Home Technical Talk

How to start Dota2 Cosmetic modeling in 3D Max

Greeting people.
Im a new guy here.
been working as archviz artist for quite some years...
but im ABSOLUTELY NEW to gaming field.
so please guide me a little as this will be my 1st art work for game modeling. :)

1- Back to basic... Scaling.
unitsetup.jpg
what unit should i set before i start importing mesh from dota2 model???
Display unit: i personally don think this will affect anything as it is just display. i would put cm. let me know if anything wrong there.
System Unit Scale: this is quite important to me as archviz artist. should be set and stick with it before any project start. in this case, dota2 game modeling what System Unit scale should i set? is there any specific unit that fits what dota2 engine use?
(i do understand i can always use reset Xform to adjust at later stage. but would prefer make it accurate since begining)

2- which format should i import???
there are several formats for diff heroes in game. I will be working on shadow shaman as my 1st hero. i downloaded FBX and SMD file format...
but i have some little problem here....

FBX:
fbx.jpg
as u can see... when i imported this FBX... something wrong with the head... it is missing....
and also the texture/mapping. they are not there.
it shows the shader applied into it was "DirectX Shader", and i have absolutely no clue how to use that...

fbx02.jpg
but the bone looks pretty well organize though.

SMD:
smd01.jpg
looks pretty good here...
The material that is applied into the model when i import SMD format is "standard" material. i basically just link back the mapping tga files and this is what i got... do i need to drop any normal maps, bump maps etc etc???
didnt see any slots there but do saw those mapping came together with the models...

smd02.jpg
SMD format does cause bone problem for me though.
it looks very messy here... any clue to fix this??

so which format is best to start with???
im confused. and i don feel like pick up maya.

3- Is there any tutorial or guide for dota2 cosmetic in 3DsMax??? i been searching around, but sometimes i just couldnt find those minor minor things that i want to know.

4- any important thing for a newbie like me? :)

Sorry for the long winded question guys.
and thanks for u guys spending your time to read my topic.
would really appreciate if someone can enlighten me on this. im really excited to work on this and hopefully i wont be too much procrastinate.

Thanks in advance!!!

Replies

• My Fault
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My Fault polycounter lvl 10
    Check this thread, it is filled with juicy DOTA2 goodness http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100016
  • Deetee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya. i came across this topic some time ago...
    but it is already more than 100 pages man... it is hard for me to read up all from scracth.
    i did try to read, but most of them are not what i need to know now.
    such as early of the topic they are saying how to decompile the model... which i dont need to know anymore since i downloading valve model...

and also i hope to know bit by bit, step by step, just start with this topic on scaling and fbx or smd to go... since both cause diff type of problem to me...

i did research a bit and i did try to read up the topic u posted for me, but i just cant find what im looking for. or i could missed it, since sometimes i'll just skip few pages by few pages to find what i want...

it would be great if someone can pinpoint regarding the issue im facing. :(
    guru here... help pls.... :(
  • Deetee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no one can help in my this specific question? :(
  • Deras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    to be fair these are incredibly specific questions, which i have a feeling only a few people in here can answer.

i dont know how 3ds works, but in Maya you can save as Binary, and then check the code for errors, that might fix the head not appearing.

for the texture i suppose that either the texture format is not supported, or the texture has been misplaced.

for the bone structure i'm clueless, sorry.

for the Units, i'm clueless aswell....

this is just a hunch, but i'd guess that is what is wrong :)