Home General Discussion

Mind control gaming

Hey all :D

Starting and uni project and a Group of us are designing a game for the Xbox that would only be controlled through the use of the Emotiv EPOC Headset, so you would only be able to play the game with your mind, expressions and emotions.

The headset is pretty cool it analyses your brainwaves when you think of a particular task, like push, pull etc. and it applies To a function within a game. It can also be able to read emotions like boredom or frustration. Facial expressions can be analysed too, by reading winking, smiling, eye crossing etc. all of these effect the game without you using a controller.

Our game idea will be a simplistic stylised design, kind of like portal/ mirrors edge. The aim of the game is to move a ball through a small obstacle course by the user using only their mind. To help them concentrate on the task of moving the ball there will be a low amount of a GUI and the colours of other objects in the game would not stand out as much as the ball. To move the ball you would neet to focus on thinking of commands such as forwards, backwards, left and right. Obstacles like ramps, tunnels and balance beams will challenge players to concentrate on much momentum is on the ball for example if the ball comes to a ramp would your mindset change thinking it will be harder to head up the ramp? Or do you need to think differently while going down a ramp to slow down?

At the moment this is the idea we have and I just wanted to see what you guys though of the idea, because the majority of you are our target audience for this project. Plus if you want to talk about what you would like to do with the headset in game then by all means give it a comment.

Sorry about the big post :D

Mr inzaino

Replies

• SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    i want to make heads explode with my mind =(
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    This kind of tech is going to become very popular in the near future if VR with the Oculus Rift takes off. The biggest problem with it right now that I've seen is the reaction times are horrible, and it has to evolve quite a bit before it'll be ready to replace traditional input methods.

Still, sounds like a neat project. Wish you luck :)
  • loki1991
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that sounds cool and all but how far are they? and will it even be safe?
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    loki1991 wrote: »
    that sounds cool and all but how far are they? and will it even be safe?

It's quite safe. All it does is process electrical impulses it picks up that are emitted by the brain, it doesn't send impulses back or anything like that (their is some tech like that out their but its even less mature and is designed for people that are at least partially paralyzed).

There's even a few kids toys that claim to do it now (though MindFlex is a fake working on a placebo effect from what I gather).
  • loki1991
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's quite safe. All it does is process electrical impulses it picks up that are emitted by the brain, it doesn't send impulses back or anything like that (their is some tech like that out their but its even less mature and is designed for people that are at least partially paralyzed).

There's even a few kids toys that claim to do it now (though MindFlex is a fake working on a placebo effect from what I gather).

ok well im just a bit concerned how they would read the brain waves as well? will the electronic brainwaves really be clear enough to properly controlling a character in a game just by wearing a helmet? i understand it will be difficult to do at first. hell i think it took my sisters a year to get use to a controller so they could play without looking at it every 5 seconds. however they were about 10 at the time and i was 8.