Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WoW asset recreation

jhines142
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
jhines142 polycounter lvl 10
hey guys and gals,

I am working on a few assets to recreate Blizzards style and feel. Let me know what you all think. First up is the Dagger of Lunar Purity:

Wip_01.jpg

Replies

• Plyomet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,

To start, I'm a complete noob so am in no position to critique. It looks good, I can definitely see it being in WoW. Fits the world.

May or may not be a concern to you, but are you trying to stay close to poly limits from WoW, or just having some fun in that regard?

Also, as someone that is currently getting in to modelling, do you mind if I ask about your workflow? I know ages ago the fashion was to extrude a single cube until it fit what you wanted, but your weapon has a lot of flow and curves. How did you go about getting this? (sorry for attempting to derail your thread)
  • Johan3043
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good man, feels wow'ish. The only thing is that plyomet stated above, are you targeting for WoW's poly count also this is way to many polys.
  • jhines142
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Plyomet: acutally I start with a plane the extrude edges as i go. I also use primitives as well to get the basic shape.

Johan3043: The pic is with smoothing groups on and subdivided. I wanted to see how people would react to a smoothed wow piece. but i think ill reduce the ammount of polys drastically for the finished piece.
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    You are not supposed to use subdivisions as smoothing tool there are smoothing groups for that kind of things.
  • jhines142
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats whatr I ment to say.
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
  • jhines142
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a little better, hopefully. I do have a question however. Why are game assets in tri's and not polygons?

WIP_02.jpg
  • jhines142
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And this one with the original WoW texture applied.

Please Note: The texture used in this image is the property of BLizzard Entertainment. The use of this texture was used as and only as an example.

WIP_03.jpg
  • Greg Westphal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg Westphal polycounter lvl 9
    You only ever render triangles, even when your stuff is in quads its rendering as triangles. If you're looking at creating wow assets I would datamine the expac you're looking at doing it for and see what they did. Honestly its really really high tri's for quads still, also don't be afraid of using tris for something like this. When you're not animating it and you're hand painting the texture triangles don't really mess up anything