Home Technical Talk

Display aging

walkonsky
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
walkonsky polycounter lvl 11
Im looking for a new monitor at the moment. My cheap old 17" from 2005 (!) shows some pretty bad signs of old age...

I'd like a monitor with a full-HD resolution at a relatively small size (~22") and with 16x10 aspect ratio which means 1920x1200px.
This is very hard to find. At the moment, virtually all displays have 1920x1080 which i really dont like. Too wide for my taste. (Only Apple and Eizo seem to build displays like that but they are too expensive for me... :shifty: )

However, I found the Lenovo L220x from 2008 which has all the specs that i am looking for and was reviewed with good results. In particular, the image quality was rated very good (its a SPVA panel). (Do you think there might be a change in what was considered good image quality from 2008 to now?)

The main question i have is if this display could really improve my situation. 2008 is only 3 years younger than the display i have at the moment. Do you think there is a difference in aging between higher and lower quality displays? How would you consider aging of displays in general? Do you replace your monitors regularly?

(Does anyone of you maybe even have a good advice on a monitor with at least most of my specs?)

Replies

• SuperDuty455
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperDuty455 polycounter lvl 6
    I have many LCD monitors of various sizes and I haven't noticed a visible aging on any of them, even the cheap ones or those I've bought new (first one in 2004). Some do have darker or lighter areas that are not very noticable. I'm not exactly sure what does this, if it's from the LCD itself or the backlight reflective layers.

What gets bad are capacitors, they're easy to change though. That concerns ALL the screens I've come across, from Dell with Delta PSUs to unbranded monitors. Screen makers know those caps are cheap and bad, so they will die after a few years and you have to buy a new one. Screens are a pain in the *ss to take apart, and getting them repaired by a professional is often more costly than a new monitor. If you do it yourself, it's a very cheap repair.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Hi walkonsky

I am using a HP LP2475w and a newer HP ZR2440w, the LP2475 wins hands down on all fronts and it is older but it has held it's retail value at around 520 euros. So newer does not necessarily mean better picture quality. Best thing to do is test them in the shop if you can.

If the HP LP2475 goes under 500 euros I will buy another one, superb monitor for graphics imo.

Good luck :)

pete
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got a Dell 2408wfp (ie: 2008 model, 8bit PVA) which is fantastic, i've had it for a few years, the 2010 model is a little better (10 bit IPS) and the 2012 model is a little worse (6 bit e-IPS).

I don't think a 2008 model monitor is necessarily much worse than today's displays, a big trend today is for these cheap 6-bit e-IPS displays, which are a huge step up from TN, but worse in most cases than h/s-IPS or *VA panels.

1920x1200 is common in 24" monitors but not really in 22-23", which are generally 1920x1080 or less.
  • walkonsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, that was fast! thx guys!
    good to know that you think that there should not be any general shift in image quality from 2008 to now.
    anymore insights on aging? i'm not yet completely comfortable with the idea of buying myself only three more years before having to start over...
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've had my Dell 2408fpw for over 3 years, I'm not seeing any "aging" here, and I just ran some color calibration/tests/etc on it, it tested out to around factory specs from what I understand. My secondary monitor is over 4 years old and seems to be about as good as when I purchased it as well.

My wife has 2003 and 2004 Dell ultrasharp 17" screens, both look fine to me.

"Aging" was more common with CRT monitors, which would fade over time. LCDs may have a slight "color shift" over time, which is why people recommend you calibrate often, but it shouldn't be a severe degradation of display quality like you'd get on a CRT.

If you're seeing a real noticeable change in your monitor, it may be a more serious problem, or it might be common of lower quality displays? All of the monitors that we own are *VA panels of some sort(except my 1 year old e-IPS laptop).
  • walkonsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, after doing a little more google-research on the topic, i came to the same conclusion pretty much.
    the main issue with LCDs seems to be that the background light might decrease in intensity. with the display i had in mind that should not be a problem as the background light is said to be very strong. the shift in colour seems to be only a minor problem as you don't really find any detailed information about that...

with that in mind, i actually bought the lenovo display today. the vendor told me that it is about 3 years old which is a big improvement to my monitor that is more than 7 years old now.
    I'm hoping that the new one arrives before the end of the week. :)

Thanks again for all your thoughts!