Home Technical Talk

zbrush stroke,precise positioning

Hi,
I am trying to do some pattern on a column.Look at the attachment.

2ymg01z.png
f2llw8.png
sevt3b.png

Thats the column,I am talking about.In the screenshot,you can also see the alpha that I want as pattern.Finally the pattern should stay on three red marked box.The problem with drag rectangle is,I can not position the stroke exactly horizontal or vertical.Is there a way to position stroke precisely(both angle and xy position-wise)?

Replies

• St.Sabath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St.Sabath polycounter lvl 11
    You can use projection master.
    Go into projection master,and if you want the pattern to be recessed in the column,first drag rectangle a square alpha on Zsub,then duplicate with Shift+Ctrl+s until you have a nice recess.after that you can drag rectangle your pattern and scale it in.
    Hope it makes sense,i could whip up a screen/vid at lunchtime if its not clear
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    gamenoob wrote: »
    .Is there a way to position stroke precisely(both angle and xy position-wise)?

Draw stoke out then shift. To keep it in the marked areas, Mask them out then invert the mask.

But it would probably be easier just to use Projection Master or Zapplink.
  • gamenoob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, I tried projection master a while.It did better for me.However there are few problems.Look at the snapshots.First one ,
    dh5v6s.png

You can see in the above picture that projection caused expansion at corner.It would be good to have a fade at corner.However, will this expansion cause problem in details extracting(normal mapping etc)?
    Secondly,the whole column should be precisely perpendicular to horizontal line,if I snap with shift key.But it is not showing that behavior!!! What has gone wrong guys?

Now lets talk about second snapshot.
    10f465y.png

You can see that patterns are sharp and shine.And depth looks ok for me.But you will that.When I "pickup" on projection master,details will be lost.Patterns will no longer look so sharp.Rather,it will look like bloby.And after "pickup on projection master",you will have more depth than you expected.Is there a slider type thing that can control this behavior?
    And you also see some noise in alpha.I did not paint it.How did they come in?

So after pickup,this is what I got.Below,
    rupmqu.jpg

And finally,if I apply this projection master technique,this works for a plane,square type form.If I need to apply a pattern on cylindrical shape,it look terrible.Should I show you guys snapshot of it? Is there a way that I could displace my stroke,move it,even rotate my stroke at certain degree? That type of capability could really be handy on hard surface sculpting.
    I tried several times with curve mode but it did not work for me.I hoped that I simply draw a curve,my stroke will be applied automatically on that line.But it is not working like that at all.First I drew a sample curve.Then my stroke did not apply.Rather,I had to move the points to reveal some weird position stroke.
  • St.Sabath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St.Sabath polycounter lvl 11
    About the offset angle on the model,is your model exported straight along axis from your 3D package?

The reason why the projection is blurry is probably because you have exported the model without equal quads.(in other words,create low poly model.
    UVMap it,then duplicate it,and divide it in equal quads before export) the result on subdivision in ZB,you will keep equal quads,thus better distribution of details on your model.
  • gamenoob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya St.Sabath, you are right.I did wrong within maya in first place.I correct pivot and axis.Now it is ok with snapping in zbrush.With blurry details,I do have to re-mesh the model from scratch,don't I? Because my mesh is already exceeding the polycount limit of zbrush.I guess some area have very dense polygon and some area have lighter polygon.

However,do you know any technique of placing strokes more precisely?

Bek wrote: »
    Draw stoke out then shift.
    I think I do not understand.After drawing,how do I shift position of stroke? I am curious if I can shift position of stroke.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Ah sorry I should've been more specific, when you draw a stroke out, pressing the shift key will snap it to angles. For placing strokes more accurately, have you tried turning polyframe on (shift+f I think) and looking at your topology to see where to stroke?
  • gamenoob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you Bek.I tested the shift key+snapping.Great it was.If I turn polyframe on,I see the edge lines of polygons.But how could that help me? Still I am placing stroke at approximate position not in precise.I wish I could place a stroke and then use up/down/left/right key to reposition the stroke.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    You can do that in Projection Master.. well, I'm not sure about with keys, but you can do it with the cursor. (After you draw the stroke, change from draw to move with the W key I think, Q to go back to draw) If you wanted to be super precise I would imagine Zapplink would be your best bet (plugin that makes Photoshop do Projection Master's job).
  • gamenoob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek wrote: »
    After you draw the stroke, change from draw to move with the W key I think, Q to go back to draw

But Bek, If I do that whole mesh move,rather the single stroke.
    [EDIT:I got it.I have to apply Q-W in projection master.Only then I can move around strokes.]
    I am checking zpplink.

wow,zapplink is great.Texturing is so easy with it.But how can zapplink do projection master's work, i do not understand.Zapplink is a texture painting tool where as projection master can deform geometry itself.

Is there a way of deforming mesh(rather than poly-painting) with zapplink?(like we do in projection master?)
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Hm that's weird, I was assuming zapplink would also do deformation. As a substitute, you could use Zapplink (for the accuracy) to texture the surface, then Mask By Colour (Intensity) and use the deformation palette to inflate the details out. Not the most ideal way to do it though..

Sure you can't get accurate enough with Projection Master?
  • gamenoob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    there are some severe problems with projection master.It projects too much.I wish there would be somekinda slider to control depth value.

2ilj9yq.jpg

I tried mask by intensity but it failed.When I press "mask by intensity" button under "masking",no mask applies.In photoshop I painted with pure black.

Here take a look
    spggef.png
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    The ZIntensity controls the depth with projection master. It's harder to notice when you're dropped to the document since you're staring at it straight on, but it still works the same. Use a few basic strokes to get a good value, or try storying a morph target first and then push the detail back a bit.

As for the intensity mask, be sure to turn off your texture once you have the mask created.
  • gamenoob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ cryrid,thank you.I tried ZIntensity and it worked.Though the depth did not change in realtime in 2.5D.But it is ok.I turned off texture but still black pattern color is visible.
    2i9o56t.png

I do not know why but this happened.
    This time mask by intensity worked with deformation palette settings.Problem lies within the picture that you will see.Here
    wrx2rd.png

See,it also deform other area that I do not want to be deformed.