Home Technical Talk

POM problem, need some help!

Hi guys, I was learning some Parallax occlusion mapping in Cryengine 3, i watched this tutorial

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd5Avnf_JuU"]Parallax Occlusion Mapping for CryEngine3 Tutorial - YouTube[/ame]

I used same method and my POM did not work/show up
Does anyone know whats causing this? (my Video card is a 9600GT DX10)

Untitled.jpg

Replies

• Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    i dont have time to look at your tutorial right now, but i am guessing it instructs you to place the heightmap in normal map's alpha channel

since 3.4.1 (?) the displacement map (height map) has to be saved seperately as <texturename>_displ.tif using the displacement map preset in the crytif exporter.
    The setup is that the heightmap still needs to be in the alpha channel. the RGB channels are not exported with the displacement map preset so you can have whatever you want in them.
    you dont need to input the map in the material editor. it just needs to have the correct naming and the engine will find it automatically.

documentation on the subject:
    http://freesdk.crydev.net/display/SDKDOC2/Parallax+Occlusion+Mapping
  • SlyRipper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SlyRipper polycounter lvl 6
    Also remind that you need to set "Config Spec" to Very High (or High at least) otherwise the POM will not be visable.

You can use the menu to change the settings or enter this "sys_spec=4" into the console.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Also your normal map MUST have the same prefix (name) as the displace, and have a _ddn Suffice. So the normal map would be saved as turd_ddn and the displacement as turd_displ.

If it doesn't apply try unchecking and re-checking the POM checkbox. You also have a very dated video card that should support POM, but a direct X 11 one would for sure. I know POM worked in dx10 in Cryengine 2.