Home General Discussion

Organizing files

I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't seem to find any thread regarding this.
Anyway to the point. I can't seem to figure out a good way to keep my project files organised. Especially when using GoZ and 3ds max.
So my question is do you use export, import and scene folders that come with 3ds max? Using these folders I find myself having project files spread around jungle of folders.
Or do you prefer saving all project files(.max, .zbr, .psd) in one folder somewhere under My Documents?

Replies

• GrevSev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrevSev polycounter lvl 9
    I use to have everything spread out where it was suppose to be.. like the scene files would be under documents, my ref would be in the pictures folder, Video related ref in the videos and Id use my Desktop to put temporary files and Id just have them all grouped as one with the W7 Libraries feature. Doing this, over time caused slow loading and folders not showing up and I hate anything to be on my desktop that isn't the wallpaper.

But now I've created a folder under C\Users\PC Called "Game Art" to put everything of the sort in. I then added that single folder to a Libraries folder so I can use that folder tree function it has to get through folders within it quicker.

In the Game Art folder I have a Maya, Zbrush, Photoshop, Textures, Basemesh, Reference, Other (For Temp stuff) And a folder to document My progress

The Libraries are my favorite thing about Windows 7