Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tiling Texture Question

Hello everyone,

I have a tiling texture question. I'm working on a low-poly floor and it consists of a tiling cobble surface. However, this floor also has a manhole cover. I wanted to see what everyone's opinions were on how to achieve a seamless tiling texture with two unique textures.

Zphob.jpg

As you can see I have a rectangular 1 poly (2 tri) plane. I would like to keep the polycount the same and somehow get my texture to tile correctly. So far I havent been able to figure it out.

OXCJu.jpg

Above is the only solution that I came up with. Basically I divide the floor up into individual polygon squares (in this case 6). Then overlay the UV's for each square on top of its specific texture within the texture map.

This solution isn't ideal, due to increasing the polycount and I would like to see if anyone else has any other ideas. Note: I would like to avoid using alpha billboards to represent the manhole cover.

Replies

• iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Add decal which will pretend to be hole.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Not totally following you but here goes...

Tile your tiling map over the entire surface. Locate the approximate borders of that original texture (one tile square) in the area that you want the manhole cover. Cut this area out.

Duplicate your original tiling texture. Paint a manhole cover in the middle, but stay away from the edges of the image. Leave some cushion for mipping. Apply this texture to those polys. So you'll end up with two materials, and cuts framing off the geometry around the variant area.

You could also do this with some additional UV channels and masking, but it might be more of a pain than it is worth.

Honestly a floating poly plane/decal would be easier, but this cut-in method is an option.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    vertex blending it's good to know
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Model the manhole cover as geometry? Use a projector to make a decal?

I wouldn't use vertex blending for this as it needlessly complicates the shader and isn't very flexible.