Home Technical Talk

3dsmax biped animation issue, need help

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
riklopes polycounter lvl 12
Hi guys,

I came across this problem when i tried importing some animations into the mixer mode in 3dsmax.
What happens is, the biped gets its position and rotation offset from its origin when i import two of the clips i have.
Everything works fine with most of the animations but these two.
I have placed a video on youtube to show you exactly what i am talking about, please take 2 min of your time to watch this.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGAkRWglOJM"]3dsmax biped mixer mode issues - YouTube[/ame]

Notice that all the previous animations are working fine, but when i import IdleR and IdleL, they get rotated.

I would be much apreciated if someone can give me some advice on how to get this working.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are a few things you could do.

First off, did you use IK keys (planted keys) on the feet at one point? Maybe when making the idle poses? If you re-export those animations as "Key Per Frame" it should bake the IK and get rid of the problem. If that doesn't work you can do a few other things.

1) Go back to the "good copy" of the idle animations in the right poses, copy the poses using the copy/paste pose library. Save that Copy/Paste Pose Library and load that into your mixing scene. Mixdown the good animations, apply that to the biped and the then paste those idle poses.

2) After mixing down the animations (inlcuding the borked idle animations as is), use the "layers" system in biped to create a new layer and repostion the pieces how you need. On the new layer before you move anything, you will want to set keys for all of the biped pieces on the last frame of the "good animations", then move to the first frame of the bad and make your adjustments. Collapse the layers and away you go.

3) Load the borked animations onto a biped and use the "move all" command in the biped menu (under the mixer mode toggle, little circle with a turning arrow). Then rotate and move the animations into the right place and collapse the changes. Export and reload the tracks into motion mixer.

4) Use two trackgroups and filter out the Position and rotation of the COM on the idle.
    Select the trackgroup label (biped next to the +) and then go Trackgroups > Add Trackgroup above and load your working animations (minus the bad idle anims).
    On the lower trackgroup right click ALL and choose filter turn off all but the COM, then load your idle animations into this lower trackgroup. The COM from the upper trackgroup will override the lower.
    Mix down and apply to biped.