Home Technical Talk

Animation help - 3ds max

Hi!

I am trying to create a rig in 3ds max 2013 using bone tools. However, I got a problem with rotating certain limbs. I have created a leg which is built up by Thigh, Calf, Foot, Toe, Toenub, so 5 bones in total. I have then connected the thigh and foot together using IK, and then foot, toe, toenub to create a IK chain.

My problem is when I want to turn/rotate(is the term swivel? I keep forgetting) the knee. It won't let me. When I select the calf, or any part really that is affected by IK in some way, and use the rotate tool the bones doesn't rotate. The parts that aren't connected together with IK rotates fine. Like the clavicle bone which is connected to the upper arm with an FK. When I rotate the clavicle the arm rotates, but when I try to rotate the upper arm bone, which is where I want to rotate the arm from, and where the IK is connected to the hand nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

When I created the rig I used freeze transform when I had the bones set up, before adding any linking other than the default FK that comes when I create the bones. The IK chain in the leg works as intended, with a footcontroller and a footcurl custom attribute added to it.

Hope this makes sense and I have added enough information so you guys understand what my problem is. If not, I can upload the max file.

Thanks!

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Once you apply IK, you can no longer directly transform any object in the IK Chain. To swivel the knee there are two things you can do:

1. Enable Select and Manipulate GUID-FB7448B2-D8BD-4DCF-BACD-8D66F04834CC-low.png and modify the swivel gizmo.

2. Set a Swivel Target object in the motion panel. This is the preferred method.