Home Technical Talk

How man pieces can you unwrap?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Geta-Ve polycounter lvl 7
So, I am trying to figure out a solution to an issue involving a game I am developing.

The problem is that we have a HUGE (seriously, huge) piece of geometry acting as the ocean for our world, in fact, the whole game takes place on the ocean. This part, may not be avoidable, at least not yet. So, at first I thought it would be impossible to texture the whole thing, because you will, obviously, run in to insane stretching.

But then I thought, what if I texture a little piece of the geometry and simply repeat the texture? That is definitely a solution, but, the caveat here is that this piece of geometry will probably end up having over 15,000 polygons. There are two reasons for this. The first being that in order to repeat the texture, we'd need to have a lot of pieces to repeat on to, the second is that the world is cylindrical, I can't exactly explain the details, but think of the rolling log effect, ala Death Spank.

To further complicate things this is for mobile. So to get a respectable texture quality onto this ocean cylinder we need at least 15k polys, EACH with their own texture.

Is this at all a viable solution?

Replies