Home Technical Talk

Tangent Normal map issues

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
devingeesr polycounter lvl 13
I'm pretty sure this has been covered somewhere and if so shot me the link. Here is the problem my tangent space normal map looks like shit. How do I fix with without spending hours in photoshop. Should I just re-bake it?

normals+issue.jpg

Replies

• devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1. high poly
    2. Object normal map
    3. tangent normal map
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Bake directly as tangent space normal map?In which software are you baking?
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using maya sorry forgot to mention that
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    could you post more information? Also, if you want I can take a look at the files and see if there is anything wrong with how the model is set up.(alecmoody@gmail.com) Mayas baker and viewport are synched up so you should get a better result than that. It looks like something isn't matching up with either the triangulation or normals.
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I created the highpoly in zbrush then created the low rez in maya. Brought both into maya and did a bake in maya with all the edges soften. I ran the object base normal first. Then I did the tangent base normal. I post an example.
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    It looks like your edges are at or above 90 degrees. these will need to be lessened, (like 80 degrees or less) or they'll need to be hardened and the uvs split along those edges.

If you look below, the boxes on the far right have a similar issue to what you have, smoothing issues because the angle of the low poly's edges are too sharp yet are one smoothing group. (low-poly smoothing groups try to fake a smoothed surface with shading, when the angle gets farther away from perfectly flat, more and more shading errors will show up. )

Now if you harden the edges and bake, you'll need to split the uv's apart as explained by the second pic.

Examples of 90 degree edge baking:
    YgC0V.png

Hard edge example:
    split_uvs_edges.jpg

And some general explanations of the whats and whys of normal maps and such:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107196

Good luck! :)
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK cool thanks -Avanthera

Here is the update made for my normal map

geomerty_NM.jpg

surface_NM.jpg
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The first one is geometry bake the second one is a surface bake.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Avanthera wrote: »
    It looks like your edges are at or above 90 degrees. these will need to be lessened, (like 80 degrees or less) or they'll need to be hardened and the uvs split along those edges.

Maya is synced with itself and while I agree that he should make an effort to simplify the the normal map, it is important that he understands why this is happening in the first place. Also, just to clear things up, the 90 degree rule is misleading. There is no specific angle at which you must split a model. It is more productive to think in terms of flat surfaces with complicated smoothing on them. That means looking at the topology of the flat areas and adjacent surfaces.

Looking at your scene file the normals on your objects were set to unweighted. Maya 2013 should be defaulting to "angle and area weighted". I don't do much baking inside maya so I don't know if maya 2013 always bakes with that expectation or if it uses whatever normals are selected in the drop down menu. Either way, it looks like that got switched.
    angle_area_weighted.jpg

If you send the normal map file over I can confirm that is the problem.

Earlier versions of maya didn't have this drop down and they used a different method internally (I think just angle weighted but I would need to check on that).
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks - AlecMoody
    You have been a great help I will try and post an update later today!
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody wrote: »
    Maya is synced with itself and while I agree that he should make an effort to simplify the the normal map, it is important that he understands why this is happening in the first place. Also, just to clear things up, the 90 degree rule is misleading. There is no specific angle at which you must split a model. It is more productive to think in terms of flat surfaces with complicated smoothing on them. That means looking at the topology of the flat areas and adjacent surfaces.

Looking at your scene file the normals on your objects were set to unweighted. Maya 2013 should be defaulting to "angle and area weighted". I don't do much baking inside maya so I don't know if maya 2013 always bakes with that expectation or if it uses whatever normals are selected in the drop down menu. Either way, it looks like that got switched.
    angle_area_weighted.jpg

If you send the normal map file over I can confirm that is the problem.

Earlier versions of maya didn't have this drop down and they used a different method internally (I think just angle weighted but I would need to check on that).

That is a good quuestion I check in a new file to see is that is the case.
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So yup that was the issue, I'm no sure how it got switch cause I never changed it but it did here the update:
    Screen+Shot+2013-01-07+at+11.37.44+PM.png
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will say that the other maps I made look cleaner why is that?
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So the Vertex Normal Method was automatically set to unweighted I have to check it on every model before I bake now.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I think your low is far too, well, low, to be honest. You have quite a few smoothing issues still in spots, which will be solved by better geo and/or better UV splits.
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium wrote: »
    I think your low is far too, well, low, to be honest. You have quite a few smoothing issues still in spots, which will be solved by better geo and/or better UV splits.

How do i go about fixing the issue? just adding more geo around the edges of the mesh? Here is the current geo!
    Screen%2BShot%2B2013-01-11%2Bat%2B1.14.00%2BAM.png
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Start by making hard edges in places you have UV border edges.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Well, at lot of those loops are quite random and it could be pushed a lot more, which would free up some polygons to use in smoothing out the rounder sections.

But really, what you want to do is split any edge thats 90 degrees. You just don't want to do that it, it causes some serious issues with smoothing most of the time. So you have a choice, you can either split the UV islands much better, which would give the sides their own islands and then the flat top its own, which would help. Or you could add support chamfers all along the edges, which would help but also increase the polycount far too high.

In short, your best bet is to just re-think your support loops and look at where you actually need all those tris. If they don't add to the silhouette, get rid of them. Add a few more tris down near the teeth on the blade, not a lot, just a few more, just to better match the shape there. An example is that the teeth do this: \__/ but your low poly does this \/ so that can be matched better.

