Home General Discussion

Advice Request - animator --> QA - 1 Step back for 2 steps forward?

mod
Hey guys, I`m looking for some advice on something I've been thinking about a lot lately.

I'm currently working in a small studio. My official title is 3d animator, but I am essentially a generalist. Been here for 2 years now, but I feel like I am in a rut. I am not learning anything at work, or really becoming a better animator from it. It's a small studio and everyone was been hired straight out of school (although our titles don't say it, we're all juniors, essentially), and I am one of 2 animators (I've been there longest). Almost all of my progress as an animator has come from outside of work. Personal work / iAnimate. I have looked for other jobs, but can't seem to find anything. Seems like most places just aren't hiring.

Here's where I`m looking for advice. To try and find that next job, I've really been considering applying for QA jobs so that I at least get my foot in the door at a larger studio and then try and move up from there. I know other people who have gone from QA to something else in studios, and I know it depends on the studio. Some studios don't have QA in the same building, so it would be harder to meet the people you need to meet in order to move up. Temp QA jobs would make it really hard to move up as well.

It would feel like a step back, but could potentially put me further ahead than if I were to stay where I was for another year. But the step back, I just don't know if it's a good choice or not. The pay would probably be about the same, maybe even slightly better, but chances are I would have to move, so I'd be paying rent, as well as student debt, which would be a little tricky on that salary. Probably doable, but tricky.

Has anyone been in a situation like this? Any stories about going form QA to animator / artist? Anything to help, really.

TL : DR - Im in a rut at work. Currently an animator, but am thinking of taking a step back and applying for a QA job at a larger studio and try and move up within. Good or Bad?

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    You're an animator with 2 years professional experience.... you've already broken in, you should be applying for animation positions. To quote the great sage Parappa the Rappa "YOU GOTTA BELIEVE!"
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    2 years and already in a rut? My rule of thumb is about 3-5 then you start looking, that's for any job and not just games industry. Speaking of which can't even get interviewed for a QA job. Heh.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I really wouldn't do it.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Wouldn't recommend going back to QA if you're already working a design type job, since it would be a monumental setback. I think QA is the way forward if you want to get a foot in the door, but for someone who's already working in the industry it will get old quickly and I think you would likely regret it. I would continue what you were doing and keep searching for work outside your current job.

Have you thought about trying freelance? There's quite a bit of work for animators around the Unity/UDK forums if you look hard enough.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    alright, thanks guys.

Justin, I've been applying to animator jobs when I see them posted. Had 1 anim test, and the rest i never hear back from. Problem is, anim jobs are rarely posted, or so it seems. a lot of studios ive seen, they have postings for entire art departments, except for animators. Ive tried applying anyways, but alas.

Though, maybe ill have some luck in the near future. New year, companies tend to start hiring again, right?

Torch, I would look into freelance, but i dont have the time right now. Gotta focus on finishing iAnimate first
  • Cexar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cexar polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Slip,

I've also been working as an animator for about a year and I've become more of a generalist to fit the needs of the current project. It broadened my skillset but it gave me some great insight about what I really enjoy doing in a game production. So I talked to my lead to get more animation tasks. So in a near future project I'm going to work as 100% animator/tech animator (read 80% because implementation and getting the blends to work is something I really want to see done well).

It didn't happen directly though but I tried to be clear of what I want to do at the company so that they can try to fit me in accordingly. Of course I'll help out because I'm very grateful but it's not as inspiring and I think you can see that in my work.

If you're ready to move on then maybe try to talk to your employer to get more animation tasks?

Also, tried tailoring a reel for a certain company yet?

Edit: On topic, I don't know if QA is the best way to go, especially with two years of relevant animation experience.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To me it seems like you should stay where you're at unless QA seems more stable or does something that your current job doesn't do, like pay more, better hours, better benefits, shorter commute. I'm not sure it would do those things? It MIGHT give you an inside track on job postings but I wouldn't count on QA to provide you with a network. Often its not even in the same building as development, often management doesn't even have regular contact with development...

I worked in tech support for a big company (Atari) while I was teaching myself to make games and use programs and it didn't offer me much other than stability and and a chance to learn during down time which there was a lot of. I kind of got paid to teach myself and that was pretty awesome.

My current job isn't that glorious and I'm still learning and practicing, I'm thankful that I do a good enough job that I get paid for it, heh.

You do have to be careful of "grass is always greener" syndrome. In some ways its good to always want something better but hopefully you don't spend your life always pushing for something more and forget to make yourself happy now.

It might also be weird to see a hole on your resume?

There might be a chance that QA has longer weirder hours that hurts your animation studies? QA is known for having to crunch pretty hard, I would hate to see that eat into your efforts to secure a better animation position.

Unless the current job dried up and you had to take a QA job to pay the bills I'm not so sure I would leave.

my 2 cents.
  • StephenVyas
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Yeah man, I would stay where you are at. honestly. Right now you are gaining time and experience in a position that only helps you. I would say that there is nothing to stop you from just hammering away at animation in your off time. There is plenty in my current job that can feel like a rut. We're using dated engines and tech, and the things I make for work are on the level with last generation graphics. I have also very much felt like I was in a rut.

To get through it I started teaching myself extra tools in my off time. I started messing with UDK more and more just to get experience in something I didn't have access to at work. You being an animator, have you tried messing with the source film maker? It seems like a good spot to be able to animate models and scenes with characters that are rigged and ready to go.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    ya, thanks guys. I feel you're all right. It was just a thought, but that's why I asked. See if my judgement was clouded or not.

Stephen, thanks for the links. Applied to rockstar months ago with no reply, and that ghost fx is for 1 week only. I would need a FT job.

Praetus, Ya, There are many other things I want to learn too. Like, I would love to do some sculpting (with real clay) just to do something different and fresh, or even learn some code and make an mini indie game on my spare time. But, until I get a better job, Im focusing on getting better at animation via my online classes, which take all my time outside of work / girlfriend. But I definitely see what you mean.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    If you have the time & motivation... Searching through each of these companies 1by1 & it may lead to a potential gig. Send your reel to your favorites, even if they're not hiring. Who knows what can happen in 24hrs!

http://gamedevmap.com/index.php?tool=location&query=Toronto

Edit: Also, if you don't have to limit yourself to Game Studios. I have a list of Visual Effects/Film studios in that area as well.