Home Technical Talk

Zbrush Texture > CropandFill Issue

I am having some curious issues with the Texture:CropAndfill. I was using it fine yesterday and now I am getting different results. I feel like a newb!

- I am grabbing the canvas with Texture:GrabDoc. You can see in the second image that the preview looks correct.
- I change the material to the Flat Color and then Press CropAndFill using the texture I just made with the GrabDoc.
- The image is now red?!?! Where is that red coming from?! You'll notice that I have the flat material and white selected.

I can't figure it out. I checked all the usual suspects. Lights, Materials, Color. If I use the Flat Color material and use one of the stock ZB textures it looks fine. Just like the preview. Any thoughts?

grabdoc.jpg

Replies

• JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    What material were you using initially? I'm seeing the Cd button (next to CropandFill button))is unpressed. In this case, Zbrush will do a kind of weird multiplication of the texture over your canvas (and this seems material dependent). If you press Cd, this won't happen (at least is working here to me).
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your thoughts. I was thinking that too (which is why it was unpressed in the image) but it still does that weird overlay for me with it pressed.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Even if you clean the canvas manually (ctrl+n)? And what about the flat render, is it red too? If flat render is ok, then you can apply flat material manually.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I cleared the canvas after I used GrabDoc. I tried in Edit Mode and not in Edit Mode.

That is the strange thing. If I use the flat material and then GrabDoc... the CropAndFill comes out fine. Like it's pure white. With no color "overlay." But if I GrabDoc with any other material and then CropAndFill it has that red hue.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So some projects do this and some don't. I loaded up the "Default Cube" project from Lightbox and it works fine. I open one of the mannequin projects and it has this red hue. STRANGEST thing....

I thought my startup doc might be borked so I saved over it with the Default Cube one that worked correctly. Restarted ZBrush and it still has the same red hue!
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For anyone that may be searching for this in the future... Marcus on the ZB forums found the problem.

"For some reason turning off Wax Preview in the Render Properties will mean that the next GrabDoc operation embeds the Red Wax material, turning the image red."

He is going to look into it further. Seems like a bug.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, Zbrush has a lot of this bugs. Specially regarding to 2.5D tools and operations. I know this very well, because I used Zbrush a lot as a 2.5D illustration tool until version 3.1. From 3.5 and above, they messed up 2.5 brushes, and a lot of things that worked properly no longer works. Even on sculpting, Zbrush has a weird behavior, sometimes programmers implement a new feature and this cause malfunction in things that used to work properly. I wonder that Zbrush source code is a big mess.

Anyway, glad to see you had an answer, even if it dont solve the problem. Marcus always was a very atencious and helpful guy.