Home Technical Talk

Texture Issues with 3DS Max and Unity

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Uncle_Gun polycounter lvl 6
Hey all

I am having a problem with my textures in both 3DS Max and Unity. I started creating a wood texture for a crate, which I modeled by splitting the crate into a fourth and adding the symmetry modifier twice in order to optimize my texture. When I did this, the texture looks good close up, but when I pan out there are visible lines on the top and on the side of the model. Here is an image to help clarify my issue:

problem.png

Though this is effect is more visible at far away distances, the game will have several objects that are far away. I have collapsed the modifiers and I still have the same issue. Is this a good way to do the model? Or should I simply create the crate in its entirely and texture accordingly? Thanks for the help!

P.S. I know that the texture looks pretty bad right now its still very WIP. I'm more concerned about the technical issue than the quality of the texture :)

Replies

• snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    try moving the uv in a little bit..should solve that.
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goat Justice polycounter lvl 10
    Hard to say without seeing the texture itself, but you might also need another pixel or two of padding around your UV islands. I'm not too familiar with Unity's texture pipeline, but if it's generating Mip maps and pulling in pixels of the wrong color it could explain why it gets worse at a distance.

You can also switch the color for empty areas of the texture from black to a brown similar to your wood (if it's currently setup that way). That way when the mips are generated it will pull in a very similar color even if it blends in a pixel from outside the UV island. Again its hard to say without seeing the texture if this is a possible cause.
  • Uncle_Gun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uncle_Gun polycounter lvl 6
    That might actually be the problem. The texture is terrible right now so I don't feel confident posting it, but the black background is all over the place lol I'll spread out the textures some more and change the base color to see if that's effective. Thanks for the quick responses you guys are awesome!
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    it helps to copy your diffuse and merge it down, then put a gaussian blur on it.
    put this new layer underneath you original diffuse (i do hope you dont have your background merged into your diffuse texture) and duplicate it a few times. you can merge that together aswell.
    this way you supply some more pixels with color around your uv edge and seams like this dont happen.