Home General Discussion

Best Graduate Technique To Enter Industry?

Hi guys,

Just wanted a few opinions on how best a graduate can enter the industry. Im currently starting my final semester of a Games Design (Bsc Hons) course in which I'm predicted a 1st.

The final semester is based around portfolio work, with 2 small modules and a final game project; as this will allow me to have atleast a few characters and environments; that I can hopefully show off..

However, everyone is aware how hard the industry is to break into and have considered applying for roles that although I'm not really interested in, will benefit me in the long run, be more stable and allow me to learn more until I'm atleast in a better position and able to get into my role as an artist..

So my main question is;

Should I apply for QA roles, or even roles within the HR departments? I'd like to be a 3D artist, but should I also apply to roles such as technical artist or game designer? Will this benefit me in the long run until I finally BREAK in or will it just put me in a rut.

Comments appreciated :)

Replies

• Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Internships. Everywhere. Do it.

Excellent CV and reference builder. Do it before you graduate and its all the better for your employers. It will not put you in a rut, it will help you out of the one you start in.
    Started work in summer holidays between 2-3rd year, still working part/full time with uni.

Started as a intern, made my way up to manager role over 6 people in the graphics & dev dep. Was recommended for a 3d role. About to sign up for a jnr 3D role. No regrets.

-stupidly lucky- but the first step (procrastination/self doubt) was a killer and internships adjust you to it.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    if you want to be an artist, and you have a semester left, then I'd focus on entering challenges on here, on other forums, and the like.

Ask your professors/advisers if you can double up class assignments with online contests, using them AS graded material. A smart professor would encourage it as *much* as possible, as these online contests and challenges (or minichallenges) greatly increase your exposure to professional feedback, enforce strict deadlines, involve you in the community, and put you up against your ACTUAL hiring competition, so you have a realistic idea of where you need to be to get hired... Not to mention they're great fun and you can make some good pals (call them "contacts" when you propose this sort of idea to your professor, though). :)
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Internships. Everywhere. Do it.

Excellent CV and reference builder. Do it before you graduate and its all the better for your employers. It will not put you in a rut, it will help you out of the one you start in.
    Started work in summer holidays between 2-3rd year, still working part/full time with uni.

Started as a intern, made my way up to manager role over 6 people in the graphics & dev dep. Was recommended for a 3d role. About to sign up for a jnr 3D role. No regrets.

-stupidly lucky- but the first step (procrastination/self doubt) was a killer and internships adjust you to it.

Ok so, I'm looking for internships; but would you still possibly take roles such as QA, if an internship isn't possible? I don't want to end up graduating and then finding it hard to take the first step in industry, when if I was at QA I could practice at home and earn a wage and gain a better understanding...
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you want to be an artist, and you have a semester left, then I'd focus on entering challenges on here, on other forums, and the like.

Ask your professors/advisers if you can double up class assignments with online contests, using them AS graded material. A smart professor would encourage it as *much* as possible, as these online contests and challenges (or minichallenges) greatly increase your exposure to professional feedback, enforce strict deadlines, involve you in the community, and put you up against your ACTUAL hiring competition, so you have a realistic idea of where you need to be to get hired... Not to mention they're great fun and you can make some good pals (call them "contacts" when you propose this sort of idea to your professor, though). :)

I've actually spoke to my lecturer about this already, hes set up three challenges; characters, environments and animation; each challenge has 2 weeks to complete a project to the concept given.

... Starts tomorrow lol so I'm going to post a thread on the "pimping and previews" section to blog my work each day and ensure I'm on target...

Obviously - your help and criticism would be GREATLY appreciated.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    I'm pretty new to the industry so maybe I'm completely wrong but, anyway. I'd just focus on one of those areas, not all three. Also characters is probably one of the harder areas to get into for several reasons. And animation has a lot of competition, not just from games dudes doing animation, but also all the animators graduating from dedicated animation courses. Ergo; environments all the way!
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Wesley--in general environment art is a bit easier to break into. Depending on the game/company there's often more environment/prop artist slots to fill and less competition for them (than charact/anim slots).

Additionally, on focusing your craft: who would you hire: the person who has focused on one of the three and is reliably good at it, or someone who is, for lack of a better word, forgettable, in all three disciplines--which is usually what you get if you try and be "well rounded" right out of school.

