Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fantasy Island [WIP]

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Lord Waffles polycounter lvl 10
Currently working on a fantasy scene, and when I say fantasy I mean really out there with complete disregard to if it's actually possible.

I haven't been modeling for very long so i'm not that great which is why i'm here, for feedback!
The scene i'm going for is like a small island which has been infested by a large tree which ends up being this humanoid fisherman's house (so original I know). I have this walrus guy that I started to sculpt which i'll probably post anyway, but seeing as i've never sculpted a character before and I have yet to find the time to read this anatomy book...he really isn't the special, which is where you guys might be able to tell me whats missing.
THE TLDR SECTION: I'm new to modeling and decided to make a fantasy island scene using no main reference for inspiration and I would like your feedback.

Lastest Update:
So I just finished the "island" and it turned out like garbage lol.

I really don't know how to go about doing this one, but i'll have to try again. The cliff sculpt came out pretty decent.

Cliffs.png

however the low poly cliffs were okay after the bake, however I rushed the grass since I didn't know really how to go about sculpting/modeling grass or the top of a cliff. Here is the terrible low poly.

Lowpoly.PNG

I guess the next plan is to re-sculpt the cliffs and try to make grass overhang? Not sure how i'll be able to do that, I guess I might look into the possibility of Zbrush fibers. Any other tips, tricks, or suggestions are much welcome!

Replies

• Lord Waffles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just finished a pretty quick sculpt on a fantasy lamp post. I pretty much took a street lamp and made it into a fantasy medieval lamp post, because fantasy is usually more fun to look at.

Fantasy_Light_Pole.jpg
  • Lord Waffles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just did finished putting a polypaint on it, again i'm pretty new at modeling and even more so at Zbrush. I think it looks decent enough, off to do the low poly now or start working on the island and house.

Fantasy_Lamp_Polypaint.jpg
  • ASGUARDVIKING
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey dude

I think it looks good, keep it up.
  • Lord Waffles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I just finished the "island" and it turned out like garbage lol.

I really don't know how to go about doing this one, but i'll have to try again. The cliff sculpt came out pretty decent.

Cliffs.png

however the low poly cliffs were okay after the bake, however I rushed the grass since I didn't know really how to go about sculpting/modeling grass or the top of a cliff. Here is the terrible low poly.

Lowpoly.PNG

I guess the next plan is to re-sculpt the cliffs and try to make grass overhang? Not sure how i'll be able to do that, I guess I might look into the possibility of Zbrush fibers. Any other tips, tricks, or suggestions are much welcome!
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I think your low-poly cliff is just too low poly. Include more definition with the silhouette of the cliff like in your high-poly and then you could break it up a little with some smaller rock meshes. The high-poly could also use some Trim Dynamic and whatnot, as it's looking a little soft and like putty. :) Check out some of the rock sculpting tutorials(I know there's a few around here...). The same techniques should apply

Do you have a concept you're following? If we're gonna see the top of the cliff in the final scene, I'd definitely work with that top part, where it meets the cliffside.

Keep it up though. I'm liking that tree :)