Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cyberpunk Character Creation

Cyberpunk Character Creation

So I'm not very new to Polycount in the fact that Ive been lurking around for quite some time, on the other hand I have yet to post. So I figured Id start with this concepting assignment I've been working on the last few days or so. As of right now I have a few silhouettes to rough out a general idea of what the character could look like. I didn't have anything specific in mind so I made a fairly large spectrum of characterization in the cyberpunk theme. Choosing three of the best concepts, making a beauty shot of the final choice and making low(mobile game asset) and high poly models are all parts of the assignment. Any ideas on which concepts to choose or any criticism would be greatly appreciated. My choices as of right now are, Image 1 [Row 2, Number 7], Image 2 [Row 1, Number 8], Image 2 [Row 2, Number 2.]

Silhouettes

Image 01:
SilhPage01.jpgSilhPage01.jpg
Image02:
SilhPage02.jpg
SilhPage02.jpg

Replies

• Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Nice start but be sure not to confuse cyberpunk with regular sci-fi;
    Akira, Bladerunner, The Matrix, Ghost in the shell, these are cyberpunk...
    Mass Effect is just sci-fi.

Gud luck :)
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    i think they all could make nice models, it would be easier to pick favourites if you had at least a general idea of what kind of character you're going for.
  • brwnbread
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brwnbread polycounter lvl 13
    I like, Image 1 [Row 1, Number 1], Image 1 [Row 1, Number 7], the mask on Image 1 [Row 2, Number 7], Image 2 [Row 2, Number 2.] and I really enjoy the different gestures lol
  • Guidance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So this is a late update but an update nonetheless.

Beauty Shot WIP:
    BeautyShotSakura.jpg

Still a lot of adjustments and work to do. Her hands are placeholders since I'm not sure of good gun designs at the moment. I will also be adding holsters once I have some solid designs. I feel like the composition and the focus of the eye is lost in the details of the background so I might have to do some serious changes.

Action Poses:
    ActionPosesSakura.jpg

Just some general action poses to get her character down.

Top Three Character Silhouettes:
    SelectionShots.jpg

These were the three concepts I chose with slightly different treatments. I definitely need to work on more elaborate and meaningful designs :/.

I finished a base mesh for sculpting this past weekend so expect to see some WIP shots for the sculpt within the next week or two. With GDC coming up I have to really kick things in gear.

Again, any critiques or helpful comments are always extremely appreciated!
  • Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    Cyberpunk means a good portion of Disorder.
    When your character has 2 weapons make them different like a pistol and a melee weapon or pocket grenade launcher. Dont mirror the equipment because its stupid and not useful. Mirroring the equipments means organisation not anarchy or the missing of supply. Organisation is for armys and not illegal shadowrunners.
  • Guidance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo wrote: »
    Cyberpunk means a good portion of Disorder.
    When your character has 2 weapons make them different like a pistol and a melee weapon or pocket grenade launcher. Dont mirror the equipment because its stupid and not useful. Mirroring the equipments means organisation not anarchy or the missing of supply. Organisation is for armys and not illegal shadowrunners.

Good point, Ill definitely put that into consideration. I feel like the design in general could use more meaningful design elements like that. As of right now I don't feel like her design conveys enough story, there is some there but it could use a few extra additions or changes. Thanks for the idea!