"Breadth over depth" is NOT a good attitude to have if you want someone to pay you to do this for a living. It's helpful later, absolutely, but it's also much easier to branch out and pick up different aspects later too, once you have a dayjob that keeps you improving on your core craft. Focus on ONE of the three disciplines if you can to get yourself in the door.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Market yourself as a professional, not a graduate.
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Wesley--in general environment art is a bit easier to break into. Depending on the game/company there's often more environment/prop artist slots to fill and less competition for them (than charact/anim slots).

Additionally, on focusing your craft: who would you hire: the person who has focused on one of the three and is reliably good at it, or someone who is, for lack of a better word, forgettable, in all three disciplines--which is usually what you get if you try and be "well rounded" right out of school.

"Breadth over depth" is NOT a good attitude to have if you want someone to pay you to do this for a living. It's helpful later, absolutely, but it's also much easier to branch out and pick up different aspects later too, once you have a dayjob that keeps you improving on your core craft. Focus on ONE of the three disciplines if you can to get yourself in the door.

I think people have become confused as to what I'm asking.

I love 3D art, and prefer environment art anyway; so Im doing a few competitions and portfolio work to actually have something to potential employers. However, should I apply for QA or similar roles to ensure I can get my foot in the door either way incase I dont get into an environment role... This way, atleast I have some form of income in a games related role to actually enter the industry :)
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Make awesome art, nuff said... ;P

Seriously tho I found entering online 3d challenges immensely usefull not only in getting your name around and networking with fellow competitors but it also helps you level up.
    I would avoid getting a QA job, it's like saying from the outset you think your not good enough to be an artist, not that I'm looking down on QA, it's a necessary part of Dev but I've seen a lot of artists who just couldn't make it get QA jobs and end up stuck there for years instead of becoming professional artists.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think people have become confused as to what I'm asking.
    However, should I apply for QA or similar roles to ensure I can get my foot in the door either way incase I dont get into an environment role... This way, atleast I have some form of income in a games related role to actually enter the industry :)

You can. I've seen people do that, and sometimes they can change over...but sometimes getting the job in the industry at all can lead to complacency, so you'd have to evaluate your level of drive.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeeJay wrote: »
    In fact, a person in QA or HR who did get a job in the development team would have done so the same way that anyone else would get a job in the dev team - with a kickass portfolio.

QFT. Sure, it gets you closer to the person looking at portfolios...but so does having a good portfolio. :)
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    I can attest that no one will give two shits about your degree. Some people find that super disappointing or whatever while at uni, that it somehow invalidates your degree; but you shouldn't think like that. And this is coming from someone who has a game design degree, first class, and enjoyed it very much. I'd still do it again despite no one really caring about it. :D
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, QA takes a different skill set and is a very demanding job in its own. People do transition from QA to other departments but it can be a very rough road these days. Not to mention QA and core development teams can be kept kind of separate at many companies.

There are enough companies out there that if you're generally good enough to make a career in games a long-term profession, "breaking into the industry" honestly is not very difficult at all. It just depends on what you're willing to do to make it happen; if you have super high standards you may avoid some hellish projects but go unemployed for a long time, but if you are willing to work on low-profile licensed stuff you should be able to start getting real development experience very quickly. And even on humbler projects, having that real development experience is solid gold.

Some people are superstars right out of the gate and can get a job at a high-profile studio almost immediately, but plenty of people work on humbler titles on their way to high-profile development. One of my coworkers on XCOM worked on a Hannah Montana game earlier in his career, and I'd say he's a pretty legitimate game art badass at this point.

So basically, I would say only apply for stuff you actually want to do. Just don't restrict yourself to hoighty-toighty big name studios.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing (in a list of many) that universities REALLY need to do is stop calling their courses 'Game Design', it's awfully confusing.

This is very true.
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    You're still studying a games course and you're an artist, and you're asking if you should apply for QA jobs once you graduate? Aim high! You just spent 3/4 years at university, paying your way or ending up in debt.

You should have one goal and possibly even one company you are focusing your efforts on. Too often arts graduates will already be considering QA a month after finishing university because they haven't found a job yet. The trick is to just keep trying and eventually hard work will pay off.

Fear is a valuable motivator. There are something like 100 games related courses in the UK now D: If you imagine how many students are on those courses and think up a rough total. Then look at how many companies are hiring then take into consideration how many studios have made cuts or closures. Once you have that in your head, then have a think about how many studios are even hiring. If all of that isn't enough to motivate you to go beyond what is expected then yeah, you will find it tough :)

It's worth it though! Making games is great fun, just don't settle for less. If you find yourself in a rut and unemployed then just keep working on your portfolio if you can. If you have access to a computer then there's no excuse.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi David - I guess now is a good time to post that portfolio link!
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Hi David - I guess now is a good time to post that portfolio link!

