Home General Discussion

Have the new consoles already been developed?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Zepic polycounter lvl 11
I was wondering if anybody here is working on a new XBox 720, Playstation 4, Valvestation.... next gen game. I can understand that some of you may be under NDA, so just a yes/no answer would be fine as well. ;)
Seriously though, does anyone know if the new dev kits are out yet?
If yes, does anybody know what they're capable of, hardware/specs etc?

Replies

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    google it. anyone that is working on any of them is sure as hell not allowed to talk about it. but there are plenty of articles about them. purely he said she said.

But yes. they are all in the works already, and lots of studios already are developing them
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    I think you already know that they are being developed on, take the wiiU for example first mentioned a year and a half 2 years ago? But they needed stuff to show for the announcement they also needed companies on board to make games for it, that involves understanding the hardware and what it is capable of and how to get the best out of it. So, for microsoft and sony there in-house studios have probably been working on them for awhile now and same too for third parties i guess, we have also seen jobs advised for 'next-gen' consoles.

Someone was selling the next xbox/durango dev kit on ebay awhile back, so i assume some specs are out i don't know. But as slipsius said you can easily google it all.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Those who know won't tell you.

There are plenty of rumors about the next xbox/playstation out there. Expect a mid to high end pc tweaked to rival the performance of top of the line pc's.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    yeah i'm working on PC games
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    I can't help but wonder how far a RAM boost with more bandwidth would go with today's consoles. It's one of the biggest limiting factors on texture resolution and framebuffer resolution in particular which in the console games I played were the biggest graphical problems. In the case of some open world games I played on the 360, a lot of spare RAM would also be hugely handy for cache, reducing load times.

We've seen with the Wii U so far that cramming more GPU power in there makes no difference if your memory bandwidth isn't good enough to let it put the power down, so that's what I hope to see worked on.
    [small]
    Not that I think we need another generation, but that's a discussion that's been and gone before.[/small]
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    As long as they realize both gamers and devs want raw power to work/play with, not gimmicky hardware having you waving around in the living room! :P
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    You can never have enough waggle.
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild wrote: »
    I can't help but wonder how far a RAM boost with more bandwidth would go with today's consoles. It's one of the biggest limiting factors on texture resolution and framebuffer resolution in particular which in the console games I played were the biggest graphical problems. In the case of some open world games I played on the 360, a lot of spare RAM would also be hugely handy for cache, reducing load times.

We've seen with the Wii U so far that cramming more GPU power in there makes no difference if your memory bandwidth isn't good enough to let it put the power down, so that's what I hope to see worked on.
    [small]
    Not that I think we need another generation, but that's a discussion that's been and gone before.[/small]

I really hate how consoles hamper the quality of their PC counterparts. Most of the time it seems they just take the art assets from the consoles and drop them in their PC engine.
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    I'm not sure how accurate this is... looks like my luggage:

9HpG5ajn3G.jpg
    9HpG5
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Mmm, where did you find that? Are those scans from a magazine? Most likely this is fake, can't trust the interwebs these days.

edit: nvm, it's xboxworld
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I doubt very highly it'd be that bulky, especially without design to hide the bulk. The original PS3 and earlier iPod Touches were rounded specifically to try and camoflage the unavoidable thickness of some of the components in the enclosure. Look at the current gen-360; those smoothly radiused sides hide what is actually a very chunky piece of hardware. The disc drive in the middle of it all only emphasizes this.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    You'll see fan renders all over the place. They've never come close to what the consoles actually looked like. Best bet is to wait for someone in China to get snap happy, but that doesnt happen a hell of a lot with consoles.

Yeh, they're well in to development on new titles for new hardware, especially studios that are tied to the companies I would say, like Rare and Naughty Dog. But at the end of the day its all speculation. Heres hoping for next year release though.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Andreas wrote: »
    especially studios that are tied to the companies I would say, like Rare and Naughty Dog.

I can confirm that I have not seen the new Xbox anywhere in Naughty Dog yet.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe well Naughty Dog wouldn't be affiliated with the Xbox would they. ;)

I have heard that MS have some kind of augmented reality/google glass thingy in the works though, will be interesting to see if SONY have anything similar.

All I know is that Nintendo gimped themselves again by putting a crappy CPU in, so I guess the only games worth playing on it will YET AGAIN be 1st and 2nd party games. Once the next consoles get out the gate, at least. Cannot see multi-platform types comparing well.

I would complain about 8 more years of nothing but Mario/Zelda/Metroid/etc. from Nintendo but who am I kidding, at the first sign of a decent show from those I.P.'s and I'll be buying :/
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Autocon wrote: »
    I can confirm that I have not seen the new Xbox anywhere in Naughty Dog yet.

Well played. :)
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have worked with the PS4 now for some time, and i can tell you this much, the cheeze grater addon is going to change the way you play games.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    [HP] wrote: »
    As long as they realize both gamers and devs want raw power to work/play with, not gimmicky hardware having you waving around in the living room! :P

i'D say devs are more likely to want a box that makes business-sense to develop for. like, with a clear online-strategy, affordable from the get-go and a not totally screwed up submission process.

more RAM would be kinda nice however, sure.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visceral wrote: »
    I have worked with the PS4 now for some time, and i can tell you this much, the cheeze grater addon is going to change the way you play games.

I doubt it's within the confines of the NDA to inform you that the kevlar reinforced kangaroo dirigible installed in the front port surround of Microsoft's home console totally kicks Sony's cheese grater ass.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    JamesWild wrote: »
    I doubt it's within the confines of the NDA to inform you that the kevlar reinforced kangaroo dirigible installed in the front port surround of Microsoft's home console totally kick's Sony's cheese grater ass.

not to mention the new kinect suppository controllers.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    I work with a rock >:(
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    BlvdNights wrote: »

There's no shame in working with current gen :/ most of us do
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights wrote: »

Doing hard time? ;P
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    the Jump Kick Punch podcast made a pretty funny point, The next gen is coming and it's a country music duo: Orbis & Durango!
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Visceral wrote: »

would you say the addon is good or grate?

OP I love how your question begins with "I know you're under NDA [but can you break it anyways]"

Good luck with that bro