Home General Discussion

Networking, how much does it come into play?

valuemeal
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
Exactly how integral is networking to the job acquisition process? Is it more valuable than actual skill itself? I was at a networking event not to long ago and a couple of professionals were having a heated debate on the matter; one argued that there are too many applications that lost daily and that one has an easier time getting in if they already know a couple of folks there. Another professional made a case stating that a solid reel was the way to go and that one with quality work will get recognized sooner or later.

What are your sentiments on this polycounters?

Also is it better to call in and ask about the status of one's application or wait for employers to call you? The second option rarely seems to bare fruit, I actually acquired my first position by calling in constantly though.

Replies

• Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't think of another industry where networking is as important as it is in this one. It's such a small industry in the "everyone knows everyone" kind of way. That's not to say it's more important than skill, as you won't be recommended if you aren't qualified for the job, but it's still damn important.

I landed the job I have now with the help of some artists I knew through Polycount, and I know countless other people who could say the same. A buddy of mine was recently laid off, and the same day was already hearing of other opportunities from his contacts in the industry, so that kind of gives you an idea of how helpful it can be.

As for calling a studio about your application, if you had submitted an art test, or had otherwise been in contact with them before, it's perfectly acceptable to call them after a week or so to check up. If you simply filled out an application on their website, then calling them about it USUALLY won't do much good.
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also if I may ask, is it easier to network online than in person? I always seem to have trouble online, whether it's mispronounced words or difference of opinions, I always seem to have scuffles with people with difference of opinions. In irl my personality seems supposedly "shine", but it seems hard to keep up with folks just via email.

Inversely can saying a few rude things online sully one's repuation in the real world? Years ago there was once a person named snapesnogger who produced excellent work, but people seem to gang up on her and she lashed out a couple of times; that earned her a spot on some horrible dramatica site. Are online users more prone to forget or what?
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    I can't think of another industry where networking is as important as it is in this one.

Quoted for truth. Every full time job I've had, every serious lead I've had, every contract job I've had, has all been through people I know.

As far as what you said about getting into scuffles online, just don't be a douche. Simple as that. Treat people the way you want to be treated.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    It's one of the most important things in this industry, IMO.

Prime example, I just got laid off late Monday evening. Several friends had tweeted, facebooked or podcasted my departure and by midnight, I already had 5 big name studios show interest in hiring me. This would NEVER happen without networking. One person makes a spark and that flame fans out across the entire network. I have soo many more choices this time around, versus last time I was unemployed. It's fantastic to know soo many great people.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    one of hte most important thigns in "ANY" industry, but especially in all the different media industries including games art.
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It just seems rather impossible on the web, it seems as though wherever I go something bad happens or I try to express the reason I am doing what I am doing and people go into a frenzy and that is no good.
  • Mrskullface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sometimes it's better than actual artistic skills.
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    I think everywhere it goes professional - the world
    seems rather small. Good contacts are the goal for each industry.
    Think that the Gamesindustry has more a friends/family touch then others
    and there might be the right contacts not bad.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    you still need a decent reel in the first place. Networking is just a door opener. I never had to network to get a job though but most studios will still like to look at your work. But at least you might bypass some HR drones.
    sometimes it's better than actual artistic skills.

Seen that. And I think it reflects badly on the studio. Even if the network-hire is a good guy it still feels wrong if you're someone who went thru the regular process.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Kwramm wrote:
    But at least you might bypass some HR drones
    This. Networking's not going to replace the need for a reel/portfolio/expertise; it augments that, and it can help open doors. Ultimately, it's simply another [powerful] tool in the arsenal.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Polycount is pretty much my sole networking resource, it's worked out great so far!
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Landed my first gig through a Quakeworld Clanmate
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Kwramm wrote: »
    you still need a decent reel in the first place. Networking is just a door opener. I never had to network to get a job though but most studios will still like to look at your work. But at least you might bypass some HR drones.

This!

Networking might make things easier but it doesn't rule out people who are not insiders. Pretty much all of the jobs I got was by applying directly, without any referrals.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most jobs are landed via knowing someone who works at that studio. Blind hiring because a resume arrived in the HR inbox is fairly rare in my experience. Get to know people! :) Even a casual connection like, "Oh, hey, I know this guy, he's on Polycount..." is extremely helpful.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    All the jobs I've got I've got through applying and doing an art test.
    I've had people shove my work into the face of their HRs and art directors and tell em good things yet it never worked once.

Go figure.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, obviously applying works. That's why people do it. :) But my experience has been that personal recommendations from someone on the inside yields far better results. On average...
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I have interviewed people for work, where i have recognized their work from Polycount, and that is always a big plus.

Also... i got my first job from a friend from college. So its a really useful tool. Specially when you want to stand out from the rest of the artists that are competing for the same position. If someone vouches for them then they have better chances to get a call back.

But at the end of the day, a good portfolio is what seals the deal.
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How does one go about meeting people on this site?
    Back in the day you could go about talking casually on IM, but the barriers of facebook and the like seem to prevent it in this era.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Post work regularly.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    networking helped me get a test and later come in for an interview for a job opening that was not made public at the time (it was only for game testing as I am still new and trying to get first job in the industry) but yea, if i didn't know the individual there i would never of gotten the opportunity
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    valuemeal wrote: »
    Back in the day you could go about talking casually on IM, but the barriers of facebook and the like seem to prevent it in this era.

Post work, send PMs, etc.

I didn't break into the industry with any networking - I did that strictly on the merits of my portfolio at the time, but my current job I got on another online forum. I was arguing with someone about something related to game development and then he made another post about how Ready At Dawn was hiring. I PMed him, he passed my resume and portfolio along and asked me if I was interested in moving into Production, as my current skillset and lead experience would make me a good fit. I had been wanting to move out of prop art for a while to get more of a bigger picture or multidisciplinary view of game development.

A handful of interviews later and I landed the job, and hopefully some of the polycounters here that I work with don't have too many terrible things to say about me :)

I know at least one polycounter here was recommended on the strength of his work via another polycounter.

It is really important to be visible in this community and demonstrate growth - it's OK to post terrible art, so long as you eventually grow and stop posting terrible art. Just by posting threads you'll be creating a presence that will help you when it comes time.

When I started my games career at Volition it was pretty eye-opening to see how many folks had polycount accounts, even though most of them lurked.

Something a lot of mediocre people will assume is that networking is a replacement for demonstrating skills, but it's been my experience that the only way to develop a leveragable network is actually to demonstrate skills and teach others as well. If you are kick ass people will want to help you succeed, and those people will become your network.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Ghostscape wrote: »
    Post work, send PMs, etc.

this!

valuemeal
    Polycount is a very tight know community compared to other ones, with extremely helpful people.
    While I don't help anyone to bypass our HR, I do give information freely to people who PM me about how to get into the industry, working as a tech-artist and working in China. I'm sure other polycounters are just as helpful as long as you're not trying to be obnoxious and annoying with requests ;)
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    Ah, yes, then there's the dark side of networking called nepotism. Seen a lot of that too. :)
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    valuemeal wrote: »

Also, go to GDC and Polycount meet-ups. If you ever see a thread of "Is anyone going to..." then that's a good opportunity to meet some people.

Post a lot and work hard on your stuff and you'll occasionally get the "Oh yeah, I remember that project, it was cool!"