Home Technical Talk

Is Photosourcing a bad word?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Zepic polycounter lvl 11
Lately I've been hearing artist say, "oh, so and so photosourced that...." Is using a photosourced texture considered cheating in this day in age? If you can make something look awesome in the end, does it really matter how you got there?

Replies

• Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Use whatever works. If it's clearly photosourced, meaning it looks like someone just slapped a photo onto a model with all the directional lighting, noise, etc that might come with it, then that is generally a bad thing. Photos are just another tool and can definitely be useful in texturing.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, if you see a model and you can spot the image that was pasted on it and left as is for the texture, that is a bad thing. Especially if the photo source has lighting etc that sticks out. Worse yet is when you can tell it had a very poorly done crazybump pass to create the normals, double yuck.

Using photos as source for masks, overlays, etc etc it common practice though. Anything you can do to improve your workflow is fair game, there really isn't much point in hand painting what you can easily generate or grab from a source texture.

Painting every little pixel by hand isn't something people really do anymore. For current gen stuff anyway, for mobile/oldschool super lowpoly stuff that is more common.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having a texture that looks photosourced is, BAD.
    Having a texture that used photos can look great, if you do it right.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    Anything that gets the job done is fine. Also, it shouldn't be considered as cheating but as an efficient workflow (as long as the artist knows what he's doing).
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goat Justice polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, I'd imagine that the unspoken part of calling something out as photo-sourced is that it's "obviously" photo-sourced. There are almost never hard rules for how to make good looking art. That being said photo-sourced texturing alone is a bit of an anemic skill set for creating materials. And its totally un-suited to some of the more abstract or painterly styles.

Broadly speaking, you get a better result for current gen textures by starting with a good Normal map and AO (usually high poly derived) then creating a diffuse to match. This tends to create more subtlety and depth in the normal map and a better match between details of the normal map and diffuse/spec/etc. Photo-sourcing often runs the other way, starting with a photo derived diffuse map that's then run through a normal map generation program. Usually these normal maps aren't as accurate and because they only have the values from photo diffuse to go on and have to sort of best-guess the actual depths represented. Additionally any lighting issues in the photo (strong directional lights or shadows) get read as depth information and rolled into the normal map as inaccurate high and low areas. A really good photo will minimize this, but the same even lighting that makes for a good photo will produce a fairly flat normal map.

Photos can still find a use for adding high frequency noise, or variations to the diffuse map, but their effect should probably be very subtle. And creating normal maps solely from filtered photos is probably asking for trouble.

That's a wall of text and its still scratching the surface of the topic. The best advice I can give is to check out tutorials on creating current-gen materials.
    There are some good ones here (a few even use photos in the process):
    http://www.philipk.net/tutorials/materials/materials.html

I'd imagine folks around PC can recommend a lot more.
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    Pretty much everyone (besides those working with a specific painterly art style) use a mixture of photo overlays and basic painted details.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I'll say what I said long time ago in another thread and echo what EQ said: It's yucky if you take the texture as a straight rip-out and run CB on it.

Hell, some people don't even have the decency to use CB's 'Remove Highlights/Shadows' feature for the diffuse! Talk about nasty and donwright lazy! I mean I understand you want to get the job done, but not running a couple of filters, as cheap looking as they may be is a new low I have been noticing in some games.

It also doesn't help that many textures are taken from big-name sites like CGTextures, so there is alot of sameness when they're not mixed, and it funny how 'change the color' without respecting cavity detail is considered good job in some places.
    It also doesn't help that I see quite a few artists (sadly, some of my friends did this) where it was them ripping out textures from games, and sourcing those, essentially using other peoples work for free.

So yeah, Photo-sourcing it's so much as a bad word, as it people have sullied the name of the game, and while again, getting the job done if the word of the day, there is a large difference on how you got there.
  • walkonsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    walkonsky polycounter lvl 11
    @ace-angel:
    could you explain what you mean by
    'change the color' without respecting cavity detail"
    are you talking about changing the hue of a photo to match your desired result and/or other layers in your texture?
    if so, would you mind to explain what cavity detail is in this context and what you would do to them when using photo sources?
    I'm just curious and would like to learn. ;)
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Well, in general (when it comes to baking) you can bake out your Cavity information, which many studios in the higher mark of things (like movies, etc) will use instead of AO on their diffuse in their shader to make things pop since it has more 'on place' information.

