Home General Discussion

Graphic Design sub-forum?

Hi,

I wanted to know if Polycount is still going to create a Graphic Design Sub-forum. I checked the sites wiki about a month ago and looked at the "User Interface" Section, it said we will soon have a Graphic Design sub-forum. I'm a Graphic Design student and I would love to have a section dedicated to Graphic Designing.

Replies

• imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
  • the_Adri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumping this up in hopes of getting an update.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I think just posting your work in WAYWO and maybe a sticky in Technical Talk would suffice no? Start a thread there anyway and maybe if it takes off it'll get stickied. :) Love seeing UI stuff here, it's not really that common unfortunately.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In general sub-forums tend to be frowned upon here, for a few reasons:

1) They fracture the community and often hide posts that might get more attention. It's easy for the traffic in those sub-forums to drop off and look dead.

2) Proper naming of thread titles often replaces the need for sub-forums.

For example we don't have 3dsmax and Maya in separate sub forums, but instead people include those programs in their thread titles.
    So "offset stacked UV shells?" Becomes "3dsmax offset stacked UV shells" and gets rid of the need for a sub-forum. So we don't need, modeling > Max > UV Editor > Dealing with shells sub forums we just need smarter thread titles.

What happens is people who might use another app but have encounter similar problems can share similar solutions often chime in and get the conversation rolling, most of the time the solutions are the same but the buttons are named different... With less technical things it helps drive creative group discussions while giving the poster the best chance of everyone seeing it. The best answer can come from anywhere and not always from someone who specifically marinates in that one specific thing.

When it comes to art what you end up finding is that there is a lot of overlap. Someone who has trouble working out a UI might get help from some guy that designs futuristic billboards, or a character artist makes a suggestion about the composition that clears up the bottle neck. Often its best to get a wide range of answers from a large pool of people and work out the best solution instead of getting the one way that some guy did it in 2002.

A lot of students are overwhelmed when they first hit some message boards and want to carve out a space for themselves, that happens when they get hired too, but they find out that working in a team environment doesn't mean huddling with just a few people and trying hard to ignore everyone else, that's how bad projects get made... ;)
  • the_Adri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't think of it that way. I thought it was frowned upon posting up photo-manipulations, etc.... in the showcase section. I thought that section was for only 3d art.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    actually the showcase section is only for the best of the best and is handpicked by the Polycount staff - don't post there! Basically great threads get moved into the showcase.