Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ozzy - Blizzard Contest Thread

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
ozzy310 polycounter lvl 8
Hey, fellow polycounters.

Another person doing the Blizzard Contest thing. What I 'am going for is a rabbit scavanger character that looks for discarded weapons after major battle has happened. At the moment I'm leaning towards 3, 7, or 8 but let me know what think. Thanks.

RabbitScavanger_Silohuettes01_zps89be7c5d.jpg

Replies

• 4evra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    So,u've already made your siluette a definitive one?

My 2 cents:

If he's a scavenger,he wants to keep a low profile.
    Not to get noticed while waiting or roaming.
    Not to look agressive,not to look like a potencial threat.
    Otherwise he would be killed.
    And,if he's doing scavenging,that point out that he's not skillfull in fights,otherwise he would be a warrior.

With that said,3rd option looks agresive with those spikes and armor.

i would go with no visible "hard" armor,just some cloth.
    Bandage from 8th looks nice.Maybe some hood too?
    Some rags around legs/arms,like in 7 or 1(i preffer 1's style)
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I think what really would benefit the 'search through junk' theme is an assortment of bags and other transportation methods. Some pouches for smaller things, a fairly large backpack, an efficient way to bundle or arrange weaponry, etc.
  • ozzy310
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks 4evra definitely made some good points and made a few changes. Snader, I figure that i would add a backpack for number 2 and 3. This time
    I feel that number three is the strongest and should just continue with it. What do you guys think?

RabbitScavanger_Silohuettes02_zpsd39c910c.jpg
  • 4evra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    Well,any1 of them looks good,so u can't go wrong :)
    Personally,i would combine them:
    -leg cloth from 1st one and a pouch
    -arm cloth from 2nd one(that extra bandage on his right arm is hitting the blending cover perfectly,and is such a casual detail)
    -body cloth from 3rd one.

That bandana has pros and cons.
    I imagine it being usefull item for scavenger,due to body stink on battlefield.And to hide identity when selling mercendise.But,it looks way too cool right now,it makes an impression of some sort of stealty or sneaky guy who's gonna stab u at the back on first chance.At least to me :)
    Perhaps some wear and tear,with use of some old cloth for texture would do the trick if u decide to go for it?

current concept gives away an impression of a mostly easily scared rabbit,who gets spoked every now and then,inteligent enough to know how to avoid attention,crowds,how to fly under the radar.Thus he makes the best of that talent,by going in and scavenging.Thought his face states he's a determined,capable but unwilling to act without utter need to avoid drawing attention.
    A bit of a opposite stories from his race/job/style compared to his face are told.
    U could share with us how u imagined his personality,so we might help u more with the appearance which goes with it :)
  • ozzy310
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The way I see this character would be a very shady individual not at all interested in honor just trying to make a buck. Always trying to avoid any major conflicts but if cornered he will defend himself. The type of work he does by picking up discarded weapons out in the battle field if anything will require him to move a lot that is why I thought I would have him with light armor and enlarged feet to give him that agile ability.

Well ... Iam going to start modeling and I did a paint over. Let me know what you guys think and thanks for the comments and suggestions.

RabbitScavanger_Paintover01_zps18f04322.jpg
  • ozzy310
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, did a line up and I actually started to like number 3 color scheme.

RabbitScavanger_PaintoverLineUp01_zps5f681808.jpg
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Are these colors not very dull/gray/desaturated compared to the Blizzard artstyle?
  • ozzy310
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, Happy New Years.

Im almost done with modeling just need to work on the bandages and cloth and do a bit of clean up. At the moment the tri count is 4810.

Snader - Defintely going to work on it and make it more interesting maybe put some sort of design on the cloth and make it more brighter. Thanks for the feedback.

FirstPass_ScreenShot01_zps1bb7846f.jpg

FirstPass_ScreenShot02_zps2ca09b88.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I think Snader meant more in terms of saturation. Like right now, from your recent thumbnails, the colors aren't very saturated. WoW doesn't do subtle value ranges / saturation ranges :(.

I feel like the T-Pose could use a better gesture instead of a rigid "T" as it were.

I'm interested to see where this goes. I'm getting some deep Lugaru (Wolfire Games) vibes from this.
  • ozzy310
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, thanks for pointing that out haha. Checked out Lugaru it looks pretty badass definitely puts the eastern bunny to shame.
  • ozzy310
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Done with modeling, the tri count is at 4982. I also worked on the paintover so let me know what you guys think.

JackRabbitScavanger_Paintover01_zps8dce48ce.jpg

SecondPass_Present01_zps63c3ec9c.jpg