Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Graduate Job Help

fitzy2541
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
fitzy2541 polycounter lvl 4
Hi,
I'm going into my final semester and have been trying to get my portfolio site up with work but wanted to find out from people who work in the industry how i match up as a graduate that will be searching for jobs. If any advice can be given on the work i have produced so far that would be greatly appreciated i am always doing more and more work and trying to fill as many gaps in my abilities without flumping uni of course.
there aren't any videos up yet as i haven't had the time to put a show reel together with university work.
thanks in advance.
finalrender1.jpg
fullcharacter.jpg
And i am currently working on a ww2 church building so textures haven't been added yet but there is a 30,000 tri limit with the church.
new3qs.jpg

Thanks and Greatly appreciate any help, advice and criticism

Replies

• Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    http://www.free3dtutorials.com/mazda-furai.php
    Rendering environment needs work on the car. Look into automotive rendering.
    Character needs 3 point lighting and posing to be truly effective. Forget the base unless you go to town on it. Orthographic images won't sell your work as well as you may hope. Go back to the texturing, hell, get DDO on the case. We need wear, grunge, damage, a better colour palette, nicer presentation and higher res images. Look at portfolios of artists you respect and admire.
    The church is not finished!

You need to finish your works before you stand a chance at a job. Good luck, keep on working!
  • Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't expect to land a job in a triple A studio the second you leave Uni. Jobs are hard to come by more than ever.

If you're a 3d artist, stick to environments/props, there are about 3-4 times as many jobs in that area as there as there in characters.

You'll be up against over 100 people per position.
    Your stuff isn't too bad for 2nd year but you're going to have to sit on your arse working 24/7 for a solid year to beat others to the jobs once u leave.

/glass half empty.
  • toxic_h2o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    To add on what Ravanna has mentioned, make sure you pick a particular path as in environment art, characters, props, weapons, etc. You can even take that a step further and focus on fantasy or scifi. There are plenty of triple A studios that focus in one of these categories.

As a student myself I have decided to really pursue environment art, specifically fantasy. I'm really trying to cater my portfolio to companies that make that specific artwork. This way instead of competing with everyone for a job I only need to compete with others that make that specific type of work.

This doesn't mean you only have to make that type of artwork but a hiring manager should get an idea of where your strengths lie and what type of work you enjoy making the most.

However this is really only the case with the larger companies. Smaller indie devs will want talent with a wide range of skills since there will be less artists working on the projects.

So essentially figure out what you like doing the most and then do as much of it as you can.

Also as a student who has looked at a lot of other student work I would say your work is pretty average for a student coming out of school. You will need to have a more narrowed focus and a lot more completed work I would guess if you expect to get a job at a AAA place when you graduate. I have been working pretty much nonstop on stuff for almost two years now and even I am worried about finding a job when I graduate.

Hope it helps.
  • carlobarley
  • fitzy2541
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fitzy2541 polycounter lvl 4
    Hey thanks for all the advice yea im not really aiming to get triple a games companies because i know it is a fair bit away from me atm. I would prefer either characters or car modelling but as ravanna said there's more environment and prop jobs around then character. so i need to get used to doing that as well, there would be more work for the portfolio from uni and free time, but i only started using zbrush and max properly last year because my course also has programming and i tried that for first year.

the church isnt finished i just wanted to see if people could see it been a useful or non useful piece for an environment so far i know its a bit daft until i texture it but its first environment so im not sure if im even making it correctly

Thanks to eveyone that has replied so far i really do appreciate it and all the advice has been very helpful and the links for good examples is brilliant :)
    i will keep working and hopefully will eventually get my work up to scratch