Home General Discussion

Can you tell if I used cry engine without a doubt?

What do you guys think the odds are that someone would be able to tell 100% without a doubt that I'm using cryengine if I just went ahead and put a video on kickstarter anyway without a license?

A few things to me that give it away are- the standard ocean, default sky, and the fog.
If I change all these however now were getting into something that is not necessarily unique. (Also I will have 100% custom assets).

The deferred realtime gi and all the new graphical capabilities are in other engines as well, for example unigine, lumion, etc.

Crytek did say they will make an effort to get a kickstarter taken down if you don't have a license, but I just don't see how they can tell for a fact.

I have no other choice, light baking in udk is a nightmare, Lumion is expensive, unigine is very expensive, and furryball / vray realtime gpu renderers are no comparison to completely realtime like cryengine to make a trailer.

Replies

• Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Just present your art and don't focus on the tech until you get that situated imo.

If it's going to get kickstarted it most likely won't be because of the engine it's on.
  • Jedi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedi polycounter lvl 12
    Dont do this. Remember that you're not anonymous online. Everything you do is being tracked and they will be able to get this information.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, it's very likely it will be obvious.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    You realize there are Crytek employees on this forum, right?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    First you don't even say what you're doing in your KS, is it a game? Movie? Comic book? Cure to 3 types of cancer and a cure to male baldness?

Secondly, since you're not even taking money as 'donations', you're literally promising to start a project, with money involved in a consumer/producer stance, hence why you require a license in the first place, not to mention you can't do much without source-code in most engines.

And you make a topic, asking how to avoid this? And IF Cryteck will see through the video or not?

Unless you plan on using the CE engine as purely a cinematic trailer renderer (in which 0 money is involved) then this is a pretty fucking douchey thing to do, not to mention once you do publish the game, I'm pretty sure a person or two will look at the folders and see the structure very much pertain to CE outline.

Light-Baking in UDK is not a nightmare, you're just lazy and don't understand what it's purpose is.
    Lumion and Unigine are expensive because they cater to the higher market standard, last I checked, they aren't used by game-dev's on a budget.
    The last two are real-time renderers based on offline render engines, they create iterative passes.

I'm failing to see why you can't simply render them in your traditional app and call it a day?

Lastly, there are plenty of folks who work at Cryteck on these forums, so kudos on doing your research.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    OMG are you serious? haha...
  • KarlWrang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah, seems like a pretty bad idea. If someone actually wants to know, they'll probably find out pretty quickly.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Indeed it is very likely it will be obvious, especially if you are using any of the default settings.

But if you are just showing off art as a "here is some example art being created" Then it shouldn't be a problem I guess. If your trying to show it as "here is my game running in an engine" then maybe? But if it is just showcasing the art in a run time solution I dont see why that would be a problem/why Crytek would/should be allowed to try and take it down.
  • MySecretOtherAccount
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Unless you plan on using the CE engine as purely a cinematic trailer renderer (in which 0 money is involved)

Exactly this, I will only be using CE for a cinematic trailer for my game which I have been modeling & animating for like 3 years now. But with kickstarter, money is involved to them. So even with this, its not 0.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    not completely on topic here, but shouldn't crytek only require money from you if the kickstarter is successfully funded? I'm no lawyer or anything, But i imagine one should be able to use kickstarter funds to buy any appropriate licenses, especially for programs that have a free non-commercial license you could be using for the initial pitch quite legally...

obviously if you were to get funded and publish a project without paying for licenses that's an entirely different story
  • gsokol
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    You realize there are Crytek employees on this forum, right?

Shhhhh!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Exactly this, I will only be using CE for a cinematic trailer for my game which I have been modeling & animating for like 3 years now. But with kickstarter, money is involved to them. So even with this, its not 0.

just show off your actual game, fancy BS cinematics are for big studios.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Dude, email crytek and ask whether you're permitted to use it in this context (a pitch video) without a paid license. If so, you're fine, if not, work out another solution so you dont get sued/blacklisted/guilty feelings for being an asshole.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    This is like asking how a record company is going to know if you've pirated music they hold the rights to. Even if there's no hard proof initially, you'd be fucking stupid to try something like this.

It boils down to this: If you want to put something up on Kickstarter and you're afraid you may run into legal trouble, then it's not something you should be putting on Kickstarter.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13

Why wouldn't you use your actual game engine/assets?

Why are you sticking it in an illegally licensed engine instead of using your actual game?

Why do you not understand that even if you initially snuck it through somehow, you'd have an eventual lawsuit that would take all of your kickstarter money?
  • ZASkaggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is the plan to raise enough money via Kickstarter to purchase a license for CE?

If so I'd rethink that pitch. Unless you've got a world-beater there's almost no way you'd be able to raise a sufficient amount of money.

Consider moving to UDK or Unity.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    if you wont use UDK cause you are too lazy to learn how to bake lights, then you are screwed anyways.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Its really easy to tell when something is made with UDK or Cryengine, not sure why
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That would be interesting ... take screenshots from each engine, remove all HUD and editor elements and see if people can guess. Aside from the obvious real time lighting vs baked, I wonder how clear it would actually be.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    Same assets, too. Same radius/colour lights in identical places.
  • Ruan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I couldn't possibly comment on whether I think this would be an utterly stupid idea...
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Ruan wrote: »
    I couldn't possibly comment on whether I think this would be an utterly stupid idea...

Haha! :D
    frell wrote: »
    Its really easy to tell when something is made with UDK or Cryengine, not sure why

True, and yeah, it's easy to tell. Especially with UDK for some reason.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    If you know its wrong to do without a license, why do it?... you're going to taint your name along with many others.