Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

T-65 X Wing

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
DannSw polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys, haven't posted in a while! Here's what I've been working on. This is my first vehicle, coming from a character art background, so any critique would be greatly appreciated. I may spend a bit more time on the texture, but I'm itching to get back to character art. Made in Maya and Texture base created in dDo.

qriI2.jpg

KQJiq.jpg

8473r.jpg

eKBUC.jpg

dInbr.jpg

82LVu.jpg

Replies

• Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    Great job! a little overboard with the dDo leaks imo. would be nice to see a reflection map on the metal areas showing and hiding between dirt and what not. Would look awesome with that!

The red is a little desaturated, its more of a pink instead of red, especially with those pink boosters near the red parts.

Sweet model! Lets see the HP?
  • DannSw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man, I'll have another bash at the texture work in the next few days, I think! Here are a few shots of the HP, I'll upload some flats tomorrow.

NIknY.jpg

JRqi0.jpg
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
    First of all great job! But... Holy rusty x-wing batman! You might want to tone down that grim and concentrate it in more sensible areas. Also, the main paint coating is white... looks like a nice rich gray right now. I agree with the red comment. For the low renders; brighten them up a bit and make your main light stronger, (your lighting is too even, makes for a non-dramatic/ less interesting render) With your high, really brighten up the render, put a lighter shade of gray on it if need be, kick up the spec, lower the gloss. Its hard to make out all those nice details you put in there. Anyhow awesome x-wing dude!
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    ah this brings back memories. your low poly surely has more polygons than the high poly xwing i did in '95 :P

personally i like it dirty and desaturated, but if you wanna capture the movie's style, yeah you gotta do what the previous guys said. great model dude!
  • DannSw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. I did have a quick shot at making it look like it did in the movies, but it seemed to me that it actually started to look like a model kit/toy X-Wing rather than a believable spacecraft. Nonetheless, I'll definitely have another go at the textures to incorporate the critique. Here's some flats.

4bQ4g.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The modeling looks pretty solid. I think you went a little overboard on the paneling, its messing with the iconic red stripe a little too much. Normally when the stripe is broken up its because of wear not because of paneling breaks. The nose of the xwings in most depictions are pretty smooth.
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    I think your polycount is quite high compared to the details visible in your model. I don't want to argue if 60.000 tris is too much for such model. As it always this depends on how it would be used.
    My very first impression was that the model was about maybe 12.000 tris
    Especially the shots showing the backside are lacking geometry details on the engines to justify such a high polycount. Many of your cylinders have too much sides considering their size. Those ressources could be used on other areas that are lacking detail.

I would suggest to focus on some areas of interest e.g. the engines and pump up the visual detail (geometry) at those spots. In this special case of an x-wing this makes even more sense as those engines are right in the face of a player piloting the spacecraft in 3rd person.

I think rising the details an engines can be difficult because the surface is cluttered with pipes, cables and techy stuff that will cost loads of polygons. But I guess you could represent some of those pipes and cables on the engines in your model to give the surface of the engines more depth and to support the texture details underneath / between those engine details represented with geometry.

Just my 2 cents..
  • Tom_the_Mighty
    Neat! Now go make a new X-Wing game! One thing I will say though is that the Artoo unit seems to be a lot cleaner than the rest of the vehicle. Maybe dirty him up a bit? Great job with everything else!
  • DannSw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Mark, I'll definitely work in the red stripe when I work on the texture again.

Slave_zero, you raise a very good point. I was completely unsure of what to aim for in terms of poly count. I'll admit that a lot of the poly count goes toward geometric details on the rear, the amount of cylinders used and details such as underneath the wings and the top deflector shield panel, though a lot of those details would have looked really odd if they were just normal mapped in. I'm still trying to get to grips with getting this nailed down.

Thanks Tom! I actually made the R2 unit to look pretty squeaky clean on purpose, I quite liked the idea of the X-Wing being beaten and Dagobah/mud ridden, and R2 being well looked after and maintainted in contrast : D
  • DannSw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent a bit of time improving the textures, thanks for the feedback guys. Need to spend a bit of time in Marmoset setting up some nice lighting for beauty shots. Lighting has never been a strong point of mine but I'm sure I can get something semi effective if I spent a little bit more time on it :)

WWtFl.jpg

sBhZh.jpg