Home Technical Talk

Decal shapes and colours customization

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
It's an interesting topic I think, not one that I've thought about before and I was wondering if any of you guys had done anything like this before.

I'm talking about things like having different painted patterns with different paint jobs on characters or vehicles. Custom decals with variations etc.

Examples would be lets say, the emblem on the shoulders in Halo, or the tattoos in Rockband. Even Need for speed underground for decals on cars.

How is this sort of thing implemented into a game and what is it the artist would have to create? What kind of pipelines have people gone through to actually achieve this feature? I know swapping out models for different hair and different parts are easy enough, it's just custom paint jobs on models with custom colours I can't think of a way to do. I did a quick internet search but I didn't get many results, mostly because I wouldn't know what to look for. xD

What are your thoughts? How have you guys done all this (if you have)?

Replies

• Shudrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shudrum polycounter lvl 6
    A developper can create a diffuse with many others diffuses map.

With this method, you can create multiples diffuses maps like layers for photoshop.

So in-game script can add them with parameters (manipulating colors, scale, rotation) the limit is only the imagination.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    decals are simple, placement either in uv space of by some kind of geometry which is interpreted by the tools/converter as decal placement.

team colours / paint colours are often done with tinting either on a per mesh basis or with some masks - I believe if you dig around for starcraft 2 modding stuff there will be infos on tinting. (maybe for LOL and dota2 as well, not sure)
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    vertex colors for one-colored decals that use extra geo on top of the actual mesh work quite nicely.