Home Technical Talk

Limit the draw area of a polygon in OpenGL based off of UV?

OddlyOrdinary
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
OddlyOrdinary polycounter lvl 9
Hey Guys,
I'm working on problem and wanted to see if anyone had a suggestion. I'm trying to prevent OpenGL from rendering outside the 0-1 uv space. My mesh is larger and currently requires me to clamp the edges to not have the extra parts of the mesh redrawn with a texture mirror. Or I have to redraw the outter bounds with black.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to limit the range rendered? There's nothing behind my mesh so I don't have to worry about depth or transparency, I'm just trying to increase performance.

Replies

• OddlyOrdinary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OddlyOrdinary polycounter lvl 9
    This was probably too specific of an idea but in case someone finds themselves in this situation or finds this thread from a search I thought I'd post how I fixed the issue.

What I ended up doing was generating an additional UV set at runtime, I'd look at the meshes and generate a list of polygons that were over the boundaries. So if a polygon had some vertices outside the boundary and some inside I would add it to a list.

Then I would find the closest two UV values for that polygon and build a scalar to warp the other points by.
    Say we originally have a triangle with three UV values
    [-.5, -.2, .3] I'd chose the -2, and .3

In the second UV set the .3 would be 1.0 and the -.2 would be -.66. The -.5 would be -1.66. The scalar being .33=(1/(.3 * 10)).

Then in the shader I clamped the textcoord.x values of the second uv set to 0 or 1, this generates an immediate cutoff at the boundary, without being a harsh curve and also takes into account the different sizes of each polygon.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    You can also clamp textures to live only within 0-1 by changing the texture's sampler state:
    glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_CLAMP_TO_BORDER)
    and you specify the border color, as "black")

edit: actually as you are using shaders, why not just "not" sample the texture when uvs are outside of 0,1, though probably didn't fully understand what you were after