Home Technical Talk

hard surface modeling (modo)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
repete polycounter lvl 6
Hello all

Trying to get my head around rounding off edges in modo (unsuccessfully as you can see in the pics).

needsrounding_zps5d92d0bb.png

moregeo_zps608b98a3.png

What is the best way to fix the above so the edges are nice around and how to prevent it in the first place. I am just using standard subds but I have been told to use pixar subd's and the edge weight tool because it's easier, it is and it works but I want to learn the proper way to prep a mesh for hard surface modeling and how to resolve these sorts of issues even if it's tedious work.

Thanks for any advice :thumbup:

Replies

• WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want the edges to look smoother when subd'd you'll have to add more iterations to it ... you're only on the first level. Use the numpad +/- keys to add more iterations and smooth it out.

If you're trying to PREVENT the roundness, you'll need to add supporting edges. Look into stuff like the Loop Slice tool...
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks warren :)

I think I need to review my modeling work flow as I will be adding huge amounts of polys just to smooth things out. Maybe I should just subd the areas where I want the details first. I love the loop slice tool, no probs with straight edges so far.

cheers :thumbup: