Home General Discussion

Am I really good enough for the Games Industry?

jimmyjaba
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
jimmyjaba polycounter lvl 5
Hello all. Let me first state that this post isn't a plea for compliments, it's simply a query.

I have been building my portfolio for the past three years, and have been involved in some small projects, as well as gaining a years experience in a small indie studio. Since leaving the small indie studio I have been desperately searching for work, with little or no response from job applications. Times are hard financially for me what with a mortgage and wedding to plan for. My question is is my work good enough for the Games Industry or should I give up trying and start a new career in something else? I never took a course concentrating on game art (I am completely self taught) and with the talent of the people leaving university about 3 years younger than me I feel that my portfolio will always be over shadowed by younger more talented people. My fiance doesn't want me to stop trying, but bills are bills. I could really do with some guidence with this. Thanks in advance

My portfolio: Link

Replies

• d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Yes you are.

Worst comes to worst you just get a temp job and continue trying. Also consider freelancing - i's good experience and could be good money.

In this industry not getting hired for months unfortunately could have nothing to with you. :(

Oh and that mortgage sounds scary. Because in order to get good jobs moving is usually necessary. Something to keep in mind.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Here's the thing with getting any creative job. This is just my experience with it.

There is an average skill level floor, where you have a ton of people at this skill level, and everybody at this level has trouble getting jobs.
    The thing is though as soon as you bust your head through this skill floor, suddenly you have your head above the canopy and everyone takes notice.

You are almost there man, but the stuff in your portfolio isn't mindblowing, despite you having the technical skill to do mindblowing stuff.

Look at your work and be super harsh on yourself and go out and make some kick ass work. It seems futile but you are 90% of the way there.
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    You're riot squad member tells me you are ready but I'm a junior, what do I know? :P

The hard bit is finding the jobs and remembering that you're not being ignored because you're not good, it's because there are 10 who applied who are better and the only way you'll improve is too work harder.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Keep on making money and then working on your portfolio in the free time, I did the same myself for 3 years before landing a job, it's hard but that's why you have kept at it for 3 years and will keep going until one get's a job.

That was one of my main motivations that it would be fucking stupid giving up after so many years, cause it would mean time wasted.

Also as others have said, it's mainly a matter of time, your work is good enough but the layout I am not a fan of.

Here is one layout I would like better, because when first going on your portfolio I thought you only had 1 piece there, I did not spot the others before I was about th close the site :P
    BKB3LPP.jpg
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Don't give up just because your still novice, the problem with your portfolio is it doesn't really show off what you know.
    Try doing a realistic person, face reference, visible anatomy, different material types (leather, denim etc)
    Stylized fantasy stuff is fun but you still need to show you know how to do regular work.

Also modular environment sets are easier to reach industry standard with.

keep it up, determination is often the only difference between amateur & professional.
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
    Hard work always pays off! I do think if you keep going, and bust your ass, (this means sitting in front of your computer and producing quality art work for, sometimes, extraordinary amounts of time.) you can get a gig in the industry. Having said that, look at your competition, who has jobs, where, and where do you want to go in your career. I did a search for character artist, found http://cghub.com/images/view/395904/ now I doubt Kolby Jukes, with that kind of portfolio, has a hard time finding work. So the goal would be to start hitting that quality bar, so you too can find work whenever you want. Good luck!
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    yeah I'd say your on the right track. Like Muzz said, there is this level where your good enough, but so are a ton of other people. You have to really push hard to break past that level and get noticed. I think you are right on the cusps of pushing through. Your scarecrow was finished back in Mid December, That's plenty of time to have something else in the works. :D
  • 3DKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKnight polycounter lvl 17
    Character Art is VERY hard to break into. You are competing with people with perfect anatomy knowledge and honed sculpting skills.

In that department, your portfolio really has to be jaw dropping. You site is good, but not amazing. Scarecrow has a lot of aesthetic issues. And I agree it's doesn't show off your true ability.

I would recommend to try and move towards the Prop/Environment field. Always high demand for good/fast prop artists. My honest opinion is that if you want an easier time, move away from characters and focus on making killer objects (lots of showcase examples). That, or spend much more time studying how to make engaging characters and layering of clothing, accessories.

