Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D Character wip need advise to improve.

Hello everyone! I am a student looking to improve my work.

I've been interested in character modeling for quite some time now and I am looking forward to hear everyone critics on the character I am currently working on.

I literally want you guy to rip her apart and tell me what I am doing wrong. I am willing to go as far to start all over just so I can get better.:)

syBGa.png
JSB8R.png
8aHfD.png
2ykwo.png
FlhKG.png
Uv0aC.png
LzEvD.png
5KB9N.png
7VtXa.png
J6Pp6.png
nwe01.png
JUdlU.png
T4IfO.png
SdlFk.png

Replies

• Faltzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More

9RGQa.png
    jsi2W.png
    3UEWR.png
    mrGfV.png
    w5pwc.png

Wireframe for low poly.

hWnEu.png
    a9MuN.png
    bTbjE.png
  • Faltzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump because it has been two weeks since I posted this thread hopping to get some feedback on my work but I did not get a single reply :(.
  • Lo Pan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there,

I would say the proportions are off anyway. You could shrink the bottom half of the model down quite a bit, maybe to 75% of the current size and then resize the feet up again. I can appreciate if you're going for a certain style , long legs etc. but you should use real life reference all the same. You should maybe aim to create a realistically proportioned woman using photo reference first. Then, blow out or shrink down areas on the model as you see fit, but a solid, believable base to start from would give your model a more believable look.

Hope that helps

Oh and I would redo the cloak again. Use photo reference, google image batman/superman/Legolas etc. or just 'cape' ,'cowl' to get good reference. You'll see those creases and folds should be running top to bottom not side to side
  • Faltzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much that is the kind of feedback I was looking for.

I will shrink that area it next time I get on my desktop.

My guess is that the reason I when out of proportion was because I model her with out setting up any reference images in maya like most people do, but don't get me wrong I did use some reference images I got online but I guess I still need more practice on that area hahaha.
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
    You have the same issue that I'm having. We both need work on our anatomy.
    Here's a nice quick ref sheet from idrawgirls.com. Your model is about 9 1/2 heads high as opposed to 7-8 heads high.
    how-to-draw-woman-figure.jpg

The next thing would be the cape. When cloth drapes it will have vertical folds not horizontal.
    midnight-velvet-cloak.jpg

The next few things to fix would be her feet and buttocks. Feet need more length and definition, and her posterior just looks round, as in no cheeks.

Frankly it's better than many of models I've made. You just need to pay more attention to form and proportion. It will reflect well in your end product.
  • Nina I.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nina I. polycounter lvl 5
    Hello Faltzer!

For one thing, I think you could work on her anatomy some more. In general it seems like you have been studying anatomy a fair bit, and I think it is partially because of the design of her top layer of clothes that distorts her proportions. However, I mage a quick paintover of the side view to show how I think you could modify her body.

faltzer_paintover.jpg

I assume you're going for a slightly stylized superhero look so I'm not implying you should follow realistic anatomy 1:1, but despite that I think her armpit could be moved a little down, closer to the level of the breast. Her posture seems off-balance, it feels like her feet are a little too short and too far back and she could fall forward. Personally I'd prefer moving the edge of her skirt a little higher to reveal her knee section, or bring it far further doww to add a better flow around the legs.

Keep it up :)
  • Faltzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nina I. wrote: »
    Hello Faltzer!

For one thing, I think you could work on her anatomy some more. In general it seems like you have been studying anatomy a fair bit, and I think it is partially because of the design of her top layer of clothes that distorts her proportions. However, I mage a quick paintover of the side view to show how I think you could improve her body.

faltzer_paintover.jpg

I assume you're going for a slightly stylized superhero look so I'm not implying you should follow realistic anatomy 1:1, but despite that I think her armpit could be moved a little down, closer to the level of the breast. Her posture seems off-balance, it feels like her feet are a little too short and too far back and she could fall forward. Personally I'd prefer moving the edge of her skirt a little higher to reveal her knee section, or bring it far further doww to add a better flow around the legs.

