Home Technical Talk

How to connect head rig to body rig?

frankshi
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
frankshi polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys, I'm a student at Otis College of Art and Design. Im currently rigging a character for my thesis. I followed the digital tutors tutorial to rig a head and the production character rig tutorial but i can't seem to connect the two. The head tut told me to wrap deform the head on the rigged body mesh but when i do that, the mesh deforms really weirdly. I would move my chest control and my full body mesh would move but my head rig stays, and if i move my jaw control and any sorts of head control, it deforms from the head rig and doesnt follow the body rig and it gets all weird.

Has anyone seen the two tutorials and figured out a way to do that? OR Any other suggestions to put the head rig and body rig together?

Thank you for the help!

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Some information you could provide:

Software that you are using.
    Link to tutorial.
    Screenshot of the problem.
    Many people use "rig" as a general term. Do you mean skinning a mesh to bones. Or creating an armature to drive bones?
  • frankshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frankshi polycounter lvl 10
    Ya sorry my bad. Hahah

So im using Maya 2013, all the Controls, joints have been skinned.

http://www.digitaltutors.com/11/training.php?pid=533&autoplay=1

that is the tutorial for the head rig ^^

http://www.digitaltutors.com/11/training.php?pid=321&autoplay=1

That is the body rig tutorials^^

So what i did is kinda rig the head and then the body now im trying to combine it, when i parent the neck bone to the chest bone and create a dynamic relationship where the neck can follow the chest rotation instead of the world, there is a double transform happening. I have SS of the rig when its not being moved with the global control and after it is.

u55FoFA.jpg

This is before i move the global control ^^

Kbj6Xw5.jpg

This is after ^^

Sorry about not having enough info. THANKS ALOT MAN! If you have an idea of what the problem is I can send you the file and maybe u can help me out? I really can't figure it out and i need to figure it out for my thesis. :/
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rig problems are really hard to troubleshoot in a forum. one thing you could try which could be a simple fix is attach your head rig to the body with point and orient constraints with maintain offsets. instead of parenting.