Example: here is an amazing entry level char artist i worked with, his stuff blows people away. He moved up quickly.

http://www.marcoplouffe.com/
  • ironbelly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbelly polycounter lvl 9
    You're work looks great and I'd love to discuss hiring you on for some of our upcoming work.. I'm always looking to keep my rolodex filled with talented folks with your skill who are looking to break into the industry as I find those people bring a lot more passion to the table.

Fire me off an email to talent _at_ ironbellystudios.com and include a link to yuor linkedin profile as well. We've got some major character work in the pipe so the next couple of months could be busy. If you know how to use Substance Designer and have UE3/UE4/UDk experience that would be a big plus.

Thanks!
  • jimmyjaba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feed back and words of encouragement guys. I'll keep going and hopefully my next few characters will show some clear signs of improvement and get me noticed. I'll also start with some props..some simple stuff at first and then see what happens. I really enjoy making characters but I'll give the props a go. Thanks again, you've all put things in perspective so thank you.

@Ironbelly I dropped you an email earlier looking forward to hearing from you.
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    ironbelly wrote: »
    You're work looks great and I'd love to discuss hiring you on for some of our upcoming work.. I'm always looking to keep my rolodex filled with talented folks with your skill who are looking to break into the industry as I find those people bring a lot more passion to the table.

Fire me off an email to talent _at_ ironbellystudios.com and include a link to yuor linkedin profile as well. We've got some major character work in the pipe so the next couple of months could be busy. If you know how to use Substance Designer and have UE3/UE4/UDk experience that would be a big plus.

Thanks!

You are my hero :D
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    3DKnight wrote: »
    Character Art is VERY hard to break into. You are competing with people with perfect anatomy knowledge and honed sculpting skills.

In that department, your portfolio really has to be jaw dropping. You site is good, but not amazing. Scarecrow has a lot of aesthetic issues. And I agree it's doesn't show off your true ability.

I would recommend to try and move towards the Prop/Environment field. Always high demand for good/fast prop artists. My honest opinion is that if you want an easier time, move away from characters and focus on making killer objects (lots of showcase examples). That, or spend much more time studying how to make engaging characters and layering of clothing, accessories.

Example: here is an amazing entry level char artist i worked with, his stuff blows people away. He moved up quickly.

http://www.marcoplouffe.com/

At the same time, doing something you have no passion for just because its easier kinda ruins the whole point of even doing a career in gaming. I followed this advice for awhile, and all it did was make me burn out faster attempting to make a portfolio for such.

That being said, it has helped the ability to wear multiple hats for working with small indies, which I prefer.

If you want to be a character artist. Be a character artist. It will take longer, but in the end, you will have more fulfillment.
  • penrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penrod polycounter lvl 14
    Does a job in the game industry have to mean a character artist position? I would crank out some simple props that are very well done. Characters are time consuming and you just need to get your foot in the door, then work on character work outside of your job. I have started out doing environment work at a few places, then when a character position opened I would move over. You're limiting your chances too much.
  • 3DKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKnight polycounter lvl 17
    penrod wrote: »
    I have started out doing environment work at a few places, then when a character position opened I would move over. You're limiting your chances too much.

1 million times this! If you goal is to get your foot in the door, go the path of least resistance! Even as a character artist, you need to know how to make kick ass hard surface models for clothing, weapons, accessories, and so on. get that to the top of your game, while keeping up your anatomy studies on the side.

Once you are in, you have easy access to professional artists that can help you immensely in your growth. Plus you will be paid. Also projects usually need less character artists, than they do most other art departments, the competition is tough. Not saying it can't be done, just a longer path.
  • Vault Dweller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perhaps right now your portfolio doesn't really sell because it's lacking in quantity, now, of course quality is more important, and what is there should definitely be your very best stuff. But it just seemed that there was very little there. Perhaps now is the time to lock yourself inside and really put in some hours and get some new, fresh characters up there.
  • jimmyjaba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think tho that as money is becoming an issue i'll start getting some really good props together and change the direction of my portfolio. The idea of getting my foot back in the door is the most important to me atm, and i'll then be able to move back to characters once I get a job.

