Home Technical Talk

(3DS Max 2012) Rendeing animations as .mov

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Weirdboy polycounter lvl 5
I have a project due at the end of the week that requires me to render an animation as a .mov file format. However this file format does not show up on the save as menu in the render panel. Shows up on the school computers just fine though...

Is there a script I need to download or something? I just updated QuickTime thinking that might have something to do with it, but still nothing. I'm also supposed to be able to access compression settings, but I'm not seeing that either, is that menu unique to .mov files?

Also, since I've taken an interest in animation, what would you guys say are the best settings to use for animation rendering?

Ev6Hg.jpg

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    MOV format is only available in 3ds Max 2012 - 32 bit. Max 2013 has a 64 bit plugin for MOV.

I'm not sure what you mean by best settings. When I'm sending my reel out it will be in this format.

720p - MOV format - h264 compression - 2200 Kbps - 30 fps

For most people a YouTube link will suffice. But other animators a will want QuickTime file because you can frame by frame without artifacts.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
  • Z3R0X
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, another post that's old that i may have some insight on... Rather than render to video formats in Max, due to countless wasted hours of rendering to come to a final result of total fail, i switched to rendering to image sequences. Preferably png. It's so much quicker than converting to video formats from max. After that i just put them together in AE and render it there. It's very fast compared to max. Another thing i like to do to reduce file size even further, i run the outputted video file in Camtasia studio, converting it to an mp4. So i can turn my 15GB image sequence to a 5GB avi and convert it to a 250MB mp4 without losing much (if any) quality. Works the same way for mov format.