But yeah, the best thing you do is just sort that uv map out, split the islands better, and you will get it.
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SS_01.jpg
    SS_00.jpg
    test_UV.jpg

Ok so here is the update
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crap the teeth on the bottom was not fixed I will fix it again other than that let me know what you think.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Some of these shells should be stitched with a support loop added to to control shading behavior. Shouldn't cost that much more on the vertex count and will allow you to paint this a lot easier/with fewer UV shells.

Also,
    I may have missed it in the thread but- what is the target engine? If it for a synced up workflow you can do something like this without needing supporting loops.
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's going to be place into udk
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is a 3486 tri knife acceptable in the next gen game or is that way to much?
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Is a dwarf ok to drive in an car with only 3 seats?

You can't really ask those sorts of questions, because the answers will range depending on what it is you're doing, and who you are talking to. For the asset above, I would say even with teeth that seems a "little" high, but thats based on a first person title, with major detail. Then you have lower detail first person games, or third person games etc etc etc...

It all depends on what it is you are doing in relation to everything else. We can only give you suggestions, its for you to see what you can do and how far you need to take it.

I will say this, looking at your unwrap above, it could be a LOT better. You need to be looking at 1:1 pixel mapping, even more so if its for a first person title. You should also keep sections in one piece if possible, like the flat sides of the handle/blade, which means go for a none square texture. In my eyes, its also too low poly (the above shot) and should match the high a lot more, but at the same time, has far too many edge loops... But then these may be there for your engine and lighting pipeline. Like I said, we can only offer suggestions, not give a certain answer.
  • imperator_dk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imperator_dk polycounter lvl 10
    devingeesr wrote: »

Given that it is typically something you equip _instead_ of a firearm or similarly detailed model i would say that its fine since a current gen firearm is easily 5000 polygons, and equipping the knife typically means not rendering the weapon you had previously equipped.

If it's never seen up close, then it is way too high.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

3500-ish is totally fine. If its for a first person current gen game, its the first person view model, and you wont be rendering another gun at the same type, 5-10000 triangles even wouldn't be entirely out of line(not that I'm saying you need that much). The thing with first person weapon triangle counts - you're generally only rendering 1 asset, so whether its a knife or a rocket launcher, 5-10k or even 15k in some instances isn't going to effect performance on modern hardware in current game engines.

So yeah, 3500 is totally fine for a first person knife asset. For a first person asset like this, you shouldn't be able to see any normal map errors, and you shouldn't be able to see jagged low-polyness of any of your edges.

If the model is a 3rd asset, you've already got too much detail. For a 3rd person asset or prop that will be seen very small on screen, you wouldn't model in the circular cut outs, you wouldn't model in any of the detail in the serrated teeth etc.
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is just a test but this the normal map for the new mesh. There is some edge control on the mesh. So for this mesh it would for a first person type game. Now here is another question whether your doing first or third person game that involves weapons what would be the best way to display it in your portfolio? I have the high poly and the updated lowpoly mesh. Would modeling weapons for first person be the best way to dispaly weapons for your profolio?

edge_controll_test.jpg
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Once again that was only a test and not the final UV layout.
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is another mesh that I'm working on as well. I'm trying to nail down the first one before I move on to the next.
    SS_01.jpg
    SS_00.jpg
    SS_02.jpg
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    You can't "tease" UV maps like that. If its not the right unwrap, you likely won't get the right results. Simpl as that. That unwrap above was probably the worst one yet.

Stick a checker texture over it, spplit the UV islands as we have said, use 1 1024x512 texture, move on. Simple as that.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Once again that was only a test and not the final UV layout.

odium wrote: »
    You can't "tease" UV maps like that. If its not the right unwrap, you likely won't get the right results. Simpl as that. That unwrap above was probably the worst one yet.

Stick a checker texture over it, spplit the UV islands as we have said, use 1 1024x512 texture, move on. Simple as that.

Reading comprehension lol...
    Now here is another question whether your doing first or third person game that involves weapons what would be the best way to display it in your portfolio? I have the high poly and the updated lowpoly mesh. Would modeling weapons for first person be the best way to dispaly weapons for your profolio?

When modeling weapons for FPV, you should model the high and low thinking about how the model will be viewed at FPV angle. This means generally giving the scope/sight area the most geometry detail(areas close up in your face should never look jagged and low poly) and texture resolution, it means checking from the right angles so your asset looks interesting from FPV, not just from a side shot(people tend to model guns as if the only reference they have is a side shot).

When presenting its good to show a few angles, but always show a shot from a FPV-ish angle to give an idea of how it would look in game. This is more important for something like a gun than a knife though.
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Sorry the other files where currupted before I could post them. But here is the update pretty much the same results as the test just orgainzed. Sorry if I keep beating a dead cat but some of the information was conflicting and as someone trying to improve I want to make sure that I'm headed down the right path. I'm nowhere near the level I would like to achive or that of you all here. And I'm just tring to get a little insight. Thank you for your time and input and I will pay an little more attention to the detials of the knowleadge given here.

NM_Map.jpg

UV_Map.jpg

WF_Map.jpg
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see the gaps on the normal map and will fix them. 2514 tri's I also see some more geo that can be fixed. Thank you for the suggestion on the 1024 x 512 map I was going to ask that thank you all for your time.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    The newest model has taken the supporting loops way to far. This model will work- but I think it is more important that you get a solid grasp on how to build clean/efficient models in the future.
    I would suggest you back out to before you added any of this geometry. Then UV map this in a way that is sensible for someone to paint on. After that, split smoothing where you have border edges and it is free. Finally, add supporting loops where you need them to control shading.
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have updated the model and will post that soon. I wanted to know how to fix maya alpha issue. When I apply an alpha map every thing turns see through