Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci fi Girl

Hello :), I've finally decided something to work on in my free time. Everyday I work on hand painted stuff with no normal maps :(. So I decided I wanted to do a project to spice things up and add more variety to my portfolio. I'm hoping for a lot of critique. So here's a concept I did. Some of the things I'm not sure about at the moment are the boots, hair, colors, and maybe finer details like embroideries and such.

ScifiGirlWIP.jpg

Replies

• Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonkahe polycounter lvl 12
    Looking back at some of your previous work, I think this is something I'm going to have my eye on, sub'd
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    the head is too big unless she's supposed to be really young.
  • AustinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks =D, Ya I agree the head is still a little too big. It's funny because I've made it smaller multiple times. Though I'm not sure if it's because of the new hair that makes her look this way. Anyway I'll still shrink it a bit. I'll post again with all the changes people comment on after I get more feedback. If I don't get much I guess I'll move on to the next stage. =D
  • AustinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I got some nice critique from some awesome Co-workers and I reworked quit a few things. I`m pretty happy with how it`s turning out. I`m still thinking of adding some tiny design work.. I don`t really wanna go with the standard honeycomb texture. Also the hair is still up in the air but it`ll probably change at the end anyway. since it`s separate.

Pick a color any color!

Blue_Tan.jpg
    Scifigirl_Colors.jpg
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    I really like the concept! I'm torn between A and C.
  • Jigsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jigsaw polycounter lvl 12
    I like the update, the new design of the boots seem to gel a lot better with her overall design. I prefer the old colour scheme, though.

I think the design is cool in general, but I have a few concerns. First off the jacket seems to blend together with the suit; maybe it will become less of an issue with good material definition to set them apart, but instinctively I feel that it'd be a good idea to give the jacket some different colours, and/or make the shoulders and sleeves less form-fitting. I dunno, there's just something slighly puzzling about its design.

The belt is a little confusing as well. How does it connect around the back? How does it just not fall off as soon as she walks?

Finally, I'm a bit unsure about those open panels on her chest.

All in all I like where you're going with this though, looking forward to future updates.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    That kinda belt has the same appearance on the back like the front.
    Han Solo and a bunch other people wear the same kind of belts too. And personally I like the belt xD
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6851eZqsBZ0/TfKN25d00kI/AAAAAAAAC7Y/Ky_IMn8EYwY/s1600/han-solo.jpg

Like the new boots.
  • bubbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As for Col : i choose B

You might have to fix up the wrist area - it seems that her wrist has restricted movement because of the hard armor pressed on her wrist. Try to replace it with something cloth like - or just have the hard piece end right before the joint of the wrist.
  • Chiyou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiyou polycounter lvl 4
    Nice work, i'd pick B.. The only critique I can think of is I think the chest piece looks a little akward, and the strip that goes down her belly seems a little thin
  • bubbie
  • bubbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my version is less stylized I guess :)
  • AustinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update. I decided to go with her being some kind of futuristic cop/pilot as I'm going to make a vehicle for her as well which I have a quick design for already.

I think I like the face on the left better It's actually the newer face unlike the text leads you to believe. I like the chest piece on the left as well but If I do go with it I wanna somehow make it fit better either with color or flattening the shape because I like the shape of the cutout. I fixed the chest hopefully what you said is fixed. You weren't very clear.

PoliceGirl_01.jpg
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    i like the one on the left much more
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    i liked the original hair much more... kind of reminded me of the fifth element movie

also have you tried her with a more mature face? she kinda looks like a teen at the moment but that might be what you're going for xD
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    I actually liked your early designs more. There's nothing wrong with a young character. It's kind of unique and had a lot of personality to it. :thumbup:
  • Jigsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jigsaw polycounter lvl 12
    PyrZern wrote: »
    That kinda belt has the same appearance on the back like the front.
    Han Solo and a bunch other people wear the same kind of belts too. And personally I like the belt xD
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6851eZqsBZ0/TfKN25d00kI/AAAAAAAAC7Y/Ky_IMn8EYwY/s1600/han-solo.jpg

Han Solo wears a belt around his waist, with a thigh holster hanging off of it (also attached to his leg, presumably to keep it from sliding down). Austin's character is (was!) wearing a gun belt slung over the hips with a strap hanging off it that didn't seem to serve any purpose. I didn't mind the look of it so much as I questioned the physics of it. In any event, it seems to have been addressed now, and I find the new belt much less objectionable. :)

In fact, I like the newest update a lot! The head on the right in the newest picture is my least favourite, but the other one with the long hair looks quite nice. I didn't mind the original one, or bubbie's edit though, seems like you could take it in any number of directions.^^ I vastly prefer the covered up chest, though.
  • Boyd_Lake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the shoulders are a bit narrow in relation to the hips. otherwise, the concept is looking very good
  • AustinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is starting to turn into more of a concept thread than a modeling one lol. Anyway, Here is an update. I was told that she looked very generic and that there was no story behind her. I ended up doing a web brainstorming diagram and figured some things out. Also I decided to draw her posed in a 3 qtr to see what kind of character she was. I did it in a hour so some proportions and stuff is off. It helped a lot. I took the 3 qtr face and enlarged it/ added more detail. Hopefully this will help me with modeling.

I'm gonna start modeling if there isn't too much feedback.

PoliceGirl_04.jpg
  • Callesw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great stuff :)
    Really looking forward to the modelling! Keep at it