Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New portfolio (Character artist)

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
brwnbread polycounter lvl 13
Hey, I'v just completed my portfolio, so I just wanted to show it off and get some feedback on the art and site layout.. and the about bit ¬_¬

itsjustrevenge.com

Replies

• ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Very nice. I admit that the left focused menu baffled me for a bit -- I didn't notice it there all greyed out like the color of the background. It might just be me though, but I almost gave up.

The ecorche and anatomy studies are great. Did you take Scott Eatons class or are those on your own? The male figure has a problem with his right shoulder, and the females arms are too large by about 20% I think, but that's just my opinion, still learning anatomy myself so please take that with a grain of salt.

There isn't a lot of realtime 3d content, but that's better than a lot of crappy content so I guess just work on filling up the space. Your crazy hobo guy sure makes up for this, you took forever getting him done but time well spent, he turned out great. Those shoes are perfect.

Anyways, good work.
  • jfeez
    Offline / Send Message
    jfeez polycounter lvl 8
    Good point about the menu, i saw his portfolio as it was being made so i only noticed when you pointed it out. I'm a massive fan of the minimalist style and i enjoy all the art in there. I wouldn't mind seeing a character with some hard surface stuff/another realtime character. I would make the homepage image of the guy a link to his page as well
  • Kot_Leopold
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    Hmm, is it just me or is there no "About" page? It's good to include a resume on your portfolio too, unless you want it to be on LinkedIn exclusively.
    Also, not sure I get the title of the website. Revenge for what?

Edit: Never mind, I found the about page. This is how it shows up on my laptop with 1366x768 resolution:

2h49a1j.jpg

I suggest you move it up. I've looked at hundreds of portfolios and never had a problem with locating "about me" section.
  • Dylan Brady
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Nice man, and The work is amazing! yeah is that Ecorche from Scott Eatons Class, or Ryan Kingsliens? or someone else maybe hehe.

again I love the folio reminds me a bit of mine, except the sidebar which solves the major issue of my folio (see. endless scrolling)
    Just a heads up. I viewed this on a nexus 7 tablet and things went crazy when I tried to zoom in. all the dynamic elements overlapped each other and whatnot. probably not worth taking into consideration as its very unlikely an employer will view it on anything but a computer but I thought I'd bring it up.

That torso with the different poses is amazing! really want to do a study like that myself sometime.
  • brwnbread
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks for the input!

The ecorche is my own research that I did before the other figure sculptures.

The full body figure sculpture of the woman is from a photo I found on the internet. The other figure sculptures are from Scott Eaton's digital figure sculpture course (its such a dope course lol!! definitely recommend it. Make sure you know the muscles before you start though, he doesn't go in-depth into them because he assumes a lot of his students has done his separate anatomy course)

I have juggled shit around with the about button, made the menu more opaque at default, given the menu a background so everything should slide under the menu if you zoom in (hopefully?) AND made the index page picture link to its project page.

I have no idea why, but since I changed a few things, the 2 character pages are suddenly not aligned in the middle? The code that should effect this is exactly the same as the other pages and they work fine...

also, ysalex, thanks for the crit man, I will go back to them after I finished the other assignments and I'll take your crit into account then. I think you are correct about the females arms, I think the head might be too small aswell. But atm, I just wana move on to new stuff haha :D

I dunno about the website name either, its my username on everything else. brwnbread is older, but I didnt bother to make a new account on here. Its from a quote from afro samurai btw
  • SoulWind
    Offline / Send Message
    SoulWind polycounter lvl 11
    Your hobo guy looks awesome, and as Jfeez said, the minimalist layout of your site is pleasant! I look forward to seeing more character work, and more real time stuff! Keep up the good work.
    As a suggestion, I would perhaps try a female character next, or an animal!
  • brwnbread
    Offline / Send Message
    SoulWind wrote: »
    Your hobo guy looks awesome, and as Jfeez said, the minimalist layout of your site is pleasant! I look forward to seeing more character work, and more real time stuff! Keep up the good work.
    As a suggestion, I would perhaps try a female character next, or an animal!

thank you, soulwind

like jfeez wouldn't mind seeing, I was planning to do a hard surface character as my next low poly thing. I'm gna learn some horse anatomy in the meantime though
  • brwnbread
    Offline / Send Message
    After looking through some job ads, I see sometimes its good to be into photography. I am, so I thought I would add a few too my portfolio.

I think by now though, the menu would only really fit on a 1080p screen :/

http://itsjustrevenge.com/photography.shtml
  • Giles_P
    I think your work is strong, particularly the shark Bruce from Finding Nemo. Its a poor layout though, dont get the bar on the left, I think you should be able to see all your work on one page so employers can just scroll down. Then have a separate page for your resume/contact.etc. I would go as far as saying you should do more work like the shark, really nice style to it. Don't understand why you need photos, unless your a photography student? just no need for them.
  • SoulWind
    Offline / Send Message
    SoulWind polycounter lvl 11
    I like thumbnail links, as long as there aren't too many. Although I've never had to review dozens of portfolios at a time, so one long scrolling page might be preferable, who knows.

Since I last checked your site has developed scroll bars, is that something you can fix?

brwnbread_scrollbar_zps520d9c6a.jpg
  • mr_ace
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    hey, good to see some more teesside graduates on here!

your work looks good, and your website definately does the job it needs to, my only issue is that you only have one finished character, and that one is a little strange. the whole old man with his pants stuffed with money is a bit unusual, so that might work against you a little, so maybe try and focus your next character on something a bit more conventional

i like your anatomy stuff, and those animated gifs of the moving arms is cool, that's definately in your favour. good luck out there!
  • brwnbread
    Offline / Send Message
    amile duan: thanks!

mr_ace: haha yeah, It sucks I don't have anymore characters, I hope its enough, but I wont stop making stuff while I 'm looking for a job anyway

SoulWind: Ah, I didn't sort it out for firefox... I think everything should work now

Giles_P: thanks for the compliments and crit. The bar is a menu, and I think I have too many pictures for a single page. Because I don't want the browser to try load everything at once and then lag while you scroll. I also don't think it would make a major difference on how someone perceives my work overall? I have seen many folios with both styles and they all seem acceptable styles to me.

With the photos section, I wasn't sure myself if I should have included them. I wasn't going to, but a studio I plan to apply to say that having photography skills (amongst other things) are ideal. I have cut it down to 4 photos though, as an attempt to say: "I am intereted in photography and have dabbled, but its not my career choice, though I think it helps my overall art ability and says a lot and helps with my personal tastes and style." lol. And also to keep it from looking like a big bulk of my portfolio.
  • SA_22
    looking gd dude!

for the photo thing why not just throw a Flickr button or whatever u use and alil line in your bio about photography

how was scott's class?.. been seeing alot nice work come out of it!
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Great stuff. Really like your anatomy studies. I'm sure it won't be long before you score a job. Only thing I woul say is that it would be good to have at least one more finished character in a different style.
  • brwnbread
    Offline / Send Message
    SA_22 wrote: »
    looking gd dude!

for the photo thing why not just throw a Flickr button or whatever u use and alil line in your bio about photography

how was scott's class?.. been seeing alot nice work come out of it!

haha, yeah, I think I'll do that.. didn't think of that. Or maybe ill link to the page from teh about section.

thanks fomori
  • brwnbread
    Offline / Send Message
    I uploaded stuff to a flickr account, and put the link in about... so apart from getting more art up, I think I am done with this?

Thanks for helpin me tweak it guys. If there is anythin else, say, I guess it will be constantly tweaked till I get a job anyway, knowing me. lol