to get the same level of detail out all of the mesh at a given sub-division level.

3. Chamfer the edges running across the thigh to help the polygons in this area move closer to being of an even size and square.

4. Try to make the silhouette from the shoulders to the neck a bit smoother.

5. Try and get the lines of edges running up and down the trunk to be in a grid too. Try and get rid the U shape of edges.

6. Add some edge loops into the lower leg to help the polygons there be less rectangular and more square. Rectangular polygons are rubbish to try and manipulate at lower subdivision levels.

7. Even out those lines of edges in the chest so that you are able to sculpt even polygon density across this area.

In general try and get the polygons to be squarer and the density of polygons to even as much as you can. Doing this will mean you have any snags in the mesh during sculpting that will stop you from creating the muscles and shapes you want.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    +1 for MajorTomE's post.

Also draw inspiration from these
    http://wiki.polycount.com/BaseMesh
  • bigphun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those poles on the crotch and butt are going to be a disaster no mater what you intend to do with the model, turn those into quads running from front to back.
  • ZandiBrowne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I changed my base mesh and fixed all the issues stated and started the sculpt. Heres my base sculpt just getting all the forms of the body. I would appreciate any feedback.

render1_zpsbff0d22c.jpg
    render2_zpsd5db64c5.jpg
    render3_zpsdfaf40db.jpg
    render4_zpsf1388813.jpg
  • ZandiBrowne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This was my edited base mesh.Bothrender_zpsf222cb3e.jpg
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vavavoom polycounter lvl 11
    i'm certainly no expert, but i spent ages agonizing how to form body shapes in low poly so i thought i'd try and help.

the foot needs more volume and maybe define the ankle bone more (i don't know anatomy so i hope the paint over makes sense).

hope its a little help :)
    fuox3c.jpg
  • gyarados
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is it possible if you could give any more information about the project? how much time do you have left? and what is the goal? a nude male? textured? game ready? clothed?

To be honest, i would go to level 2 and delete the higher subdivisions or just re-import the base mesh you just showed and start again, but this time be more self-critical and systematically go through each body part and pull up some research/reference and slowly start looking and sculpting and re-evaluating, progressively moving up in sub-division levels. By no means should you be haphazardly sculpting or rushing into things.

On a positive note the newest base mesh does look alot better. I would remove that edge below the pecs or just use set flow to even it out.