Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand Painted Texturing

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Ladvox polycounter lvl 4
Hello!

I've recently picked up texturing and concept art after receiving my new tablet. I've always been digging through the 3d modelling part and never had any thoughts on creating any textures by hand. But as i came across the Dota 2 workshop i began to read some guides about shaders and such. Thats when i found the interest in creating hand painted textures. Though it takes some time and patience it's a rewarding challange.

But before i do anything more out of the knowledge i have, i would like to get some feedback on the work i've done recently.

bP2rn.png

WdzUX.png

Replies

• blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    not bad! There are some things I'd consider though:
    on the shield,
    -the level of detail is a little wacky. Might be the painting, might be texel density, but the metalrim's details seem much tighter compared to the wood. That doesn't mean the knicks and scratches need to be the same size between the two, just that the level of pixel-work seems too wildly different and it gives the prop an unfinished feel.
    -the center skull is a little hard to read. Might be a shape, which is a shame because it is a neat shape. Maybe you could bring out the teeth andeyes more in the paintjob somehow.
    -Try working in some handpainted shadowing under the metal rim-lip, on the wood. when Handpainting stuff some of the traditional 'don't paint lighting in!' rules can be bent a bit more in the name of a cool style.
    -Right now it looks like you paint mostly in tints-and-shades. I'd start working in some color variation to give the prop some life. You want to avoid making each 'section' look like it could have been painting grayscale and then tinted.

on the arch: This is really too dark and zoomed out to tell much. Some of the detailing looks neat, but I think in actual game the prop would look almost black. Remember that the darkest color you use is how the prop will look when hit with a full-bright light in game, so you gotta be careful painting large blocks below 50% in value. Or maybe its just my monitor. Either way, showing the flat textures would let people offer more direct feedback on the paintjob.

Keep it up!
  • Ladvox
    Offline / Send Message
    Ladvox polycounter lvl 4
    on the arch: This is really too dark and zoomed out to tell much. Some of the detailing looks neat, but I think in actual game the prop would look almost black. Remember that the darkest color you use is how the prop will look when hit with a full-bright light in game, so you gotta be careful painting large blocks below 50% in value. Or maybe its just my monitor. Either way, showing the flat textures would let people offer more direct feedback on the paintjob.

Thanks for the feedback!

Maby it wasn't much of an idea to post a post processed picture (color layer/darkness) as feedback reference, though i'd post the whole scene but here is one directly from the render.

sLDcRA.png
  • Kerstin
    I think it they both look good but something I thought of is that I would like to see more highlights on the metal of the shield and more contrast on the arch, don't be afraid to go crazy with colours, it's quite "scary" in the beginning but after a while it turns out really nice (most of the time). Keep up the nice work~ C:
  • Ladvox
    Offline / Send Message
    Ladvox polycounter lvl 4
    Kerstin wrote: »
    I think it they both look good but something I thought of is that I would like to see more highlights on the metal of the shield and more contrast on the arch, don't be afraid to go crazy with colours, it's quite "scary" in the beginning but after a while it turns out really nice (most of the time). Keep up the nice work~ C:

I see, could work more with the colors and contrast and see if i can find another more satisfying look! Thanks for the feedback.