Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

FPS Bernzomatic Torch WIP

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Assassin0323 polycounter lvl 7
Here is an FSP style game prop I am working on. The texture will be reduced when all is said and done to a 1024 square. Still have a lot of work to go on the texture side. C&C is welcome as always, tear it apart :).

torchwiprender.jpg

Replies

• Assassin0323
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent a little more time on the texture today here is how it looks currently, still have some work to go. I want to clean up the grunge in areas and add some more damage in areas as well. As always please feel free to critique and comment.

torchrenderaftercritiqu.jpg

torchrenderaftercritiqu.jpg
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks great!

2048 is huge for a single prop. I bet you want the text to be fully readable. But really a game prop is about reability from a distance, not up-close careful examination.

Maybe it would be OK if it was a handheld FPS weapon that was going to be seen upclose constantly. Even then that's still a huge texture size. I think the design might not really work for a 1st person weapon anyhow, because the business end would be mostly hidden by the tank.

The tank could use a few more sides, kind of clunky compared to the dial & nozzle.

Would love to see some dents and scratches on the bottom, and around the upper tank rim.

Overall looking great though, good job!
  • Assassin0323
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric: Thanks for the comment and critique. Yah I plan to reduce the texture when all is said and done to a 1024 square(for FSP) and a 512 square for environment prop, I just like to work at a higher resolution then reduce it down when its done. I can understand what you mean, it was intended to be used as a utility style tool in a FPS style game. Use for example cut a hole in a chain link fence or weld something. Your right about the tank needing some more sides, I will throw some more edges on it. With regards to the scratches and dents I add some in those areas.

Thanks again!

Alex
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    blue paint would benefit greatly from higher gloss and a cubemap.

ts3000kc_lg1.jpg

for the brass parts, i'd also push the saturation more on the spec. you might also consider toying with making certain sections of it silver so the shapes stand out more.
  • Assassin0323
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445: Thanks for taking the time to comment and critique. I will definitely up the glossiness on the painted metal in my gloss map. I started out with it pretty much white, but as I started dirtying it up I toned it down guess I went to far lol. I will up the saturation on the brass as well and make the mid-stem section a brushed aluminum or steel material silver color. I will definitely play around with the cubemap as well.

Thank again for taking the time to C&C, its very much appreciated!

Alex
  • Orangeknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
    Um, your blowtorch needs a trigger like in this picture. I also agree with the other peoples comments on the texture size.
    rb100.jpg
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 13
    Um, your blowtorch needs a trigger like in this picture. I also agree with the other peoples comments on the texture size.

A lot of blowtorches don't have triggers, they just have a dial to open/close the release of propane :)
  • Assassin0323
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrangeKnight: Yah I plan to reduce the texture when all is said and done to a 1024 square(for FSP) and a 512 square for environment prop, I just like to work at a higher resolution then reduce it down when its done. The one I have is just a twist dial for the on and off. There are many different versions. Sorry for not clarifying up front here is one of my references, not following this one exactly cause mine has a little bit different style nozzle tip.

Jordan.Kocon: :)

070042194654.jpg