Home Unreal Engine

Best maya viewport shader to represent UDK

deolol
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
deolol polycounter lvl 6
Hi guys, im trying to make a modular environment but wondering if theres a good shader to test on in Maya so that i know if the material and normal is working correctly before i go into udk. Thanks!

Replies

• James Ordner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know much about Maya, but it works fine just to import everything in to UDK and see how it actually looks in-engine, then tweak it in Photoshop/Maya/etc.
  • System
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    or the uber shader in '13s newest service pack
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    ya not going to find any shader for maya that displays normalmaps like UDK displays them, since the maya's viewports tangent space, is not the same as UDK's
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    UDK standard material can be very easily recreated in Maya, just take a look at their UDN and CustomMaterial page, you will see they're using a basic Lambert term with a Phong additive for Specular.

Transmission is also written there, which is a simple Lerp outside of your diffuse.

Emissive generally speaking, is a simple Add/Lerp ontop of your terms, or stuck in your Ambient.

Opacity is the Alpha in your shader, AlphaTested in UDK's case.

For more complex stuff like Cubemap, Fresnel, etc, you decide what goes where.

For Normal Maps, as Passer mentioned, it going to take some engine and synching code muscle to get it 1:1, but since UDK (static mesh atleast) is synched to XN, that should get you started, for non-static mesh, you need to use old UDK Normal code (which was synched to the old broken tangent of Max, but even that isn't valid anymore).

Please note that I don't mean the swizzle of the channels, (invert G, etc) I mean the math which tells how a Normal map is baked and how to display it.

You can use HandPlane, since that will solve all the intermediate issues, just bake it out from Maya Local, and use it to convert to other things like UE3 or Maya Tangent for you shader preview.

On the other hand, if you're asking for a 1:1 shader already made on the internet that you could use, I don't think there is, as Chris said, just use one of them Uber-Shaders and call it a day.