Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK[ Sci-Fi Hall to Tunnel

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
agarcellano polycounter lvl 4
Hey everyone,

I made a thread months ago on a Sci-Fi hallway I was making but decided to make a new thread since there has been many changes on it. I'm making a hallway that will lead to a tunnel underground and the emphasis will mainly be in the entrance.
I've been using a couple of references and most have been by some of the art/hallways I've seen on Polycount.

tumblr_mcoycr30DO1ricnv1o1_1280.png
This is a concept I made on what I'm going for. The end of the hallway will be a gate, almost as if it's under a big facility. The scene will have a bit more realistic-type textures, or art styles a bit similar to Star Wars The Force Unleashed.

tumblr_md04dbrtFH1ricnv1o1_1280.png
tumblr_md04dbrtFH1ricnv1o2_1280.png
tumblr_md04dbrtFH1ricnv1o3_1280.png
The light is pretty high at the moment. Once all the assets are in, I'll be working on the lighting. I'm currently working on the walls.

tumblr_md04dbrtFH1ricnv1o4_1280.png
tumblr_md04dbrtFH1ricnv1o5_1280.png
These are the two assets I have done for the scene so far. The blue cubes on the concept are for the metal crates.

I'll be working on the hallway first and then the tunnel after. Any feedback or critiques would be helpful as I move forward on the project.

Replies

• chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Well basically you need to let us crit before almost finishing assets off :P You'd end up in situations where it'll be tricky and annoying to go backwards to fix the things we say need fixing =P.

I feel that the create needs something more interesting, maybe a change in colors, play around with more colors to get a feel for it. You can also spot some really nasty texeldensity issues as well. Where some areas on the create have nice sharp texture res, and other areas really blurry.

The pillar looks pretty good, I don't really have any crits at the moment :)Good work and just keep going!
  • agarcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Chris for the critique. I'll definitely give some room for critiques and improvements. Had some time working back on the metal crate, re-did most of the diffuse and specular map, added some blue-ish/purple colors and fixed the texel density on my UV maps.

tumblr_md9fas7ADf1ricnv1o1_1280.png
  • agarcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tumblr_mdgtskyNPN1ricnv1o1_1280.png
    tumblr_mdgtskyNPN1ricnv1o2_1280.png
    tumblr_mdgtskyNPN1ricnv1o3_1280.png

Here's an update on the scene. Worked on the walls and added tileable floors on the sides. Critiques and feedback are welcome.
  • agarcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tumblr_me15lpOz2i1ricnv1o1_1280.png
    tumblr_me15lpOz2i1ricnv1o2_1280.png
    tumblr_me15lpOz2i1ricnv1o3_1280.png
    tumblr_me15lpOz2i1ricnv1o4_1280.png

Added more pieces and slightly changed the look of the hallway concept.

-The pipes are now thinner with a different header pipe, removed the curve headers. There’s now a bar or border on the sides of the floor that’s for the pipes with an updated mesh on the caps at the end of each pipe.

-The middle/hall floor will be a grid-type plate to see through what’s under. Under the hallway will have rocks, ground, and some pipes with curve headers that lead passed the gate. The mesh is high poly at the moment, I’ll eventually make a low-poly version of it.

-Added a bit of dirt on the side floor planes and on the walls.

-Created the gate at the end, mostly used nDo2 and Photoshop.

Critiques and feedback are welcome
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    The edge scratch damage on the crate seem a little in your face compared to the rest of the contrast, i'd tone down the edge damage and let the specular do the work for you.
  • agarcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tumblr_meg2w7x6HP1ricnv1o1_1280.png
    tumblr_meg2w7x6HP1ricnv1o2_1280.png
    tumblr_meg2w7x6HP1ricnv1o3_r1_1280.png
    tumblr_meg2w7x6HP1ricnv1o4_1280.png

Thanks Fwap for the critique. I toned down the scratches around the edges a bit, less intense as the previous one. Small update, I adjusted the gate a bit and added a red glow around the gate, to make it as if it's locked. I may change the look of it. Added a texture for the back wall and reused some assets. Added a lower poly version of the grid floor with flat solid colors at the moment. I'll be working on the textures for that next.
  • agarcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tumblr_mespabwnWP1ricnv1o1_1280.png
    tumblr_mespabwnWP1ricnv1o1_1280.png
    tumblr_mespabwnWP1ricnv1o3_1280.png

Small update, mainly on the wall around the gate.
    Went back and adjusted the gate and the look of the wall. As a self critique, it didn’t seem like it was going in the right direction.

-Took out the red glow around the gate.
    -I’ll most likely have a red glow or any indication that the gate is locked through a separate mesh on the side of the gate or around it.
    -For the wall, added additional meshes on each side of the gate, with a similar look of the gate, and added a light piece above the gate, using the small light post and extending it.

The next piece is the bar on the ceiling that connects to the columns, and then eventually the ceiling. Just a note, for the grid floor, I’ll also be adding columns or posts under it, mainly in the middle of each edge to support any weight.

Feedback and CC's are welcome
    -Anthony
  • agarcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tumblr_mft2ar8ptw1ricnv1o1_1280.png
    tumblr_mft2ar8ptw1ricnv1o2_1280.png
    tumblr_mft2ar8ptw1ricnv1o4_1280.png
    tumblr_mft2ar8ptw1ricnv1o3_1280.png

Haven't posted in the thread in a while so here's a quick update on the scene.
    Modeled in all of the pieces for the hallway inside.
    Currently working on the rocks and tunnel. The rocks in the scene are place holders for now.
    Once the rocks/ground are done, I'll be working on the lighting for the scene.

Critiques and feedback are welcome.
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Right now you have very little material definition on your metals. Make specular maps for these assets if you haven't already, and get a subtle cube map in there as well. Also play with the gloss, either with its own texture or through the material editor.

With the door I thought that it was a paintover and not the actual texture because it looks very sloppy/hastily done. It looks like a quick digital paintover was just applied as the texture. Definitely needs work.

Are you using normal maps on your floor and other assets? Everything is looking super flat at the moment.
  • agarcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback darbeenbo.
    Most of them do have spec maps, and some are using the blue channel on the diffuse maps, but I haven't added a cube map or worked on the gloss effect. I'll definitely do more further touch ups on the look of the door.

Yeah, there are normal maps on the floor pieces and the rest of the meshes. It may be my lighting at the moment, but I'll check on normals being applied.
  • agarcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tumblr_mhbbi1i9bM1ricnv1o1_1280.png
    tumblr_mhbbi1i9bM1ricnv1o2_1280.png
    tumblr_mhbbi1i9bM1ricnv1o3_1280.png
    tumblr_mhbbi1i9bM1ricnv1o4_1280.png
    tumblr_mhbbi1i9bM1ricnv1o5_1280.png
    tumblr_mhbbi1i9bM1ricnv1o6_1280.png
    tumblr_mhbbi1i9bM1ricnv1o7_r1_1280.png
    tumblr_mhbbi1i9bM1ricnv1o8_r1_1280.png

Hey everyone,
    Here's an update on the scene. Had some time to work on it through the hangouts.
    Cleaned up the texture on the gate. Adjusted the lighting, some specularity, and a light cube map. Created some rock and ground meshes for the tunnel. Doing some final work on the scene, but critiques are always welcome.

-Anthony