To make things worse my computer died last night, looks like I need a new HD and maybe even a new Mother Board.... i am now crying on the inside!!!
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    penrod wrote: »
    Does a job in the game industry have to mean a character artist position? I would crank out some simple props that are very well done. Characters are time consuming and you just need to get your foot in the door, then work on character work outside of your job. I have started out doing environment work at a few places, then when a character position opened I would move over. You're limiting your chances too much.

this, and if you work at a smaller company you might get to create some characters aside from other 3d props
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 12
    jimmyjaba wrote: »
    To make things worse my computer died last night, looks like I need a new HD and maybe even a new Mother Board.... i am now crying on the inside!!!

Sorry to hear that man. But, hey, Valentine's Day is coming up :D

And like a few people have said, I think you're just limiting your chances. Being able to do a few different things well should get you something at a studio. I know with environments, a single level is broken up by a few different positions- is there anything like that with characters? Perhaps you're an amazing texture artist for characters, or UV artist, or rigger, etc. Try developing skills with those and start a next-next-gen character :)
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think tho that as money is becoming an issue i'll start getting some really good props together and change the direction of my portfolio. The idea of getting my foot back in the door is the most important to me atm, and i'll then be able to move back to characters once I get a job.

You can sell all of your original work online and make a lot of extra money. Getting a cheque every month for making new portfolio pieces is the way to go.
  • jimmyjaba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats an idea, I never considered that. Are you meaning sites like Turbosquid? I would have no idea how to price them tho. I think a bit of research is in order.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    RyanB wrote: »
    You can sell all of your original work online and make a lot of extra money. Getting a cheque every month for making new portfolio pieces is the way to go.

+1 I've been doing a bit of this lately, practicing different texture workflows for different materials, and selling then on TS.

Theoretically i'm getting paid to mess around.

Sure the money is not going to let you quit your day job, but boy do you get a certain boost of motivation when something sells, and as most people here probably know is rare and worth way more than its weight in gold.
  • duke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duke polycounter lvl 13
    Might I recommend selling them on the Unity asset store? You'll need to learn how to get an asset in, and then create an account and start selling!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I was just curious, howcome you ended up leaving the indie studio without finding another job first, or was it the case that the contract simply ran out? In terms of deciding which route to take, I think oXY hit the nail right on the head - you need to follow your passion because its what is going to give you the drive to excel (speaking from experience.)

If you want to do characters but you're creating a folio for props in order to get any position more easily, I'd say the likelihood is that the props will be fairly mediocre. The characters might not look great at the start but if your goal is to have a job that is character centric, you're more likely to spend more time polishing the final result and getting them looking awesome. Its a longer road but again it really depends which route you want to go (and also the amount of time and dedication you put into it.)

This is a thread I started ages ago about the environment/prop art route being a foot in the door and got some really good responses, check it out if interested:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87508
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is pretty much my exact same story.

I get insecure and I often wonder if I should make an environment to two but so far decide not to. I know I would not be happy doing it and I feel it would show and ultimately bring the quality of the rest of my work down. As you can see from this thread there are alot of mixed opinions on the path to take. You are lucky that your fiance is supportive... but I know first hand that it doesn't help with the guilt.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats an idea, I never considered that. Are you meaning sites like Turbosquid? I would have no idea how to price them tho. I think a bit of research is in order.

Unity Asset Store. You get to keep 70%, Turbosquid you get about 40%.

Take a look at what is in the top ten sellers. This gives you an idea of the market.

But, you can also do well if you see a niche that isn't being filled. Low-poly stuff with "hand-painted" textures is definitely in short supply. Also, quality 2D sprites.

Z-brushing the shit out of a space marine isn't going to make you the most money but you can use it for that jerb portfolio.

Single models don't sell as well as packages of models. If you make characters then most people expect them to be animated.

You have the skills to make some decent money if you apply yourself. Get a new package in the asset store every month!
  • jimmyjaba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Again thanks for the help guys. I'll have a gander at some of the Unity assets and have a think about what I could get together failry easily/quickly thats to a high quality. Right now I've decided to continue with the SD art test which I started a week ago (Before my computer died) I'll get him finished and then have a think about which direction I should head in. I've started a WIP thread for the art test

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116355

Check it out and let me know what you think. I was reading in a past thread ages ago that artists at my level seem to be ignored quite abit on forums as theres not much to crit on. But honestly any crits you could give so I can reach my potential would be great!