Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Skate (Streets of Rage) - WIP

Hey guys

So I have just finished up a piece for university which had to be aimed at recreating a fighting game character. I decided to take skate and age him appropriately for a 2012 fighting game (he averages out around 35).

pose-shot2.png

I was not happy with my final submission and instead of just letting it sit on the shelf I am going to keep working at it to try and get the best result I can.

You can find all of the submitted images along with the posed shot at the top here.

http://turkeysan.wordpress.com/skate-wip/

I started looked back t my sculpt tonight and I can still see a LOT of areas that need work.

skatepolycountfullshot.png

The small bit of work that I have done tonight is starting to add damage on the knee pads and some small work was done to the trim of the glove where the plastic guard is. Evidently you can tell that sculpting cloth is not my strong point and I would love to improve this.

If anyone has any feedback or maybe some links to things that may help me take this in the right direction then that would be fantastic.

Thank you for reading this and I hope everyone is well :)

Oli

Replies

• Turkey-San
    Hey guys!

Just a quick update on how I am doing. I initially started looking back at my sculpt but then realised that a lot of the smaller details that I wanted in the skates, as well as the overall form, was not where I wanted it to be. Thus, instead of attempting to fix it in Zbrush I decided to rework the base mesh for the skates.

new-base-skatespres.png

Any crits appreciated, and Merry Christmas!
  • Turkey-San
    Hey guys!

Just a quick update to the gloves. Previously the base mesh had no extra parts to the mesh to define the plastic guard, also the piece of material over the knuckles has been changes to better fit the reference. I am going for a kind of bulged trim around the outside and a mesh in the middle.

new-glovepres.png

Any crits appreciated!
  • Turkey-San
    Hey guys!

Well I suppose this will be the last update of 2012! I decided to put some time into the sculpt of the Skate itself. My intention is to try and finish off most of the sub tools individually and then project the normals in both Zbrush and Max then combine the two. I always find that I have a lot more control over projection in Max with stronger results.

shoe-sculpt-pres.png

Well I hope everyone has a good new year, as always any crits appreciated.
  • Turkey-San
    Hey guys!

Just an update with the texturing. Just started with blocking in some colours, the next step will be to start filling in the dirt/grime and scratches. I always find texturing in Zbrush a little daunting but I thought I'd give it a go. If anything I will do touch ups and extra definition after the retop and unwrap in Photoshop.

shoe-texture-update.png

As always any crits appreciated.
  • DashXero
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    Skate... I remember that character. I used to fight with my cousins to determine who got to play as him on SoR2...

It's a bit weird to see him aged that many years... Makes me feel like an old man. And, it's kind of weird to see a 35-year-old dude riding roller blades outside of a forest preserve or something. But, seeing that caused me to wonder if there were ways for it to be plausible. For example, current economy sucks. What if the only job Skate could get was as some kind of roller courier. Maybe he could have some kind of courier's bag or something (it could also help to break up symmetry). Maybe he got attacked while he was carrying something important and that causes him to spring into action and take to the streets once more... I dunno. I'm just trying to make sense of the whole idea that he's 35 and still rolling around on roller blades.

I took a look at the old piece you did, and I noticed that the normal map seemed to be flipped in a way that wasn't very flattering (I think it may have been the G channel). You may want to be wary of that in the future.

For the current skates, they look pretty cool, and are definitely an improvement over the old ones.
  • Turkey-San
    Hey DashXero,

Thanks for taking a look at Skate! When the idea was originally conceived it was meant to be nothing more than just a strict update for hypothetical use in a game. I agree there is a lot of symmetry on the upper torso, I could never really think of anyway to break it up. I really like the idea of a roller courier service, it makes me think a little of Yun from street fighter, though the last thing I want to do is make him too small in stature. Making Skate more geared to a courier service could potentially allow some emblems/logos on the shirt which could at least start some asymmetry in the model.

The normal map has always been a bit of a problem which I intend to iron out. I often work with the Xoliul shader in Max which is nothing like putting it into UDK.

Anyway here is an update to the skates,

shoe-texture-update2.png

I wanted the skates to look worn but I fear that they have overall gotten way too dark. I have stated this before but my texturing in Zbrush is not all that great but I think its a start. Here is a look at the skates with the character to gain some context of how the texturing looks.

shoe-texture-update3.png
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLQ9_jSlj2g"]Thug Skating... - YouTube[/ame]

One noticeable critique I have is the wheels you have used don't look like roller blade wheels. The look like skateboard wheels or something similar. Most roller blade wheels are fairly narrow and long. Also, theh pads are somewhat free floating as most pads have rivet holes along the edges where they connect. Very nostalgic though. Played the hell out of that game.