Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[prop] Junk Pile

Just finished this little skill test. Feedback is very welcomed.

junk01.jpg

junk02.jpg

junk03.jpg

junk04.jpg

Replies

• Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Seems like a lot of polys wasted to have a bunch of individual pieces for junk piles.

Perhaps look into the practice of clumping stuff buried into dirt or just a lot of smaller debris so you can make most of the detail bakes into the a textures, and only use polys on the larger pieces?
  • ghostwriter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio: Yeah for smaller pieces like little rocks the texture would be fine. I wanted to make a junk pile just with the meshes - no ground texture.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Even still, you're wasting a -lot- of triangles. Bricks should not be chamfered, broken bricks and cinderblocks have a lot of redundant loops, the center loop of the tire doesn't contribute enough to the silhouette to exist and the inside can be much sparser too.

In total this prop is ~5k triangles... far too much for some simple clutter. But it's not all due to inefficient modeling. It's also due to the objects you chose. Bricks are fine, since they can be done with only 12 triangles per object. Tires are okay too, but you've got too many, same goes for cinderblocks. What you wanna focus on are simple shaped objects:

lowpolyclutter.png
    Chips, boxes, pizza.
    Soup, cereal, pringles, chinese styrofoam container or hamburger-box, wine
    Milk, juice, crumpled juice, energydrink, cola, beer
    Bricks

All together are 698 triangles, average is less than 32 tris per object. When you compare that with your trash pile, it means I can render well over 1000 objects, enough for a giant pile of junk. In other words, if you use simpler objects you can cut down your polycount a lot.
  • wichenroder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apart from some redundant loops not contributing to the shape, I don't see a problem with your polycount, unless of course this is for a mobile platform. If it's not, and if you are employing LODs for instance, then you are totally fine to bevel a brick. I think your junk looks pretty good.
  • Un_dead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Un_dead polycounter lvl 11
    I think your junk looks pretty good.

if-you-know-what-i-mean-420x250.png

On a serious note, that's some pretty cool modelling. I think your normal map could use some work... It seems very noisy at the moment...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They look decent as individual objects but together they aren't working very well.

A few things...
    1) There are broken objects but not the remains of those broken objects. It's like someone went to a junk pile and picked out specific pieces and then arranged them. Where are the broken bits, the bits that have been smashed into dirt? Anytime anyone cleans up a pile of rubble the last stage is to sweep up the fine bits and dump that on top of the pile. Volunteer your time, do some manual labor get feel for the process so you can faithfully recreate it.

2) Your maps looks very sharp and very high res which makes me think that each piece is using its own pretty big texture map, when the whole pile should probably fit onto one of those maps.
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    Isn't this based on the 3dMotive tutorial?

I agree with a lot the stuff posted, especially about the polycount (which is insanely higher than it needs to be, Snader's examples are great).

The textures also appear to be quite high res, and noisy. There's no real material definition, the tires appear to be made of the same material as the cinderblocks, and your rebar is reading more as plastic then rusty metal. Maybe play around with spec/gloss maps?
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    They covered about everything, but you also have the extruded sides of the cinder blocks running the wrong direction. They should run parallel to the holes.

cinderblock-300x225.jpg