Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Looking For Critique

jimmyjaba
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
jimmyjaba polycounter lvl 5
***Edit***

Happy new year to everyone. I hope everyone had a great holiday and Santa brought loads of new goodies to enjoy in 2013! I've finally got my portfolio finished off I was hoping people could take a few moments to lay down some honest truths about my work, site layout, navigation, that sort of thing. I'm actively seeking work both freelance and on site so any crits so I can improve my skills would probably be the best Christmas/New Years present I could ask for at the moment. Big thank you in advance!

Portfolio: http://www.jcportfolio.com/

Replies

• RMeeks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had to enable scripts for it to work in firefox . After enabling scripts it still seems a little twitchy.
  • jermaineb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jermaineb polycounter lvl 13
    id say your work is pretty cool. im just not a fan of the shadowboxer female character. I felt the gloves and her face could probably be fixed. besides that i think its really cool. its tough having a stylized portfolio :(
  • jimmyjaba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats really weird about Firefox. I've tried the site on three computers using Firefox and it worked fine each time. Also tried Chrome and IE and works fine. Has anyone else had a similar problem?
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    the anatomy on the survivor looks off especially in the shoulder/bicept area. the shadow boxers face looks manly and the feet look puffy.
  • jimmyjaba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback RJBonner, I'm not quite sure how you can have puffy feet but thanks for the comments. I guess I have to go back to the drawing board with some of these guys.:(
  • jimmyjaba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right then, I took on board the comments people have left and decided to scrap the female boxer completely and replace her with this guy. I started him ages ago and never got round to finishing him. What do you guys think? Is this a good move?

This
    femaleavbeauty.jpg

To this.
    riotcopbeauty2.jpg
  • jimmyjaba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A shameless new years bump, I edited the top post for convenience.
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Get rid of the javascript or flash. Whatever the heck it is, it's interfering with the loading of your portfolio site, and will definitely make things slower on mobile devices.

No one is impressed by them either.

I hear from recruiters all the time, they have to go through hundreds of portfolios and job applications. The number I hear is as low as 4 seconds to catch their eye before they look elsewhere, do you think they'll wait for some script to finish loading?

Put it all on one page, don't worry about the frames.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    On my monitor some pages are loading with a scroll bar and some aren't which is causing the page to shift left and right depending on content I am looking at. I think there is a way to force scroll bars on regardless of content size but I haven't done it in a while.

On the layout, I also think it is a little to much interface to show the work. It took my a couple of seconds to find the other work and I almost closed it thinking the scarecrow was your only art. At the very least I would swap the positions of the two navigation bars so that the elaborating images are at the bottom.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    love the setup, but not enough content in my opinion. maybe it because of the way its displayed but it looks underwhelming (in terms of quantity).
  • jimmyjaba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys, I'll go back to the drawing board and simplify things.:)