Keep it up :)

Not at all, I am trying to make something that looks natural. Thank you very much for your feedback, I will change those areas next time I get on my desktop.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I think everything people have mentioned is spot on with the cap folds, and anatomy. I would add that I really like the shapes and design of the armor, but I think a tad bit of color would make it look awesome. Just my thoughts.
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan sublime tool
    I think once you get the over all proportions worked out, you should touch up your textures. Her face I feel needs some work with proportion form but also could use some color break up. Skin is full of tiny pours wrinkles and blood vesicles. You can use a very subtle color spray brush on her to give a hint of that detail.
    I also think that you could benefit from a normal map or if you're already using one, overlay some detail normals on top to help break up the specularity. I would suggest using something like Crazy Bump. It's a free program that turns height maps into normal maps. You can use some of your texture layers like the armor scrapes, hexagonal pattern, or the facial color break up I mentioned earlier. Run them through Crazy Bump and plug them into your material to give the details some depth. Just be sure tone down the intensity so that they dont overwhelm the character.
    Lastly your spec map could use some tweaking. Her face should be far less shiny, and each material type should have a different specular quality.

Your textures are off to a good start, but with a few adjustments they could make your character look awesome. :) Be sure to look at plenty of reference and tutorials.
  • Faltzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think once you get the over all proportions worked out, you should touch up your textures. Her face I feel needs some work with proportion form but also could use some color break up. Skin is full of tiny pours wrinkles and blood vesicles. You can use a very subtle color spray brush on her to give a hint of that detail.
    I also think that you could benefit from a normal map or if you're already using one, overlay some detail normals on top to help break up the specularity. I would suggest using something like Crazy Bump. It's a free program that turns height maps into normal maps. You can use some of your texture layers like the armor scrapes, hexagonal pattern, or the facial color break up I mentioned earlier. Run them through Crazy Bump and plug them into your material to give the details some depth. Just be sure tone down the intensity so that they dont overwhelm the character.
    Lastly your spec map could use some tweaking. Her face should be far less shiny, and each material type should have a different specular quality.

Your textures are off to a good start, but with a few adjustments they could make your character look awesome. :) Be sure to look at plenty of reference and tutorials.

Thank you very much for all your suggestions I will make sure to remember them one month from now hahahah.

Yes that is how long it took me by working on it 3 to 4 hours per day but that is all part of gaining more experience :) .

Right now I am working on a new low res version in maya because I saw no point on working on the same model because of all the mistakes I made in the proportions.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I recommend changing the shape of her Cape, and her Skirt-thingy. Her body suit looks pretty cool, and she has nice hourglass figure, but with those clothes, the silhouette looks pretty plain and boring. Changing her color palette will help as well. I'd say more stylized color with good contrast.
  • Faltzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well here is what I have change so far.

I reduce the length of her legs, reduce the size of her rear, lower and reduce the length of her arms, increase the side of her feet and move her legs forward.

1mVLd.png
    k75Fn.png
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    I think you have taken two steps backwards in terms of proportions, and what happened to all your detail?
  • fantom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Take a model of a skeleton with good proportion, and build your female around it. Know it may be silly a little bit but just try. Right now I see that neck is a little bit to long and your arms should be up.

anim.gif hope its better ? Try to model hand a lottle bit down. not like on the image that I show but just 45 angle along the body. will be beter to model arm correctly I think. Cheers.
  • Faltzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples wrote: »
    I think you have taken two steps backwards in terms of proportions, and what happened to all your detail?

I deleted the old body with the textures because I saw no point in working on the same mesh because of all the mistakes I did on the proportions.

Right now I am just trying to get everything right before I move on to sculpting and texturing.
  • Faltzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fantom wrote: »
    Take a model of a skeleton with good proportion, and build your female around it. Know it may be silly a little bit but just try. Right now I see that neck is a little bit to long and your arms should be up.

anim.gif hope its better ? Try to model hand a lottle bit down. not like on the image that I show but just 45 angle along the body. will be beter to model arm correctly I think. Cheers.

Well I tweak her body more in maya and here is what I got so far.

szLrQ.png
    yBnOu.png
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    That neck is too thick and the shoulders too wide. Her trapezius is way to big to look feminine. the transition from the forearm to the wrist to the hand is off. Also you are lacking that natural s-curve that is found on a relaxed arm. The feet are in an unnatural position, they should be outward more. Look up some Loomis figures to check your proportions. Good luck!