With textures, especially when sourcing them, alot of this detail exists naturally, and simple (let me remove highlights and inverse the effect) can get your some interesting shadow information to play around in your texture, especially if the texture is taken with a cast sky (EI: no hard shadows or highlights) hence requiring you to do it manually without any plugings (EI: ndo2), and avoiding the AO information from there.

And yeah, to a certain extent, to what you mentioned, effectively isolating said layers and using a simple Hue change on the base texture will allow you have greater flexibility, especially if you have to use darker colors which are naturally darker, like a red or blue tint.

It's nothing special if you have ndo2, you can also create a couple of actions like "Hard Cavity", "Soft Cavity", etc as actions in PS if you lack said plugin.

My rant was related on how something that can be so easily automated, and simple, is skipped upon and instead direct textures from CGTex are used instead, it's especially daunting in bigger studios and triple A titles, when they use a sand texture that looks bleached.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I noticed that photosourcing is more common for older engines , that do not have many of the more modern advanced features like ambient occlusion , shadows etc ... then photosourcing can add a lot more realism as long as is not just a copy and paste work .....

I also noticed that photosourcing is massively used in terrain textures and aerial texturing ... I doubt anyone usually does a hand paint job to make terrains and landscapes , of course manual edits are heavy as well but still I think the main body of those kind of textures come directly from photoes ...
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    end result is all that matters. i wouldnt use photo sourcing to emulate a hand painted aesthetic; i wouldn't use hand painting to emulate a photographic aesthetic.

you could spend all day trying to copy a photograph by hand for the prestige of being a hand-painter, but you're making about as much sense as a photosourcer trying to do painterly at that stage.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    NAIMA wrote: »
    I noticed that photosourcing is more common for older engines , that do not have many of the more modern advanced features like ambient occlusion , shadows etc ... then photosourcing can add a lot more realism as long as is not just a copy and paste work .....

I also noticed that photosourcing is massively used in terrain textures and aerial texturing ... I doubt anyone usually does a hand paint job to make terrains and landscapes , of course manual edits are heavy as well but still I think the main body of those kind of textures come directly from photoes ...

Crysis 2 and Skyrim disagrees with you. As well as Witcher 2, Guild Wars 2, TERA Online, Assassin's Creed 3. Just to mention games I played recently.
    All of them have heavly photosourced textures. It will never be noticeable for average player.

The point is that hand-painting texture do not always fit into aesthetics and this is only things that matter. As long as guidelines for look can be kept it's irreverent how you achieved it.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Actually I don't see why they should disagree , since I was referring just to those for terrains ... Crysis 2 uses photosourced not photoonly references... As I wrote , take a look to the forest texture , then look at the parallax mapping , there is no way you could do those just extracting them from a texture but they are worked and probably 3d reworked , so the terrain is made by a heavy mix of photosources and manual editing both on the texture and both on a 3d reconstruction to get out more details ... this could have been done either in photoshop only or perhaps even with some extra 3d stuff backed and then worked into the normal map . not counting then that all textures are tiled and rescaled in tone and luminosity to fit the needs of the engine , that's why you see that most of the textures look a bit more washed out , bland and darker than they look ingame ....
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My point was that it was still photsourced from photos, not sculpted, baked and painted (;. And meant for everything not just terrain.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    well yes, as is also the vegetation grass, but other vegetation types are for example painted , it really depends what comes out best , the palm trees in crysis 1 where most probably handpainted while ther trunk was photosourced and reworked .
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Palms were photsourced, I have even saw photo when the were taking photos of vegetation (it was palm branches).
    Branches placed over blue background and photographed.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Oh well , when I made my own palms I tried to "copy" the techniques used by them in cryengine 2 but I have handpainted them , it was long and tedious work but that was the result ...

Picture

now some other things where taken from photoes like wood , but then I had manually edited a lot , the sand instead was just noise and lot of handwork with application of a normal map taken from a tiled picture of a blurred sand and so on ...