Here's what I've been working on:

wip01.jpg

Concept:
CharacterTest2011_2.jpg

Things that are on my to-do list:
- skull necklace
- extra elbow armor (maybe)
- general wear and tear pass
If you see anything that needs work, C/C would be very much appreciated. Thanks, guys!

Replies

• whyareyoumakin1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whyareyoumakin1 polycounter lvl 7
    This is what I imagine the "Other" that takes bran to see the 3 eyed raven to look like from Game of Thrones, only with a bit more rot, wear and decay.

Lookin good!
  • Orangeknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
    Just a quick crit, I feel like you nailed alot of it but alot of the flames and stuff just are not very sharp and are to soft.
  • eazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks guys for the input! I went through and polished up a lot of edges and that kind of thing, then I went through and trashed it all with scratches and dents.

wip02_a.jpg
    wip02_c.jpg
    wip02_b.jpg

There's a few pieces that I skipped over, but only because they are temporary placeholders, and I intend to reuse similar meshes for baking out my normal maps.

Next step: Retopologizing.
  • JoeCyriac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man,

You've got some decent forms details overall, but I'd suggest a few changes:

Work on the overall gesture a bit more. I'd do this on subdiv level 1 or 2. The concept's pretty imposing. Your model seems a bit more slouched. Push his shoulders back, push his chest forward.

Fabric needs work. The folds aren't convincing right now. Pants especially. Reference, reference.

The lower half of his body seems a bit shortened. You can tell by the position of the fingertips in your model. The concept shows them mid thigh, yours almost reach the top of the kneepad.

Hope this helps, you've still got a lot of time so keep at it. :)
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    NICE! Keep going man. I might apply as well.
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    My honest advise, I would say clean up stuff before you move to retopoing the mesh. It feels like you are going hi poly way too soon in the sculpt. A lot of the sculpt has a bloby/mushy feeling to it. Step down a sub division or two and work at that level for a while. Make sure you have sharp clean edges where they need to be. Also, separate the straps. Don't try incorporating them into the base mesh, it makes things super messy. I also agree with changing the pose.
  • obsolete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    obsolete triangle
    Hey man i really like your take on the armor and especially all of the wolves (chest and shoulder) and the flames look awesome too bit maybe they need to be a bit more crisp on the edges?
    Good luck with baking :)
  • eazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for all the really great feedback! I spent some time looking at the fabric, the proportions, and overall details throughout.

Here's my latest:
    wip03_d.jpg

(Just a quick note: the shin-guards will be copies of the arm guards, so that's why they look particularly gross right now. Just temporary placeholders.)
  • eazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    Retopo, uving, and bakes are done! Going forward into painting up some textures now.

wip04_a.jpg

wip04_b.jpg
  • DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeeKei polycounter lvl 12
    That looks awesome man keep it up!
  • eazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks so much DeeKei!

Here are my final renders:

anIntn_01.jpg

anIntn_02.jpg

anIntn_05.jpg
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    WELL now....that's quite bad-ass.

I especially like the gold lion and arm bracer. Really fucking cool, and well made.
  • Lo Pan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work! Best of luck
  • ablaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ablaine polycounter lvl 14
    Very nice work, man! I would suggest adding a little more hue variation to the gold pieces.. right now it's looking a bit too pale yellow. Maybe work in a dark to light gradient from the ground up? Good luck!
  • eazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    Thank you so much tristamus and Lo Pan. ablaine, your advice is always so good! Thanks for your valuable input. I actually just saw in my inbox that my submission didn't go through because the jobs@arena.net mailbox is full. I really hope they get everything figured out soon!