Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first Sculpt - it's a head

Hi! happy 2013.

since the Mayan's were wrong.

My new years resolution, along with all the obvious ones, get into shape, be nicer, was to learn something new / make some Dota 2 items.

anyways I started with Zbrush.
it seemed to be the most flashy of the 3d modelling programs and it's core concept of sculpting was something that my mind could grasp better then the "Maths" of 3dstudio / Maya.

Here is day 1 of work. (been studying tutorials / speed paints / forums
for about a a week or 2)

doing the head without any reference . just keep touching my fingers to my face every few minutes.

I posted this to the 2013 thread when I was done for that day.
tumblr_mg2nmskFrm1qiiinao1_1280.jpg

Second day I worked on the head getting a little more used to how tools work and loving the smooth brush.

tumblr_mg4mlyeJ8h1qiiinao1_1280.jpg

sorry for the re-post from the 2013 thread... but it felt wrong to just keep dumping minor updates into that beast.

Replies

• ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Hey, not a bad start for a first time!
    I'd suggest giving the Move brush a shot to push/pull those shapes around to get your overall proportions right, especially the back/sides of the head, before you continue too far with the face.

Also maybe a couple sphere's for eyes would help your sculpt.
    Keep it up!
  • dogzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dogzer polycounter lvl 8
    A few crits. You forgot the ears! And you should spend some time smoothing those bump.
    Best first head I've ever seen, though! Keep it up!
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    Always use reference, especially when you`re just starting out sculpting
    Also dont subdivide like crazy in the beginning, it gives a very blobbish result in the end. Just start out on one subdiv and only subdivide or dynamesh higher when youve reached a point where polygons are being stretched noticeably

good luck
  • poodleswithguns
    thank you all for the kind words and critiques
    took them in. examined what I had and moved forward... or rather moved in a direction, possibly not forward.

I knew in my subconscious that there was a reason I'd been neglecting his ears...

tumblr_mg6jssta3L1qiiinao1_1280.jpg

They are definitely too big. I think the top of the ear should be in line with his eyebrow area, it's not.

It's also very gooey. I can't seem to get enough polygons into the ear at lower subdivision levels...

I think I have to go in and try and retopologize that area. See if I can force some more polys into that region then subdivide back up. Just have to figure out how to do that or figure out how to use brushes to median out the bumps. The smooth brush at higher subdivisions seems to work more in the detail then effecting actual shapes.

anyways work continues. it's fun I find myself thinking about my head when doing other things.

I know he has this flat surface / indent right at his eyebrow temple area. I like it, adds charm and distinction.
  • TehSplatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TehSplatt polycounter lvl 11
    You should change your mat cap to basic materiel or something along those lines
  • poodleswithguns
    TehSplatt wrote: »
    You should change your mat cap to basic materiel or something along those lines

do the different mat caps actually have geometry properties? i thought they where just cosmetic.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    They are. The Red Matcap with its grey cavity mapping just makes reading details trickier at times.

If you're worried about the distribution of your polygons, you can use a Dynamesh to get a consistent layout across the entire model. You'll probably lose a bit of detail doing that, so the best way to work is to duplicate the model first, apply the dynamesh and then project and subdivide back to a nice detailed level.

Your model is coming along quite well. At this point the forehead is the part that needs the most work - the cranium is rather bulbous.

It's also probably worth developing the neck a little bit more. As Scoobydoofus suggested, popping some spheres into the eye sockets would help you develop that area too.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    They are just cosmetic, but different matcaps will let you see your forms in different ways. The default Red Wax is pretty universally hated around here tho...

I'd say, if you're having geo density problems, you may want to learn how to Dynamesh your sculpt, which will evenly distribute your detail across the whole thing.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/ScoobyDoofus
    I've got a little YouTube channel with some timelapse videos of me sculpting heads, some of which I've even narrated to explain my thoughts and techniques. I humbly suggest, you might enjoy checking it out!
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    Here's some basic facial anatomy guidelines for ya...
    1. from front view the top of the ear lines up with the eyebrow and the bottom of the ear lines up with the bottom of the nose of the top of the lip... kinda depends on the shape of the ear.
    2. your eyes should be eye width apart. So if your eyes are 3.5cm from inner eye to outter eye then your eyes should be 3.5cm apart from left inner eye to right inner eye.
    3. from the front view, the edges of your mouth when closed should line up with your pupils, this does vary a little bit.
    4. you really need to get a pen tablet because it really looks like your using zbrush with a mouse. Which sucks :S

for your first sculpt your better than I was so just STUDY REFERENCE. If you look at an image and see some of the silhouette or shapes don't look quite right you can change them without trying to remember what you think they should look like.

A lot of new artists try to just "wing it" because they think pro's wing it and make it look easy.... a pro might wing it for fun...... after frickin years of studying anatomy images and reference.
  • poodleswithguns
    This thing got away from me.

I know the exact moment it happened. my ears were sticking out to far from the head and I tried moving them in to get a better overall position. A) I had stepped down subdivision levels B) my higher subdivision levels all remembered the higher points after the move. So when I smoothed out the crease i'd created (looking back on it an amazing way to create scars in a round about way) i had to re-smooth and readjust the crease every subdivision all the way back up. why would i do that... no idea... i did it though.

so ya after i'd done that.

out of gas.

gave myself a couple of days (big mistake) and then completely lost the feel of the head.

so here is the last picture for the first sculpt. it's not in "hated" red matcap but in a more fitting tombstone grey.

tumblr_mghfc5dm2q1qiiinao1_1280.jpg

so onward to the next sculpt project.

I got like 3 "best practices" ideas that i need to write down and post-it to my monitor.

1) use REFERENCE
    2) before subdividing is there anything more you can do at this level
    3) Don't focus on any one part to the exclusions of the others.

oddly, slightly modified versions of these 3 best practice ideas are written down in pshop, illustrator, sketch book, paint buckets, spray cans, and any other surface / device I've used.

P.S
    thank you everyone for your time, critiques and kind words. Without them I'd never have gotten past the first day doing this. And I look forward to dazzling everyone in the future.

Yes, Dazzle I said, and yes, in the "future" like 2077.