Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My learning/progression art thread.

I just started getting really serious about art about a month ago, and have been drawing constantly everyday since. My real dream is to become a concept artist for whatever jobs need it. But mostly hoping to get into character concepts ect.

I've been watching a lot of digital artists speed paint, trying to learn a few tricks (which I did). So I'm going to be dumping my art starting from now to forever. At least until I get better.

I'm REALLY hoping at least one person comes and critiques my stuff/progression. Hopefully giving some tips and stuff like that. Paint overs and critique is EXTREMELY welcomed! This is a learning thread for me mostly so...Be very cruel.

**Edit**

I decided to paint in that upper body shot of the female I sketched out..I know it's pretty bad, but I'm not exactly sure where to improve my painting skills.

Replies

• Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Owl polycounter lvl 6
    Honestly, you're just going to have to do a ton more. Keep watching as many tutorials as you can. Keep practicing your anatomy, form, design, and painting. Just do more! Find other artists who represent the type of art style you want to do and draw/paint their stuff. Try to figure out the base shapes, designs that they built with. Think about why they made the choices they made, and then try doing some of your own. Wash, Rinse, repeat....

Don't be okay with crappy art, but don't beat yourself up either. Just learn from it and try again. Measure your stuff against the "professionals" out there. Aim high.

The best way to get better is to not give up, and keep trying. Little by little, you'll get there! :)

Sound good??? That's what I tell myself everyday... haha...
  • HeartOfLead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Owl wrote: »
    Honestly, you're just going to have to do a ton more. Keep watching as many tutorials as you can. Keep practicing your anatomy, form, design, and painting. Just do more! Find other artists who represent the type of art style you want to do and draw/paint their stuff. Try to figure out the base shapes, designs that they built with. Think about why they made the choices they made, and then try doing some of your own. Wash, Rinse, repeat....

Don't be okay with crappy art, but don't beat yourself up either. Just learn from it and try again. Measure your stuff against the "professionals" out there. Aim high.

The best way to get better is to not give up, and keep trying. Little by little, you'll get there! :)

Sound good??? That's what I tell myself everyday... haha...

Thanks for the words of encouragement mate. I will defenetly be focused on learning as much as I can. It's just that I'm not a creative person in the sense of design. So creating things like clothing, or vehicles, or robots, armour. I have NO sense of design whatsoever. So I guess that's what I need to really focus on next, composition and design. thanks again mate.
  • Elyaradine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
    It's just that I'm not a creative person in the sense of design. So creating things like clothing, or vehicles, or robots, armour.
    Along with learning to draw/paint, you'll probably want to learn as much about the world as you can. And to do it by just studying everything by making drawings of them, and thinking about how they work. Maybe do studies like, focus a fortnight just on copying tropical fish, then one on the fashion of a particular decade, and then planes, battleships, tanks, guns, birds, architecture, etc., and just build up a super awesome visual library.

It then becomes much easier (after thousands of these drawings and studies) to be "creative", because you have all this reference internalised and ready for you to draw from when you need it. You can then combine various bits and pieces from all of the things you've drawn in the past to make a shark-tank, or a bird-submarine, or a steampunk-harpy, etc. As a concept artist, that's super damn valuable.

Good luck! :)