Haha,

Or get more pieces of content ready :P

I have several contests lined up. Should be a BUSY semester :)
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    //misread some parts..
    Lazerus Reborn nailed it !
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    I wouldn't worry him with those statistics, ImyJ, 99% of people at Uni still think that piece of paper is their ticket to a job, so he won't have much competition from graduates.

It's the outsiders he's gotta worry about. The home learners, and the Polycounters who are there waving their quality portfolio around.

Totally agree! :) People who go the extra mile find themselves on places like polycount. It's really depressing to see how many people are unemployed after graduating :thumbdown:
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    good portfolio.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Never try to get a position across a completely different discipline. It would not be smart to get in to programming if you wanted to be an artist. It's just as vastly different between design, art, and QA.

It can cause you more harm than good by going into QA... because before you know it, you have a few years as QA and your art may have suffered due to full-time work. Then you will just start applying to QA jobs over and over because it's easy to get as a job since you have the resume to back it.

Stick to your guns and work hard for it.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    I wouldn't worry him with those statistics, ImyJ, 99% of people at Uni still think that piece of paper is their ticket to a job, so he won't have much competition from graduates.

It's the outsiders he's gotta worry about. The home learners, and the Polycounters who are there waving their quality portfolio around.

Can anyone tell I have zero respect for the British education system? I'd argue most students could learn more from this thread alone than they would in 3 years of undergrad education.

I agree with this to an extent! There are a couple of unis here that seem to be awesome! Have you seen what's been coming out of the uni at Hertfordshire?
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Read some of these before you ever consider a QA job: http://trenchescomic.com/tales
  • aminos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan wrote: »
    I agree with this to an extent! There are a couple of unis here that seem to be awesome! Have you seen what's been coming out of the uni at Hertfordshire?
    1)University degree means nothing in the industry
    2) Some talented and experienced foreign artists come to Universities here to just take a year off to do their portfolio and get a foot in the UK game industry. Their talents doesn't really reflects how good the training they get from the uni, I have known a few cases that these artists are way better than their lecturers before they joined their course

Overall, I agree with other people. Brush up your skills, get a killing portfolio. If you want to do environment, just apply for environment. Years ago, many QA do step up the ladder and transfer to other roles. It's not the case any more. To be frank, if you are looking for a UK role, it's gloomy. I know lots of talented and experienced artists out there, looking for jobs. So if you want to break in, you have to be better than them. There are more than 600 game graduates (none programming) every year, art wise, I would say the whole industry takes in less than 30 graduates per year.

Your work needs to be as good as any famous names our there to be even considered, if you are a graduate. My tip is while applying to established studios ( do consider many social/mobile game developer), get invovled in indie development.

Also, if you want to ask which artist role is easiest to get in: UI artist.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    SaferDan wrote: »

Well you don't expect them to show the shit work do you?
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah sorry I didn't mean to take anything away from the students. After graduating from the uni the other day I know what it's like to work your arse off at uni.

Skillmister - Ahahaha thats true enough :P
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    i think you should use the Special Technique

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1ILBqN8FXM"]The GZA - 08 Shadowboxin - Liquid Swords - YouTube[/ame]
  • Foe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foe polycounter lvl 5
    From what I learned these many years, a school is as good as the teachers that are in it, and having good people from the industry to teach is difficult for the chair of that particular department in that uni.

When you graduate, portfolio is very important, but portfolio is not the only thing people want in industries such as this. It would also be your personality and sociability, it is this factor that determines hiring you or the other person of equal skill level (most likely your classmates at that time of graduation)

The best advice that all industry artists have experienced post-graduation is keep working and refining your portfolio after you end school, because school tends to take away your focus and tends to develop a rushed portfolio piece, and APPLY EVERYWHERE and get your work out there on major industry hubs and connect with people so you may know them as a friend and not a job search engine.
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    My only regret after graduating from uni is that I didn't build my portfolio up to a level whereby I could run face-first into the games industry.

Also, doing things that go against your intuition can sometimes pay off... the final project I chose to do at uni involved doing 3d art for Navy simulations, which I began to feel contemptuous over because it didn't have my full passion and it ran against the kind of skills I needed to build - HOWEVER, the fact I did it is undoubtedly what got me my current job in simulations, which I'm hoping will lead me into the game industry in due time :)