Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Concept Art Help

Hello, I'm the US Claire Force. I'm a fledgling art student looking to go into either concept art or environment design for games, and I need some advice/criticism regarding a concept piece of mine. Specifically, I'd like to know how understandable the concept is and if there is any way I could improve on the design. Also advice on digital painting tecniques regarding the piece- but basically anything would be muchly appreciated.

needlesword.jpg

Replies

• Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    The concept definitely took me awhile to understand. I understand it now, but there are several things that don't seem very practical about it. The reload method for example, you're going to be manually sticking in these double-ended needles? The uh...potential for self injury there seems pretty high.

The design of the weapon as a whole seems odd. It looks to be a single hand firearm, but also looks very large to hold with one hand. Doesn't look like you could stabilize with another hand (for aim or simple ease of holding), because the edges top and bottom look to be...blades? Again I imagine this to pose problems when attempting to reload (holding the weapon at an odd angle, trying to avoid blades, while sticking large needles into these 3 holes) and during general usage.

If it's supposed to be a melee weapon/firearm mix, that explains the blades but all the aforementioned still sticks out to me.

From a presentation standpoint, I think the reload sequence is done best. Clean lines, pretty easy to read (might have been easier if more of the weapon was shown). I imagine the painted views of the weapons took you longer, but to what benefit? I think doing the entire weapon with clean linework, and then adding a basic color scheme would help with readability and presentation quality.

As a minor note, your signature in the top right corner was the first thing that I noticed. The wobblyness of it made me think instantly that you'd signed it with your tablet, and it stands out. If you want to put a signature on your stuff, I recommend getting a nice smooth one or simply scanning one in so that it doesn't look so odd.

tl;dr - Weapon is readable, but a litle odd. I think the reload sequence is the most readable from an art standpoint, and would recommend pursuing that method of presentation more generally in the future (at least as a starting point).

:)
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    My personal opinion is that you shouldn't let your current skill effect your decision at this point. You are at the very beginning so pick the one you enjoy the most. I don't know much about environment design but I can suggest some things to check out for concept art. Feng zhu design school on you tube is great. Also look into taking some industrial design classes if you're interested in concept art.

Good luck! I hope that this helps a bit.